Are you in favor of birth control and contraception?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:11:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are you in favor of birth control and contraception?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Go.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Are you in favor of birth control and contraception?  (Read 12454 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
« edited: January 29, 2010, 09:37:32 PM by Рошамбо »

I wanted to ask this question since many Republicans and conservatives are against abortion, yet also against birth control and contraception, which prevents abortion. This is a position I have never quite understood. I was just wondering what people's attitudes on birth control and contraception are on this Forum.

As for my views, Yes, I support contraception and birth control.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:30:25 PM »

Of course. Those against both birth control and abortion seem to be in denial of the reality that leads to.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:44:40 PM »

Of course. Who knew?  Tongue
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »

Personally yes for now, but in the long-term, no. Birthrates have fallen dramatically in every Western nation. People in Western nations need to breed more, not less.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »

Personally yes for now, but in the long-term, no. Birthrates have fallen dramatically in every Western nation. People in Western nations need to breed more, not less.

By long term, do you mean after 2050, when much more countries worldwide become developed and have even lower birthrates?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:57:05 PM »

By long term, do you mean after 2050, when much more countries worldwide become developed and have even lower birthrates?

No, I mean ASAP, when looking at the bigger picture.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:58:09 PM »

Fertility rates worldwide are still above replacement level (about 2.1 children per family).
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 09:59:39 PM »

Fertility rates worldwide are still above replacement level (about 2.1 children per family).

In Third World nations, you mean. That's not a good thing. They could use more birth control and contraception.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »

Yes. People will have sex anyway, so using birth control is a very good thing to do.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »

In Third World nations, you mean. That's not a good thing. They could use more birth control and contraception.

I mean on average worldwide. In third world nations, the fertility rate is higher than the world average, but both fertility rates are above replacement.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 10:01:47 PM »

I mean on average worldwide. In third world nations, the fertility rate is higher than the world average, but both fertility rates are above replacement.

Not in the U.S. or Europe or Japan....
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 10:02:37 PM »

Not in the U.S. or Europe or Japan....

I know that. I was talking about the whole world at large.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:09:24 PM »

Yes.  The more men and women are able to prevent STD transmission and unwanted pregnancies, the better.

This is why, as a male, I support Planned Parenthood.  They provide advice and contraceptives to women so that those women can make their own decisions about sex and having children.

If we can prevent an abortion before the choice is ever forced, I call that a victory.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 11:58:29 PM »

That seems to conflict with your libertarian views.  That sounds a bit collectivist.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 11:59:27 PM »

That seems to conflict with your libertarian views.  That sounds a bit collectivist.

How so? I don't want our countries to die out.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 12:02:31 AM »

Well at least you've finally given up on your "anarchism".
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 12:47:52 AM »

Countries won't 'die out'. People will have sex without protection. But if you are young and gonna have sex or you dont want to have a kid then protection is good. the dieing out is just bull.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 01:05:17 AM »

Countries won't 'die out'. People will have sex without protection. But if you are young and gonna have sex or you dont want to have a kid then protection is good. the dieing out is just bull.

Um, if we don't have enough children to replace the workforce, support the retirees, and keep the economy running, this country will be in for a world of hurt.

Red China will colonize North America atop our ruins.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 01:09:09 AM »

Um, if we don't have enough children to replace the workforce, support the retirees, and keep the economy running, this country will be in for a world of hurt.

China's population is currently rapidly aging and is projected to begin declining in the 2030s.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 01:09:57 AM »

China's population is currently rapidly aging and is projected to begin declining in the 2030s.

Um, China's population is already bursting at the seams.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »

Then why did you say China will colonize us if we promote contraception and birth control?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 01:12:01 AM »

Then why did you say China will colonize us if we promote contraception and birth control?

China will need somewhere for all of its people to go, while the U.S. population will have been in decline.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 01:13:33 AM »

oh please. You ever heard of orphans? There is reason reason as to why. and boy you look at this so oddly. The human race will not die buddy. trust me.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 01:14:07 AM »

China will need somewhere for all of its people to go, while the U.S. population will have been in decline.

Even if more people use birth control, I doubt it will have much of an impact on American birthrates as people who don't want their babies after they get preganant just get an abortion, so the babies wouldn't exist either way. Besides, immigration is currently a very large factor in fueling U.S. population growth.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 02:17:31 AM »

I was thinking about this the other day and there are two different but related issues.

Liberals are looking at just teen birth rates as a problem. Conservatives are looking at sexually active teens as a the first problem and that leads to teens having children which is the second problem. Do those on the left look at sexually active teens being a problem, or is it only a problem if it leads to pregnancy?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies