Who is more sexist, Arlen Specter or Scott Brown?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:31:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Who is more sexist, Arlen Specter or Scott Brown?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Hmmm...
Arlen Specter saying in the middle of a heated discussion where he kept being interrupted, "I'll treat you like a lady, and you act like one."

Scott Brown smiling at a rape joke from a supporter to, "Shove a curling up [Martha Coakley's] butt", other supporters cheering the notion of Coakley being raped, and having "I'm not voting for that broad" as a popular refrai

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Who is more sexist, Arlen Specter or Scott Brown?  (Read 4462 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:43:29 PM »
« edited: January 22, 2010, 07:48:38 PM by Beet »

Discuss.

Oh, and if those of you who voted could please post your reasons. I voted #2 because while #1 is mildly condescending, #2 is a lot more intentional, a lot more vicious, it is the threat of physical violence, it didn't happen in the middle of a heated debate, and it represents an underlying pattern. Brown's assertion that he didn't hear it is belied by video that shows him reacting.

And I'm not even considering Brown's strange comment about his daughter that even Glenn Beck didn't like.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:47:12 PM »

Bump... 6 votes and only 1 reply?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:49:55 PM »

The second, of course. But Republicans would never dare to criticize Saint Brown.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »

The second, of course. But Republicans would never dare to criticize Saint Brown.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 10:53:07 PM »

Uh, neither is.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:30:15 PM »

Brown says he didn't hear the comment, so Specter gets my vote.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 02:39:25 PM »

Specter, because you can tell the miserable old b**tard really meant what he said. He's the 'Democratic' version of Bunning.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »

They're both insufferable.
Gren
Spain

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.43

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2010, 05:03:14 PM by Gren »

I voted for Specter, not because his comment was sexist, but because asking Bachmann to act like a lady is rather useless and stupid. It's just asking for the impossible.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »

How is the Brown one sexist? If his opponent was a male nobody would have said it was sexist. Besides, he claims he didn't hear it anyway.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »

Specter is a sexist pig.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 05:32:48 PM »

Specter
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »

Ha! Isn't that the truth?! He'll be out in one term and then the Republicans can go back to their pathetic scare tactics of trashing and labeling of liberals as having "Massachusetts values."

But I think Scott Brown's rape joke is more sexist and just downright inexcusable. Someone said on here that if the candidate was male, the comment wouldn't have been made. I disagree. What if his candidate was an openly gay man? It was and is sexist and wrong for anyone, a candidate or private citizen, to even make fun of rape. I know Republicans don't care about rape victims seeing as how the rank-and-file GOP voted against the amendment in the Senate health care bill that would ban private insurance companies from denying coverage to women who had been raped.

You know Fox News would call for a liberal's head if he (or she) made a comment such as, "We need to have a moose ram its antlers into Sarah Palin's ass."
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 09:22:01 PM »

Option 2. How is Specter being sexist by telling Bachmann to act like a lady?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »

How is Specter being sexist by telling Bachmann to act like a lady?

How should 'ladies' act, exactly?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 11:09:23 PM »

Ha! Isn't that the truth?! He'll be out in one term and then the Republicans can go back to their pathetic scare tactics of trashing and labeling of liberals as having "Massachusetts values."

But I think Scott Brown's rape joke is more sexist and just downright inexcusable. Someone said on here that if the candidate was male, the comment wouldn't have been made. I disagree. What if his candidate was an openly gay man? It was and is sexist and wrong for anyone, a candidate or private citizen, to even make fun of rape. I know Republicans don't care about rape victims seeing as how the rank-and-file GOP voted against the amendment in the Senate health care bill that would ban private insurance companies from denying coverage to women who had been raped.

You know Fox News would call for a liberal's head if he (or she) made a comment such as, "We need to have a moose ram its antlers into Sarah Palin's ass."

He claims he didn't hear it, and besides, it's not like it's any worse than comparing Bush or Obama to Hitler.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »

Polite and dignified. Not like some biaitches.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »

Polite and dignified. Not like some biaitches.

Then I'm not surprised you don't see the sexism of his comments if you, as a man, believe that 'ladies' should be "polite and dignified" at all times.  Show those rabble-rousers their place!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 11:48:02 PM »

Brown says he didn't hear the comment, so Specter gets my vote.

Of course he didn't hear it.  Even Jon freakin' Stewart ripped into the Olbermann brigade on this one.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »

I voted for the one who actually said the thing in question, rather than something said by a supporter.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »

Discuss.

Oh, and if those of you who voted could please post your reasons. I voted #2 because while #1 is mildly condescending, #2 is a lot more intentional, a lot more vicious, it is the threat of physical violence, it didn't happen in the middle of a heated debate, and it represents an underlying pattern. Brown's assertion that he didn't hear it is belied by video that shows him reacting.

And I'm not even considering Brown's strange comment about his daughter that even Glenn Beck didn't like.

Specter.  All this brown bashing is hilarious.  How much more enraged and jealous could the far left on this forum get?  Answer: the worst from them hasn't even started.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 10:57:53 PM »

What? A lady is a polite and dignified woman, just as a gentleman is a polite and dignified man.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 12:41:50 AM »

Discuss.

Specter.  All this brown bashing is hilarious.  How much more enraged and jealous could the far left on this forum get?  Answer: the worst from them hasn't even started.

^^^^^

Immature bitching like Brown-bashing is exactly why I left the Democratic party. It's hard to believe I ever agreed with them.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 02:49:48 PM »

Discuss.

That's great. Your response is not to respond to the actual events but just to label one characterization "Brown bashing." I suppose all criticism of Obama should just be labeled "Obama bashing" and ignored then.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

We would be less biased in this situation if you hadn't posted a poll biased in 'liberal'(I say that because Specter will never be a Democrat in my book) favor. You cannot honestly look at the wording you used and tell me that it doesn't attempt to make Specter out to be completely innocent, yet at the same time demonize Brown. Even if the circumstance allowed us to label Brown's actions as inexcusable - which it doesn't, might I add, given the liberal bias - Specter's comment is just as wrong and regressive, because we pretty much know exactly how he meant it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies