Jeb Bush returning to the limelight
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:49:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Jeb Bush returning to the limelight
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jeb Bush returning to the limelight  (Read 2702 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »

link:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/1454784.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Maybe he just really doesn't like Crist, and wants to sway the outcome of the Senate primary towards Rubio.  I don't know.  Anyway, I just figured I'd mention it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »

I wouldn't mind Jeb in 2012, although anybody in that generation of Bush's are doomed because of Dubya.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:22:52 PM »

I wouldn't mind Jeb in 2012, although anybody in that generation of Bush's are doomed because of Dubya.

What makes you think Jeb would be better than Dubya?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »

Everything.  He was a competent Governor for 8 years, and has always appeared more intelligent.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 09:45:32 PM »

Everything.  He was a competent Governor for 8 years, and has always appeared more intelligent.

He also is really good with hispanics... and Florida loves him(that's a definite plus).
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:55:46 PM »

Poor Jeb, W. really screwed up his political future.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »

He also is really good with hispanics... and Florida loves him(that's a definite plus).

Being smarter does not make you a better President. Carter was smarter than Ford, but Ford was by far a better President. BTW, I read that Jeb favored big business and the rich while he was Governor. Also, Dick Cheney was very smart and was a competent Sec of Def for Bush Sr., but he turned out to be a horrible VP.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:49:27 AM »

I like Jeb, and I also like his father. His brother and mom are pieces of work though. He's intelligent, articulate, has a Hispanic wife and is good with that community in general, and isn't a Bible thumper. He's also Catholic which could help with that demographic. If his brother hadn't been president I honestly think he'd be sitting in the oval office right now, which is a shame because the country would have been far better off in his hands than in Dubyas. I don't really think the Republicans could find a better candidate than Jeb, but he'd lose.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 02:05:17 AM »

It's Jeb's fault for stealing Florida for his brother. In fact, Florida was the only state that Gore outspent Bush in. Bush was counting on his brother to steal it.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 03:52:26 AM »

Dubya was also very strong with Hispanics, if not stronger than even Jeb.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 04:03:14 AM »

Dubya was also very strong with Hispanics, if not stronger than even Jeb.

W was strong with Hispanics in Texas and Cubans, not really elsewhere. Jeb's wife is FROM MEXICO, the guy speaks fluent Spanish as opposed to just some conversational stuff like W, and he's Catholic. Let's take just Florida into account to compare the two: In 2000 Bush won the Cuban vote overwhelmingly, but lost the non-Cuban Hispanic vote, with Gore taking 60% of it. Jeb, in his re-election campaign, won almost 60% of the non-Cuban Hispanic vote, a total flip.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:31 PM »

It's Jeb's fault for stealing Florida for his brother. In fact, Florida was the only state that Gore outspent Bush in. Bush was counting on his brother to steal it.

LOL. This lie, again?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »

But Ben, W was a wildly popular Governor.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 01:11:39 PM »

lol
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »

It's quite the leap to suggest that just because Jeb is making a few more appearances, he'll be a candidate in 2012. I have to think he understands political reality, and that reality makes a Presidential run from him completely untenable. One can be politically active without running for President, and that appears to be what he's after.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »

Did Jeb support Florida's "shoot on sight" law?  Or did he just sign it knowing the legislature would override him?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 07:30:46 PM »

No more Bushes!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »

But Ben, W was a wildly popular Governor.

But he wasn't necessarily competent, and didn't serve 8 years.  From 1999-2007, Florida was very well run by Jeb.
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »

I don't think Bush will run in 2012, though I wouldn't say it's impossible. 2016 or 2020, though? Wouldn't be surprised.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 04:33:53 PM »

Jeb would be great, but he has no shot.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »

Even though he could be a half-good president, it's just too soon for another Bush.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 12:46:39 AM »

Being smarter does not make you a better President. Carter was smarter than Ford, but Ford was by far a better President. BTW, I read that Jeb favored big business and the rich while he was Governor. Also, Dick Cheney was very smart and was a competent Sec of Def for Bush Sr., but he turned out to be a horrible VP.

How did you come to that assessment?

Cheney was obviously very effective as VP.

milhouse24
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 12:46:43 AM »

If the Dems lose big in 2010, Jeb will definitely throw his hat in for the 2012 nomination.  He'll be too old in 2016.  I think chances of him are better than 50% that he will enter the primaries.  He is doing nothing right now, and he would be able to bring intelligent debates into the primaries, even if he loses the primaries (doubtful) he would set himself up perfectly for 2016. 
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 04:51:12 AM »

Being effective isn't a good thing in and of itself, if the goals are ignoble. Cheney was a horrible VP in the sense that he didn't resign himself to the designated role of Vice President.
Anthony
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 06:15:59 PM »

If the Dems lose big in 2010, Jeb will definitely throw his hat in for the 2012 nomination.  He'll be too old in 2016.  I think chances of him are better than 50% that he will enter the primaries.  He is doing nothing right now, and he would be able to bring intelligent debates into the primaries, even if he loses the primaries (doubtful) he would set himself up perfectly for 2016.  

Not necessarily. In 2016, he'll only be 63. And as far as 2012 goes, the polls seem to indicate that even most Republicans don't wan't another Bush, even though it seems like you do, judging by what you've been posting on this board.

Everything.  He was a competent Governor for 8 years, and has always appeared more intelligent.

Being effective isn't a good thing in and of itself, if the goals are ignoble. Cheney was a horrible VP in the sense that he didn't resign himself to the designated role of Vice President.

Agreed. And the fact that he tortured people, some of whom weren't really even terrorists, should be taken into consideration.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies