Why do so many people think in terms that are Black and white?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:26:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why do so many people think in terms that are Black and white?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do so many people think in terms that are Black and white?  (Read 1953 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:40:42 PM »

Philosophers who talk about mastering the self suggest that we must learn to look beyond our perceptions, beyond good and evil, beyond true and false. In the West this may almost be impossible because it seems that everyone must deem something to be good, bad, or a mix of both. Thus how can our world view even I evolve if we are constantly thinking in terms of Good vs Evil, Black or White and so forth?

Judea-Christian principles teach us to "be good to your neighbor",but eastern philosophies would be confused because to them " you are the neighbor". Thus it might be that our culture has created a system that makes it almost impossible to ascend our simple world view.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »

You are, like, so totally deep, man.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »

Not really this is a basic question.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 06:45:15 AM »

Westerners do seem almost pathetically childish most of the time, HJ.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:11:25 AM »

It's easier. And thus very attractive to both the (even just somewhat) stupid - or just the old -  and to the merely intellectually lazy.
As to why it's easier, we're dealing with some very deeply ingrained principles here. This part of the question is neurology (and to an extent evolution theory), not philosophy. It probably helps survival if your brain just recognizes an item as a leopard or not a leopard rather than give an accurate assessment of what part of what's likely a leopard you've seen out of the corner of your eyes, and how likely exactly what you've seen is to have been a leopard.

Al was flippant because of the criticism of Christianity, of course. Or perhaps the idealized view of eastern religion, which in its everyday application is frequently just as bad.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »

It's easier. And thus very attractive to both the (even just somewhat) stupid - or just the old -  and to the merely intellectually lazy.
As to why it's easier, we're dealing with some very deeply ingrained principles here. This part of the question is neurology (and to an extent evolution theory), not philosophy. It probably helps survival if your brain just recognizes an item as a leopard or not a leopard rather than give an accurate assessment of what part of what's likely a leopard you've seen out of the corner of your eyes, and how likely exactly what you've seen is to have been a leopard.

Al was flippant because of the criticism of Christianity, of course. Or perhaps the idealized view of eastern religion, which in its everyday application is frequently just as bad.

eastern philosophy challenges us to look beyond black and white thinking, and many eastern philosophies helped western philosophers to look beyond black and white thinking. The taoists suggest that the forces work against and with each other at the same time(Yin and Yang...Hegel was into taoism). Buddhism suggests that we should look beyond our perceptions and think less in terms of good vs evil(many existentialists were influenced by eastern schools of thought). These western philosophers and Philosophies were able to go beyond the common Dichotomy that has dominated western thought.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »

People are attracted to strength in individuals. When you can phrase your views in absolute terms with absolute conviction, people are more likely to support you. Because of that, it is greatly to the advantage of people in positions of power to espouse world views that promise objective truth, such as saying Al Qaeda is evil & they want to destroy us because we support democracy & are good.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »

eastern philosophy challenges us to look beyond black and white thinking, and many eastern philosophies helped western philosophers to look beyond black and white thinking. The taoists suggest that the forces work against and with each other at the same time(Yin and Yang...Hegel was into taoism). Buddhism suggests that we should look beyond our perceptions and think less in terms of good vs evil(many existentialists were influenced by eastern schools of thought). These western philosophers and Philosophies were able to go beyond the common Dichotomy that has dominated western thought.

Perhaps, but then of course you have things like the Mandate of Heaven and Confucianism.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 12:04:06 AM »

Because it's easy and convenient.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 07:15:26 AM »

Because it is more accurate. It is also more practical.

It always amuses me what a black view of viewing things in black and white some people have.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 07:34:13 AM »

Because people are lazy and think in absolute terms.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 07:42:03 AM »

Given what I saw from you in our most recent debate, I'm inclined to agree with this.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 08:08:42 AM »

Given what I saw from both of you in your most recent debate, I'm inclined to agree with this.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »

Roll Eyes
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 11:08:47 AM »

Given what I saw from you in our most recent debate, I'm inclined to agree with this.

How was that in any way relevant?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 12:38:05 PM »

i think your yang has gone limp.  first off, Christianity only views God as good.  We call some certain people "evil" not to say that we ourselves are "good", but rather to point out that their intentions are only bent on evil.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 12:41:02 PM »

I was going to post almost exactly the same thing, except in more black-and-white terms Grin
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 01:05:03 PM »

i think your yang has gone limp.  first off, Christianity only views God as good.  We call some certain people "evil" not to say that we ourselves are "good", but rather to point out that their intentions are only bent on evil.

I realize that you see god as good, but you also see the devil as evil. The taoist perspective would suggest that their is both a good and evil in both god and the devil, or they may say that God and the Devil are both one in the same. On the other hand the buddhist would say that god is neither good or evil.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »

I was going to post almost exactly the same thing, except in more black-and-white terms Grin
You would have used a zebra instead of a leopard? Why? Huh
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 01:26:46 PM »

I realize that you see god as good, but you also see the devil as evil. The taoist perspective would suggest that their is both a good and evil in both god and the devil, or they may say that God and the Devil are both one in the same. On the other hand the buddhist would say that god is neither good or evil.

ok, thanks for the info
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »

Because it is more accurate. It is also more practical. 

It is far less accurate, though it is more practical.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »

How was that in any way relevant?

How on earth is it not relevant?  I was merely pointing out that your side of our debate helped to demonstrate the truth of your post in this thread.  For heavens' sake, I'm agreeing with you!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »

You would have used a zebra instead of a leopard? Why? Huh

No, silly, just a snow leopard.  Because they're cooler.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies