If a lion could talk we could not understand him-Ludwig Wittgenstein.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:10:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If a lion could talk we could not understand him-Ludwig Wittgenstein.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If a lion could talk we could not understand him-Ludwig Wittgenstein.  (Read 2451 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:11:17 PM »

This statement means that words can only be understood because of the context that goes along with them, and such an observation should obviously lead one to conclude that if Aliens landed on this planet it may be impossible to understand each other.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:45:39 PM »

Oh.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »

This statement means that words can only be understood because of the context that goes along with them, and such an observation should obviously lead one to conclude that if Aliens landed on this planet it may be impossible to understand each other.

just think about how hard it would be for someone to communicate with another person 400 years ago, obviously the language barrier would not be the only problem.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:41:26 PM »

just think about how hard it would be for someone to communicate with another person 400 years ago, obviously the language barrier would not be the only problem.

Obviously; time travel is quite a difficult barrier to breach.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:59:14 PM »

well obviously but we would have to assume that it is possible for time travel in order to douse our intellect with the implications of Wittgenstein's statement.
Katherine Harris is legit
D Parker
United States
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 10:49:04 PM »

I disagree.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »

with what? and before you disagree could you offer a critique?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »

well obviously but we would have to assume that it is possible for time travel in order to douse our intellect with the implications of Wittgenstein's statement.

"This is dialectics.  It’s very simple dialectics.  One through nine, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions. You can't travel in space, you can't go out into space, you know, without, like, you know, uh, with fractions - what are you going to land on - one-quarter, three-eighths? What are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something? That's dialectic, physics, okay.  Dialectic logic is, there’s only love and hate.  You either love somebody or you hate em."
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 12:36:01 AM »

"This is dialectics.  It’s very simple dialectics.  One through nine, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions. You can't travel in space, you can't go out into space, you know, without, like, you know, uh, with fractions - what are you going to land on - one-quarter, three-eighths? What are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something? That's dialectic, physics, okay.  Dialectic logic is, there’s only love and hate.  You either love somebody or you hate em."

its a thought experiment.....
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 12:54:40 AM »

its a thought experiment.....

sorry for my joke, welcome to the forum
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 01:04:54 AM »

Until I noticed the quotations, I really thought you had flown off the deep end.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:52:54 AM »

I still wonder what the quote is from.

A lion can talk. A lion does talk. We can understand a little of it. Though, clearly, not much.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 06:44:01 AM »

A lion can talk. A lion does talk. We can understand a little of it. Though, clearly, not much.

As in 'Grr, I'm going to bite you'?  You know they mostly bite non-Christians. Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 07:06:47 AM »

Apocalypse Now.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 07:14:08 AM »

As in 'Grr, I'm going to bite you'?  You know they mostly bite non-Christians. Sad
I don't think lion grammar is that complex. And they mostly just talk to each other, of course, not to other species. No more than we do. No, probably less than we do. [thinks of himself talking to cats]
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 10:12:49 AM »

I don't think lion grammar is that complex. And they mostly just talk to each other, of course, not to other species. No more than we do. No, probably less than we do. [thinks of himself talking to cats]

The point is that we can not understand the lion because we do not understand the context that he is speaking in. Humans have never been put in a zoo, or lived the life of a lion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 06:03:45 PM »

The point is that we can not understand the lion because we do not understand the context that he is speaking in. Humans have never been put in a zoo, or lived the life of a lion.

Yeah everybody understands that.  But we do share lots of experiences.  I for example have eaten raw meat, and I loved it.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 06:37:18 PM »

Yeah everybody understands that.  But we do share lots of experiences.  I for example have eaten raw meat, and I loved it.

you are claiming  that sharing a common experience is what can bond us, but one could simply claim that "isn’t it that our instinct tells us that lions could not have any conceivable share in our world?". This is because lion does not live on the same intellectual plain and humans do, and thus it may be impossible to understand the lion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »

you are claiming  that sharing a common experience is what can bond us, but one could simply claim that "isn’t it that our instinct tells us that lions could not have any conceivable share in our world?". This is because lion does not live on the same intellectual plain and humans do, and thus it may be impossible to understand the lion.

I'm extremely skeptical of claims that human's 'intellectual plane' is so very different from animals. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »

There would be points of commonality, however.  The human and the lion both eat meat.  The human and the lion may both hunt.

The conversation might be boring, but it could be understood, in part.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »

Scientist: "Yo, Leo, what up?"
Lion: "Leadin' my pride, chillin' with my hos.  You?"
Scientist: "I know, man!  You alpha lions get so much tail!  All 'em lion bitches be on you like flies on sh**t!"
Lion: "Appreciate, yo!  I make it rain gazelle guts.  They wanna eat, they gotta give the masta his end.  Any other lion come 'round these parts, I put a claw in his ass."
Scientist: "I gotta fly, bro!"
Lion: "Leo out!"

Yeah, that's one of the more shameful things I've ever written.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 12:16:35 AM »

Lions don't have recursion.  Therefore, they don't have a grammar.  Therefore, they don't have language.

Noam Chomsky über alles.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 01:55:51 AM »

Was this the early or late Wittgenstein talking? 

If it's the early Wittgenstein, we could not understand a talking lion because his formal language could not be broken down into numbered propositions and the rest of what he says he should really keep silent about.

If it's the later Wittgenstein, we could not understand a talking lion because his language-game is associated with uses and communities that are not familiar to human beings because they scare the sh**t out of us and, when we happen upon them, we run for our lives instead of listening a while.

HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »

Was this the early or late Wittgenstein talking? 

If it's the early Wittgenstein, we could not understand a talking lion because his formal language could not be broken down into numbered propositions and the rest of what he says he should really keep silent about.

If it's the later Wittgenstein, we could not understand a talking lion because his language-game is associated with uses and communities that are not familiar to human beings because they scare the sh**t out of us and, when we happen upon them, we run for our lives instead of listening a while.

Thats a good point and i am surprised that no one else has brought it up, and i have always found it interesting how wittgenstein would either change his mind or have a hard time setteling with one idea.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies