Is Mitt Romney a serious contender for President in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:18:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is Mitt Romney a serious contender for President in 2012?
Yes (R)

No ((R)

Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (O)

No (O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Is Mitt Romney a serious contender for President in 2012?  (Read 3496 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2010, 09:58:29 PM »

Please vote and discuss if you wish.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:01:47 PM »

Yes, but that doesn't make him any less awful.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 10:02:24 PM »

Given the fact that he came very close to winning in 2008, that he's leading in many polls, and that most people think he'll win, I'd say so.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »

Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »

ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »

Yes. He definitely is. I'm personally not a fan of Romney's. Some of his changes in his political views seemed a bit too convenient to me (meaning they seemed to coincide too well with his entering the '08 race), but that said, I have to believe he is a serious contender. He, Huckabee, and Palin, have been leading most of the polls to this point, and if 2012 is anywhere near as much of a Republican year as I expect it to be, anyone who is a serious player in the GOP primary has to be considered viable in the race as a whole.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:06:26 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:12:51 PM »

Sorry Winfield, but what is the purpose of this poll?  Obviously the guy is a serious contender, as he is arguably the frontrunner for the GOP nomination.  What more is there to discuss on this topic?

You were more amusing when you did polls like this:

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=94046.0
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 10:16:12 PM »

for the nomination (perhaps)

for the presidency (no)

On second thought, this is more accurate.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 10:27:03 PM »

Sorry Winfield, but what is the purpose of this poll?  Obviously the guy is a serious contender, as he is arguably the frontrunner for the GOP nomination.  What more is there to discuss on this topic?

Well, that got 8 pages of replies.  It must have been of interest to some.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »

Well, that got 8 pages of replies.  It must have been of interest to some.

That's my point.  Polls like that were amusing.  This one....I can't figure out what the point of it is.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 10:37:05 PM »

The point of this poll should be self explanatory, and that is to find out, at this point in time, from the members of this forum their view on this subject.

So far 9 out of 12 believe Romney to be a serious contender for President in 2012.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »

for the nomination (perhaps)

for the presidency (no)
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 01:27:52 AM »

Mitt Romney is epic fail.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 01:30:58 AM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 01:48:31 AM »

He seems as serious as McCain did in 2006.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 11:05:25 AM »

Even though I do not want a Repub to win in 2012, isn't it best for the GOP to nominate someone who was NOT affiliated in any way shape or form with the presidential election of 2008?

I mean, how can someone vote for Romney, Huckabee, or Palin without being tied to the major loss of 2008? Why isn't the GOP looking for candidates such as Thune, Pence, Cantor, Crist, etc.
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »

Even though I do not want a Repub to win in 2012, isn't it best for the GOP to nominate someone who was NOT affiliated in any way shape or form with the presidential election of 2008?

I mean, how can someone vote for Romney, Huckabee, or Palin without being tied to the major loss of 2008? Why isn't the GOP looking for candidates such as Thune, Pence, Cantor, Crist, etc.

I don't think that's as important as avoiding nominating a McCain style candidate. There were a lot of Republicans (myself included) who just had to hold our noses and vote for "the lesser of the two evils."

I think a lot of the reason McCain was nominated wasn't so much because he was considered the best candidate, but because it was "his turn." A repeat of that must be avoided.
Rudy
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »

Unfortunately yes, I do see that Mitt Romney has the willingness and capability to win the Nomination of the Republican Party. Do I support his efforts? Certainly not. Romney has no real principles of his own, Mitt Romney is whatever Mitt Romney needs to be to win the next election.
Guderian

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 04:13:13 PM »

I don't see how this makes any sense. Primary losers went on to win the presidency later in their careers many times, even primary losers who lost to a guy who went on to lose in general election. Actually, Republicans have a strong bias towards nominating candidates who lost a primary at some point (Reagan, Bush 41, Dole, McCain). Even Palin can take comfort in the fact that FDR won the presidency after being a failed VP candidate in 1920.  

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing some fresh blood in 2012. Thune is a low-key, not very well known guy who hardly ignites any passion and doesn't have a power base, electoral appeal or high name recognition. I think he could be solid VP pick, especially if Romney is the nominee, since he will need a young, evangelical Senator to balance the ticket. Pence has some pretty significant base following and I personally like him, he also has a certain amount of charisma and leadership skills but he also has the name recognition problem plus the fact that Congressmen face terrible odds in presidential races. Another guy who is more likely VP material in my opinion. Cantor has the same problems as Pence, and not as much strong suits. Crist is a laughable 2012 prospect as Marco Rubio is about to retire him politically in Florida Senate primaries.

Other potential new name worth mentioning is Pawlenty, maybe Mitch Daniels if he wants to be involved. Overall, I consider Romney the frontrunner at this moment.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 02:10:16 AM »

Naw. Compare to Reagan in 1976 and 1980.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 06:56:39 AM »

Romney cannot be a serious contender for the presidency until he can figure out who he is and what he really stands for.  How much pandering, how much issue-flipping, and how many millions of dollars of his own money did he have to spend in order to finish behind McCain and Huckabee?
He may get the establishment, but he wont win the primary voters.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 10:18:14 AM »

With the Republicans' main initiative is to oppose a health care plan identical to what Romney helped pass in Massachusetts, how are his opponents going to resist tarring him with that?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 10:56:59 AM »

Romney cannot be a serious contender for the presidency until he can figure out who he is and what he really stands for.  How much pandering, how much issue-flipping, and how many millions of dollars of his own money did he have to spend in order to finish behind McCain and Huckabee?
He may get the establishment, but he wont win the primary voters.

Amen to that.

Just remember, you will get a lot of heat from some Romney supporters for saying he finished third.

With the Republicans' main initiative is to oppose a health care plan identical to what Romney helped pass in Massachusetts, how are his opponents going to resist tarring him with that?

This, too.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies