Hillary's Upset: One of the Greatest?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:25:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Hillary's Upset: One of the Greatest?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary's Upset: One of the Greatest?  (Read 1145 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »

Ok, I'm sure all of you remember New Hampshire Primary Night, back in 2008. Remember how Obama was leading in all the polls? How he was going to ride this victory to the nomination? Remember when Clinton won? That seems like a huge upset, considering that most pollsters (At least that I recognize) saw Obama winning by a good margin. What do you all think? Was it a huge upset?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:53:20 PM »

Yes. It was the greatest upset in my memory. However, that doesn't mean much since I only started paying attention to politics back in 2004.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »

Yes, it was pretty shocking. Must polls had Obama riding the Iowa wave and he was up any where between 7-12%. I remember hearing reports that Hillary's campaign was in such bad shape they had to fly people in from New York to fill up the seats at her rallies in New Hampshire.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:05:54 PM »

Ok, I'm sure all of you remember New Hampshire Primary Night, back in 2008. Remember how Obama was leading in all the polls? How he was going to ride this victory to the nomination? Remember when Clinton won? That seems like a huge upset, considering that most pollsters (At least that I recognize) saw Obama winning by a good margin. What do you all think? Was it a huge upset?

NH is freaky to poll, especially in a primary.  If I had a dollar for every time I saw an upset in a NH primary, I'd order a pizza.  Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:47:58 AM »

2000 upset with McCain is more memorable for me
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 10:58:35 AM »

It would have been more memorable had she won the nomination. My most memorable upset in terms of elections would be Scott Brown, Bob Ehrlich, or Jim Webb winning. But in terms of polling flips hers is one of the biggest.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »

I don't think you can really grade upsets like that. It was certainly very important though - it was in New Hampshire that the voting patterns that dominated the pretty much all the rest of the primaries became clear. Some details had become apparent in Iowa, that Obama was indeed the candidate for choice for black voters (yes, that was in doubt for quite a while) being the main one, but a lot of the patterns of Iowa weren't reflected elsewhere - and that wasn't just because Iowa doesn't have a secret ballot.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »

If this result is considered an "upset" than a Coakley win in MA would've also had to have been considered to be one....both candidates had large leads in the polls at one time but then trailed consistently in all polls immediately prior to the election.

When one thinks of "upsets" in politics, I would think the former attribute would be as important as the latter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies