Illinois Primary Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 09:14:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois Primary Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18
Author Topic: Illinois Primary Thread  (Read 32529 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 05, 2010, 10:05:48 PM »

Oh, I'm prefectly aware of that. Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #376 on: February 05, 2010, 11:06:52 PM »

The pressure to force Cohen off the ballot as LG seems to be at a fever pitch. Sen. Durbin's quote sums up what all the top Dems are saying now “He really should spare himself, and his friends and family what he’s about to go through.”

Is Cohen purchasable? I mean, if he is, the longer he waits up to a point, the higher the price no?

Some sources are saying that he'd like some compensation for the $2M+ he pumped in the race. Other sources are saying that money won't be involved.

The irony is that the IL Constitution gives the legislature the power to pass a law that would have tickets run in the primary as well as the general. Even after the 1986 debacle, they did not invoke that provision to change the law. Yet, here we are again.

Couldn't you guys just shove that through in the next month or so?

Too late. The primary has already passed.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #377 on: February 05, 2010, 11:17:59 PM »

The pressure to force Cohen off the ballot as LG seems to be at a fever pitch. Sen. Durbin's quote sums up what all the top Dems are saying now “He really should spare himself, and his friends and family what he’s about to go through.”

Is Cohen purchasable? I mean, if he is, the longer he waits up to a point, the higher the price no?

Some sources are saying that he'd like some compensation for the $2M+ he pumped in the race. Other sources are saying that money won't be involved.

The irony is that the IL Constitution gives the legislature the power to pass a law that would have tickets run in the primary as well as the general. Even after the 1986 debacle, they did not invoke that provision to change the law. Yet, here we are again.

But couldn't you just change the law to say that the Governor and Lt. Governor primary winners run separately in the general? There'd be no need to nullify the primary.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #378 on: February 06, 2010, 12:20:53 AM »

But couldn't you just change the law to say that the Governor and Lt. Governor primary winners run separately in the general? There'd be no need to nullify the primary.

No luck there. The IL Const. Art V sect 4, clearly states that one vote is cast jointly for the nominees.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #379 on: February 06, 2010, 01:08:44 AM »

"He should spare himself what we are about to do to him."

Do you not see the problem with nullifying an election like that?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #380 on: February 06, 2010, 01:28:17 AM »

"He should spare himself what we are about to do to him."

Do you not see the problem with nullifying an election like that?

I don't want to nullify any election. I just didn't get why they couldn't change the law from "will run together" to "will run separately" and still use the same primary results.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #381 on: February 06, 2010, 07:37:48 AM »

Dillard isn't conceding the Republican nomination yet, saying we need to wait for provisionals and late arriving absentees.

He hasn't mentioned the "r-word" yet, however.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #382 on: February 06, 2010, 10:41:53 AM »

Dillard isn't conceding the Republican nomination yet, saying we need to wait for provisionals and late arriving absentees.

He probably shouldn't be calling his opponent a retard yet, good strategy
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #383 on: February 06, 2010, 11:12:23 AM »

So when would a good opportunity arise?

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #384 on: February 07, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »

So when would a good opportunity arise?

After he conceeds and someone asks him about his defeat and the GOP primary voters he can say "Those F**King retards".
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #385 on: February 07, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »

Cohen drops out:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/politics/cohen-steps-down-83685472.html
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #386 on: February 07, 2010, 09:18:44 PM »

Horse head found in his bed?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #387 on: February 07, 2010, 10:27:46 PM »

thank God

wtf was he thinking running in the first place? 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #388 on: February 07, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »

I could see one running for city council or a state senate seat and not having one's past catch up to you, but Lt. Governor of one of the biggest states in the country?  I understand being ambitious, but, first of all, if you have a record like that, you have a certain ceiling for the highest office you can achieve.  Secondly if you want to reach said ceiling, you can't go straight from business (without paying child support) to high political office, you need to establish a political record to prove that's all behind you.

I really cannot understand what's going on here, and it really doesn't make me have much faith in the Democrats to be able to do well statewide in 2010.  Obama will need to figure out who he is fundamentally and what he wants to do if he wants his old Senate seat to remain Democrat.

Does anyone know why all this information suddenly showed up AFTER the election?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #389 on: February 07, 2010, 11:37:38 PM »

I could see one running for city council or a state senate seat and not having one's past catch up to you, but Lt. Governor of one of the biggest states in the country?  I understand being ambitious, but, first of all, if you have a record like that, you have a certain ceiling for the highest office you can achieve.  Secondly if you want to reach said ceiling, you can't go straight from business (without paying child support) to high political office, you need to establish a political record to prove that's all behind you.

I really cannot understand what's going on here, and it really doesn't make me have much faith in the Democrats to be able to do well statewide in 2010.  Obama will need to figure out who he is fundamentally and what he wants to do if he wants his old Senate seat to remain Democrat.

Does anyone know why all this information suddenly showed up AFTER the election?

No one gave him much chance with 4 legislators in the race. What little came out was passed over by media sources. The senate and gov races were so much bigger that it drew the attention of the media, money, and voters from the lt gov.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #390 on: February 08, 2010, 08:02:03 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol wtf
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #391 on: February 08, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »

Quinn needs every vote he could get and he certainly didn't need Scott Cohen to be a drag on the ticket.  Now, we have to deal with an arbitors ruling from the party to get a Lt. Gov.  I sincerely hope that they pick from the people that was running, because they got the vote of the people, if they don't it will still hurt them.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #392 on: February 08, 2010, 10:03:57 AM »

Quinn/Hoffman!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2010, 11:35:08 AM »

Quinn needs every vote he could get and he certainly didn't need Scott Cohen to be a drag on the ticket.  Now, we have to deal with an arbitors ruling from the party to get a Lt. Gov.  I sincerely hope that they pick from the people that was running, because they got the vote of the people, if they don't it will still hurt them.

Let's just take the 2nd place candidate.....Turner. I voted for him too Wink

At any rate....good decision. I'm glad the election won't be decided by this kind of crap now.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »

Quinn-Hynes?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #395 on: February 08, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »

I would totally support that ticket. Wouldn't that set Hynes up for a gubernatorial bid in 2014?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #396 on: February 08, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »

Quinn/Obama!
The US Presidency is such a lame square uncool post.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #397 on: February 08, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »

Seems obvious.

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #398 on: February 08, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/2035800,cohen-quinn-hynes-lt-gov-020810.article

Hynes doesn't want it and part of his campaign platform was abolishing the office. Methinks they'll go with the State Representative that got second in the primary.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #399 on: February 08, 2010, 03:09:20 PM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/2035800,cohen-quinn-hynes-lt-gov-020810.article

Hynes doesn't want it and part of his campaign platform was abolishing the office. Methinks they'll go with the State Representative that got second in the primary.

The state party chair supported Turner, but there are some downsides. Turner would make it an all-Chicago slate for statewide offices. This was a theme for the GOP, and Hynes beat Quinn downstate. Many Dems would like to see a downstater to be more competitive there and help downballot races.

The other downside is legislative. The Dem state chair is also the Speaker of the House. Rep Turner is a longtime rival of Sen Hendon on the west side of Chicago. Putting Turner in could crate strain between the House and Senate that may not be desired this year.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies