Democrat primary challenge in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:00:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Democrat primary challenge in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Democrat primary challenge in 2012?  (Read 2419 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »

There is a good chance I would support a true left wing populist over Obama. Not some phony like Edwards or Howie Dean.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 01:22:54 AM »

There is a good chance I would support a true left wing populist over Obama. Not some phony like Edwards or Howie Dean.

I don't know that Dean ever really attempted to grab a 'populist' mantel in the first place and who are some of these true left wing populists you speak of?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 03:35:31 AM »

Nobody is gonna challenge Obama; I'd support Kucinich if he ran, though.

Lol, a warmongering neocon Dem supporting Kucinich?

It must be Obama's race that bothers you, since your views and Obama's are basically identical.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 03:36:57 AM »

Democratic.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »

Hillary Clinton may challenge if Obama is in the 30s.
Guderian

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 02:54:29 PM »

We could just as well see something like Buchanan's challenge of Bush 41 in 1992 if Obama doesn't manage to achieve at least some of the hard left's major political goals. Not a terribely serious challenge, but enough to cause discomfort.

No way he gets challenged from the party's right wing, that's for sure.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »

It'd be almost impossible for Clinton to justify primarying Obama from the Cabinet, especially since foreign policy has probably been the biggest strong suit of the Administration so far.  She'd have to pull a Palin and resign from her job, which would look extremely bad after two years as SecState.

None of the other people mentioned would seriously consider it.  Warner's still getting his sea legs in the Senate, and would not want to allow the GOP to put someone in his brand-new Senate seat.  Schweitzer is an unknown in most of the country, and being governor of Montana isn't a great place to start.  Kucinich is irrelevant.

What it boils down to is that Clinton is the only one who could pull a serious challenge, and she won't.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »

It'd be almost impossible for Clinton to justify primarying Obama from the Cabinet, especially since foreign policy has probably been the biggest strong suit of the Administration so far.  She'd have to pull a Palin and resign from her job, which would look extremely bad after two years as SecState.

None of the other people mentioned would seriously consider it.  Warner's still getting his sea legs in the Senate, and would not want to allow the GOP to put someone in his brand-new Senate seat.  Schweitzer is an unknown in most of the country, and being governor of Montana isn't a great place to start.  Kucinich is irrelevant.

What it boils down to is that Clinton is the only one who could pull a serious challenge, and she won't.

I don't think even Clinton could seriously challenge Obama. I mean, Obama actually gave Clinton her current job, so it wouldn't make sense for her to run against him, especially when chances are Obama would win the nomination by a far larger margin than in 2008.
KeeptheChange
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 06:03:19 PM »

It's very rare that a sitting President is ever challenged by anyone in his own party.  Not a serious challenge anyhow.  I mean you could have a real fringe type like Pat Buchanad did against Bush.

For Obama, as bad as he has ruined this country, I don't see any Democrat being able to take him down and they won't want to weaken him any worse than he will be in 12.  If someone does run it will be Dennis Kookcinich or maybe someone from the conservative wing of the party like Zell Miller.  (Haha!  He may be the last conservative Demo left!)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 06:03:45 PM »

Nobody is gonna challenge Obama; I'd support Kucinich if he ran, though.

Lol, a warmongering neocon Dem supporting Kucinich?

It must be Obama's race that bothers you, since your views and Obama's are basically identical.

LOL.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 06:48:40 PM »

I can see a more liberal Democrat running and a more conservative Democrat running, but Obama still has the majority of moderates and a good number of liberals and conservative Democrats in his camp.

So, in a nutshell, not really.
milhouse24
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »

I think Dennis the Menace would run in the primary.  He's got a hot wife too!  I met him once by accident, he's tiny, literally ran right into me.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 12:29:37 AM »

We could just as well see something like Buchanan's challenge of Bush 41 in 1992 if Obama doesn't manage to achieve at least some of the hard left's major political goals. Not a terribely serious challenge, but enough to cause discomfort.

No way he gets challenged from the party's right wing, that's for sure.

Maybe someone like Ed Schultz?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies