Who has the best election coverage so far
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:25:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who has the best election coverage so far
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who has the best election coverage so far  (Read 5807 times)
California Dreamer

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2004, 10:07:07 PM »

Well the primary season is pretty much over...so who has had the best election coverage (both on election nights and everyday political coverage)

In my opinion they all have good points.
Fox has the best graphics
CNN has the best exit poll analysis
MSNBC has the best commentators analysis

overall I think MSNBC is best (before anyone says they are biased to the left, Chris Mattthews their political anchor voted for Bush and their two primary commentators are Pat Buchanan and Joe Scarborogh)

zachman

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 10:13:06 PM »

Fox has the most coverage per non-politics show so they get my vote, although they are too slanted.

I watch the most CNN. 3:30-5:00, Inside Politics and Crossfire both are awesome shows. I now watch MSNBC for election night coverage, because of their commentators.

C-SPAN lets you go in-depth.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 10:30:36 PM »

Put C-SPAN on this one, C.D.
MarkDel

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 10:40:27 PM »

California Dreamer,

You are aware, of course, that Chris Matthews was a speechwriter for Jimmy Carter, and that he was an aide to Democratic Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill? He also said emphatically in an interview on Hardball, where he and his wife took turns as the guests, that he was supporting Howard Dean, and that his son was even part of the Dean campaign?
California Dreamer

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 10:44:11 PM »

I know he worked for carter years ago...but he voted for Bush and is very hard on Kerry, and his panel is somewhat right leaning. My point is that it is good coverage and isnt liberal left elitists.

i didnt include CSPAN cause i just wanted to cover the major commercial cable news, CSPAN has good coverage but not a lot of analysis.
MarkDel

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 10:58:02 PM »

California Dreamer,

Yeah, he is pretty hard on Kerry. But don't you realize it's because he views Kerry as not far enough left??? The reason he voted for Bush is because Matthews HATES the Clintons and he viewed Al Gore as the successor to the Clinton legacy.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 11:03:23 PM »

No way, man.  It's FOX.  Hands down.  FNC.  Fair and Balanced.  If I don't see it on Fox, I don't believe it.

And I hope that comment about MSNBC being biased on the Left is a joke.  It must be, right?  Or am I warped?
MarkDel

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 11:07:17 PM »

Angus,

Yeah, I voted for Fox as well, but quite frankly, the MSNBC coverage is also very, very good. I don't find them to be biased in favor of either candidate. CNN, of course, is a different story...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 11:10:36 PM »

Okay, I definitely voted for Fox.  But don't tell me they don't do the mix of editorial and news.  Seriously, I love watching fox, but one of the main reasons is entertainment value.  I really like having the editorial and news mixed all in together.  Yes, MSNBC is objective.  CNN, well, it is the most respected US news network in the world.  That fact alone speaks volumes.  (you may make of that what you will.)
MarkDel

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 11:16:17 PM »

Angus,

I agree. CNN is popular in other parts of the world for the obvious reason that they paint the least favorable picture of the US among the major cable news networks.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 11:18:48 PM »

Well the primary season is pretty much over...so who has had the best election coverage (both on election nights and everyday political coverage)

In my opinion they all have good points.
Fox has the best graphics
CNN has the best exit poll analysis
MSNBC has the best commentators analysis

overall I think MSNBC is best (before anyone says they are biased to the left, Chris Mattthews their political anchor voted for Bush and their two primary commentators are Pat Buchanan and Joe Scarborogh)

I acctually don't think of MSNBC being to the left.  I think that they are fairly centris in their stands, but they also are n't very appealing as a news organization.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 11:18:53 PM »

I'll stipulate, your honor.   In fact, that was exactly my point.
MarkDel

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 11:20:31 PM »

Angus,

I know...I just wanted to state it clearly for those not on the same frequency.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 12:21:33 AM »

California Dreamer,

You are aware, of course, that Chris Matthews was a speechwriter for Jimmy Carter, and that he was an aide to Democratic Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill? He also said emphatically in an interview on Hardball, where he and his wife took turns as the guests, that he was supporting Howard Dean, and that his son was even part of the Dean campaign?

I must admit, though, I love Chris Matthews.  Just today I saw him take apart some Florida congressman working for the Kerry campaign.  "What exactly is John Kerry's position on the war?" Matthews asked the guy.  I just love him.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 12:28:57 AM »

Yeah, Matthews rocks.  He was just on.  Talking to his buddy Pat Buchanan.  Weird, like being married to the mob.  They're all in cahootz.  Matthews was definitely gwb-friendly, chatting up all the early secretaries a few years ago, but turned somewhat sour during the early buildup for Operation Iraqi Freedom.  I don't blame him.  That was strongarm, but who knows?  Maybe a hundred years from now...  But today we're stuck.  Off-topic, though.  The best election coverage from among those choices listed depends on what you like.  If I'm really stoned I like listening to Bill Schneider and Jeff Greenfield, no doubt.  Most of the time I like a subdued judgemental Brit Hume scoffing at the silliness of the Democrats.  But for in-your-face style hassle of noteworthies, Chris Matthews is giving Fox a run for their money.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2004, 08:13:08 AM »

CNN
elcorazon

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2004, 09:55:26 AM »

California Dreamer,

He also said he voted for Bush in 2000.
NHPolitico

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2004, 03:12:27 PM »

MSNBC.
zachman

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2004, 07:05:25 PM »

MSNBC has a few problems. Their commercial breaks are all the time, and that is their major problem. Second, they do too much celebrity news.
MarkDel

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2004, 07:47:17 PM »

El Corazon,

In your haste to take a shot at me, you must have failed to read my post commenting on Matthews voting for Bush in 2000.

California Dreamer,

Yeah, he is pretty hard on Kerry. But don't you realize it's because he views Kerry as not far enough left??? The reason he voted for Bush is because Matthews HATES the Clintons and he viewed Al Gore as the successor to the Clinton legacy.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2004, 11:40:47 PM »

for objectivity?  just asking.  
Demrepdan

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2004, 02:39:36 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2004, 02:40:11 AM by Demrepdan »

MSNBC......gotta love Chris Matthews......and his Decision 2004 coverage....
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies