Romney Veep
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:14:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney Veep
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Romney Veep  (Read 6198 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:39:31 AM »

Ok, so we already had a topic, but I didn't want a poll to be included. On the forefront, to me it appears that he would need to pick someone who appeals to the evangelicals, but is presentable and likable to the public. But, he also would need to win independent voters, so he may need to pick someone who acts like a maverick and problem solver.

What do you all think?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:40:32 AM »

Senator Rand Paul
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:10:03 AM »

Off topic: 'True Strength For America's Future' has to be the most generic, meaningless slogan ever.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 01:12:54 AM »

Anyway, the first thing to pop into my head was Pawlenty, given how he appeals to 'moderate' Republicans and evangelicals. But he lacks name recognition and charisma so probably not. The Republicans are seriously lacking in terms of candidates in general.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:13:11 AM »

Off topic: 'True Strength For America's Future' has to be the most generic, meaningless slogan ever.

Over Yes We Can, Let's Make America Great Again, and the like?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:15:47 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2010, 01:18:37 AM by TOSOS™ »

Those have clear meanings and are easily remembered. 'Yes We Can' communicates a feeling of being able to accomplish anything and optimism. 'Let's Make America Great Again' or 'Morning In America' are self-explanatory. Hell even 'I Like Ike' has some value in a commercial jingle type way. 'True Strength For America's Future' is borderline incoherent and forgettable, at best it implies the other candidates are weak people and only if you sit and think for a moment.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:26:36 AM »

Those have clear meanings and are easily remembered. 'Yes We Can' communicates a feeling of being able to accomplish anything and optimism. 'Let's Make America Great Again' or 'Morning In America' are self-explanatory. Hell even 'I Like Ike' has some value in a commercial jingle type way. 'True Strength For America's Future' is borderline incoherent and forgettable, at best it implies the other candidates are weak people and only if you sit and think for a moment.

Yeah, you are right. Hopefully they will choose a better slogan next time.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 01:28:33 AM »

Ah good, you can admit that. It's nice seeing someone with a little objectivity left on this site about their candidate. Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »

Some likely short listers include:

John Thune
Rob Portman (if he wins that race in Ohio)
John Kasich (if he wins that race in Ohio)

Yeah, I'm thinking the GOP's VP pool is going to be fairly shallow in 2012.  Though if they do well in 2010, they might have some good people ready for 2016 or 2020.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 01:32:13 AM »

Thune would help with the evangelicals but not much else.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 01:34:38 AM »

Thune is terrible. I don't know why so many Republicans think he is some kind of savior.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 01:35:30 AM »

I don't know about Thune. He appears to know his stuff, but I'm not sure if he can appeal to anyone outside the base. I wonder.

(Plus, I don't think they'd look good running together)
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 01:37:00 AM »

I don't know about Thune. He appears to know his stuff, but I'm not sure if he can appeal to anyone outside the base. I wonder.

What about my suggestion of Rand Paul? He's "maverick" who could win over independent voters, like you said.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 01:37:17 AM »

Thune is a porker who voted for the bail outs and similar nonsense, that and he has a reputation as not too bright. I don't see him playing well either in the current climate.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »

What about my suggestion of Rand Paul? He's "maverick" who could win over independent voters, like you said.

Maybe, but I don't know if the base would like him all that much. I'd like him as a future candidate for President, though.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 01:46:51 AM »

Maybe, but I don't know if the base would like him all that much. I'd like him as a future candidate for President, though.

Well the conservative base in a state like Kentucky seems to be warming to him. They are the ones propelling him to victory over the establishment candidate.

I hate Obama, but I wouldn't even consider voting for Romney unless he had a solid running mate like Rand Paul or Peter Schiff.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 01:48:40 AM »

Well the conservative base in a state like Kentucky seems to be warming to him. They are the ones propelling him to victory over the establishment candidate.

I hate Obama, but I wouldn't even consider voting for Romney unless he had a solid running mate like Rand Paul or Peter Schiff.

I think we can ditch talk of Peter Schiff, though.

What are the polls in Kentucky showing for Rand Paul?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 01:49:58 AM »

I have a gut feeling you'll be laughing about having said that a few years down the line...
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 01:52:11 AM »

I have a gut feeling you'll be laughing about having said that a few years down the line...

Haha, maybe... But I think Blumethal is a shoo-in. But I could be wrong... look what happened to Coakley.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 01:53:31 AM »

What are the polls in Kentucky showing for Rand Paul?

Last I heard, Paul led Grayson in the GOP primary, and led both potential challengers in the general election.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 01:54:23 AM »

Oh I don't think he'll get the nomination in CT, I just think given his money and growing reputation he could be a serious contender 4-6 years from now. Think Ross Perot in early/mid '92. Also some polls have Paul leading Grayson by as much as 44% to 25% now, granted that's with about 32% undecided.
evan bayh
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 05:38:03 AM »

first choice,i think,sen.thune...second:gov.tim pawlenty
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 07:03:08 AM »

Some likely short listers include:

John Thune
Rob Portman (if he wins that race in Ohio)
John Kasich (if he wins that race in Ohio)

Yeah, I'm thinking the GOP's VP pool is going to be fairly shallow in 2012.  Though if they do well in 2010, they might have some good people ready for 2016 or 2020.

As very often, you're right (or at least, I agree with you):

A "new" face: Thune (with a "plus": good for the right of the GOP) or Paul Ryan or any star rising in Nov 2010.

Or someone from a strategic state: Ohio, of course, will be the most important one (Florida is still there, but you can't be sure to influence every part of Florida with only one name... !). Kasich more than Portman, because of the past and because of the way you look on TV.

I'd add Pawlenty, because he isa pretty "new" face for many voters, he's good for arch-conservatives and he can avoid criticisms on the rich and posh and golden Mitt...
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »

What about Gov. Tom Corbett? He's leading his likely opponent, Dan Onorato, by double-digits (and he's leading less likely options by more). He'll swing Pennsylvania, which has more EVs and is from Pennsylvania, a state Republicans may need some help winning.

There's also Toomey, but that's less-likely. Kasich is very good at running for Vice President...not Portman, it's too easy to connect him with the recession...Rubio? Brown? Pawlenty? Thune? McDonnell?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 04:44:51 PM »

SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!!!!!!!1
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies