'New Study Finds That Hard Work Pays Off'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:53:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  'New Study Finds That Hard Work Pays Off'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 'New Study Finds That Hard Work Pays Off'  (Read 2651 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:09:54 PM »

By JOEY SUMMERSKILL, Associated Press Writer William Miller, Associated Press Writer
1 hr 45 mins ago

A team of scientists at in the Evolutionary Social Psychology Science Department at the University of Mercia announced on Friday the discovery of a linkage between work and reward. Apparently, the greater effort one puts into things, the more likely something... anything... is to come of it.

The study of 30 randomly selected hoboes and 30 investment bankers found that the harder someone works, the more money they make. Scientists said they subjected the findings to a battery of every possible test, even those that weren't applicable including the chi-square, Pearson's, multivariate linear regression, logistical regression, t test, f test, and more complicated simulations. They further found that the relationship is subject to the following mathematical equation:

e + e(t)/t + alpha = f(w)*t + w^100,000

Where e is earnings_initial, e(t) is the function of earnings over time, alpha is the unknown factor representing luck, f(w) is productivity as a function of work, t is time, and w is wealth_and_social_connections_initial.

Suggestions that maybe the hoboes didn't work as hard because they had less work to do were brushed off. "We were able to estimate the parameter with a 99% confidence interval," said Professor Josef Rotwang, Head of the Department.

He said he got the idea after after kicking some empty soda bottles into a sewer drainage. "I found that the more things I kicked down into there, the cleaner the street became. I was working really hard, and I was really making the whole place look better," he said.

Heartland Senator Paul Hardass reacted strongly to the findings. "This is more evidence that the country is falling behind due to laziness," he said. "I am calling a Congressional commission to see how much this is costing taxpayers."

Disneyworld spokeswoman Karen Denne urged people not to overreact to the findings. "You can still be really successful while just having a good time," she said in a statement issued by the company.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9689274
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 12:06:21 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2010, 12:08:20 AM by Torie »

Well I bill by the hour, so the mathematics for me is pretty straight forward. All you need to understand is the principle of multiplication.   And the principle of not working for deadbeat clients. I am proud to say I have not had a "bad" receivable for about 15 years now. Not one.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 02:07:10 PM »

Onion?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »

No wonder the U.S.S.R. collapsed. There was no incentive for people to work hard, and thus the country failed to experience economic success.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:24:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Stopped reading right there.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 05:31:40 PM »

From Jay Leno's Headlines:

"Study Concludes That Men and Women are Different"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »

No wonder the U.S.S.R. collapsed. There was no incentive for people to work hard, and thus the country failed to experience economic success.

You figured that out all by yourself.  Tongue

Seriously, there was an old Soviet saying:

"We pretend to work.  They pretend to pay us."
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »

Are you being sarcastic?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 12:53:31 PM »

Are you being sarcastic?

No.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies