Should we (the U.S.) increase the number executions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:00:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should we (the U.S.) increase the number executions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Should we be executing more people?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Should we (the U.S.) increase the number executions?  (Read 9098 times)
CJK
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:06:36 PM »

Yes. We're only executing 50 per year, considering that there are more than 10,000 murders each year I figure we should be executing at least 1,000 convicted murderers each year to establish a viable deterent.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »

No, you should be executing 0 people a year.
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:17:59 PM »

Yes. We're only executing 50 per year, considering that there are more than 10,000 murders each year I figure we should be executing at least 1,000 convicted murderers each year to establish a viable deterent.

No, allowing CCW would be a viable deterent.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 06:23:10 PM »

Let's not feed the troll, people....
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »

I say we execute the trolls and create a viable deterent.
ARescan
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »

No we're fine. Although I'm in favor of allowing the CIA to again assassinate people, since they were stripped of that, their effectiveness has gone down the tubes. Although they must be regulated, they can't just go and assassinate whoever they want like they did before.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:31:15 PM »

No, you should be executing 0 people a year.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »

No, unless the number of mass murderers and rapists rapidly increases.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:34:58 PM »

Having the same punishment for murder and rape would only increase the amount of murders.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »

Having the same punishment for murder and rape would only increase the amount of murders.

True; and I hate to say it, particularly the killing of children.

To answer the question there should be no executions at all.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »

What we really need to do if were going to keep the death penalty is drastically reduce the time between sentencing and executing said sentence.  A death penalty that has people staying on death row for over a decade is not worth having.  Either figure out a way to speed up the appeals process or eliminate the death penalty altogether.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 08:25:34 PM »

Yes, as long as I get to do it.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 09:11:43 PM »

There's no such thing like a deterrent for murder.

Murder is either premeditated (in which case the culprit didn't plan on getting caught in the first place) or it happens "in the heat of the moment" (in which case the culprit didn't plan on committing a murder).

And I highly doubt that the line of reasoning in cases of premeditated murders is: "Hey, I live in a place without the death penalty. The worst that can happen to me is that I get a life sentence. That doesn't sound so bad. At least I won't have to worry about becoming homeless some day. And it's totally worth it when it means that I can kill that bastard."
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:26:16 PM »

No we're fine. Although I'm in favor of allowing the CIA to again assassinate people, since they were stripped of that, their effectiveness has gone down the tubes. Although they must be regulated, they can't just go and assassinate whoever they want like they did before.

inb4 JFK.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »

Only if the number of people convicted who warrant the death penalty rises.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »

We should divide the number of current executuionees by infinity & execute that number of people.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 10:00:07 PM »

Absolutely not.  I favor an immediate and permanent ban on all capital punishment.

fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 01:53:50 AM »

How about legalizing marijuana to cut gangs off from one of their main sources of income.  If gang related murders in Los Angeles were eliminated the rate would drop by over 50%.  Now there's a deterrent.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 05:34:58 AM »

Murder is either premeditated (in which case the culprit didn't plan on getting caught in the first place) or it happens "in the heat of the moment" (in which case the culprit didn't plan on committing a murder).

And I highly doubt that the line of reasoning in cases of premeditated murders is: "Hey, I live in a place without the death penalty. The worst that can happen to me is that I get a life sentence. That doesn't sound so bad. At least I won't have to worry about becoming homeless some day. And it's totally worth it when it means that I can kill that bastard."
And maybe I can get my teeth fixed in prison, too!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 06:28:46 AM »

Sorry, but you definition is a little defective.  Murder is criminal homicide with malice aforethought.

In addition, the degree of punishment is but one of several factors in general deterrence (other being likelihood of being apprehended, likelihood of conviction, likelihood of capital punishment being imposed, etc.)

Finally, execution is a proven specific deterrence.  Executed persons do not break out of prison to kill again.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 06:28:47 AM »

It would be far more of a punishment to give them a life sentence without parole anyway.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 07:00:24 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2010, 07:06:25 AM by Old Europe »

Sorry, but you definition is a little defective.  Murder is criminal homicide with malice aforethought.

Doesn't rule out the possibility that actual manslaughterers are charged with murder though... in which case a culprit without malice aforethought could be executed anyway.

Since the justice system is far from being infallible, there are murderers who are convicted of manslaughter and manslaughterers who are convicted of murder. Since the line is that blurred my argument bears relevance.

Finally, execution is a proven specific deterrence.  Executed persons do not break out of prison to kill again.

That's no deterrence though. That's a preemptive measure against prison breaks.

According to your line of thought, the death penalty would make prison breaks more likely though. Actually facing an execution gives you another strong incentive to escape prison.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 07:20:03 AM »

Sorry, but you definition is a little defective.  Murder is criminal homicide with malice aforethought.

Doesn't rule out the possibility that actual manslaughterers are charged with murder though... in which case a culprit without malice aforethought could be executed anyway.

Since the justice system is far from being infallible, there are murderers who are convicted of manslaughter and manslaughterers who are convicted of murder. Since the line is that blurred my argument bears relevance.

Finally, execution is a proven specific deterrence.  Executed persons do not break out of prison to kill again.

That's no deterrence though. That's a preemptive measure against prison breaks.

According to your line of thought, the death penalty would make prison breaks more likely though. Actually facing an execution gives you another strong incentive to escape prison.

First, it doesn't matter the charge, but rather the offense for which one is convicted.  Capital punishment is NOT an option in anywhere in the United States for voluntary (or involuntary manslaughter).

Second, studies by the National Institute of Justice have indicated that juries are loathe to convict of murder as opposed to manslaughter when there is any reasonable doubt as to the mens rea.

Third, you really need to examine the literature (including the writings of jurists over the past two centuries) with respect to the difference between specific and general deterrence.

Finally, you speculation on incentives to escape incarceration is not founded in actual data.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 08:46:20 AM »

No, you should be executing 0 1 people a year.

I'd make an exception for CJK. Grin
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 09:02:10 AM »

It would be far more of a punishment to give them a life sentence without parole anyway.

^This^

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather prefer a quick death than having to spend 80 emty and meaningless years inprisoned. One of the many reasons I'm against Capital Punishment is that I think it's a too easy way out for some of the more cruel and cold-blooded criminals.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies