When Did the Democrats and Republicans Become the Parties We Know Today?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:00:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  When Did the Democrats and Republicans Become the Parties We Know Today?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When Did the Democrats and Republicans Become the Parties We Know Today?  (Read 1230 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:00:23 AM »

By that, I mean when did they adopt most elements of their current platform. I'd say 1920-1921 for the Republicans and 1932-1933 for the Democrats.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:51:24 AM »

The addition of a Civil Rights plank in the 1948 Democratic Platform was a huge change.

For Republicans, the Southern Strategy they developed from 1968 to present was a similar sea change. The GOP used to be a lot more progressive, they supported the Equal Rights Amendment as far back as the 1940's  Shocked
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:39:19 PM »

The addition of a Civil Rights plank in the 1948 Democratic Platform was a huge change.

For Republicans, the Southern Strategy they developed from 1968 to present was a similar sea change. The GOP used to be a lot more progressive, they supported the Equal Rights Amendment as far back as the 1940's  Shocked

I think that economically, Republicans adopted much of their current platform in 1920. Democrats adopted much of their current economic platform in 1932. I think that Democrats adopted their current social platform between 1948 and 1964, while I think Republicans adopted their current social platform between 1976 and 1980.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:38:35 AM »

This:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nwIdIUVFm4
Magic 8ball
lifekiwi
Rookie
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »

Democrats-1933
Republicans-1980
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 12:02:37 PM »

Republicans in 1980, of course. The true Republicans in the 1920s were nothing like the corporatist party of today.

Democrats...ummm, I suppose one could say 1933, but the New Deal era is long gone, and Bill Clinton's third way is basically what Democrats have maintained since the 1990s. They're certainly no longer the "working class" party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »

American parties change what they are all the time, so the question can't really be answered.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 05:12:13 PM »

Reagan recycled a lot of ideas from the 1920s Republican Presidents, so a better year for the origin of the modern Republican platform (at least on economics) would be 1920, rather than 1980.
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »

Republicans in 1980, of course. The true Republicans in the 1920s were nothing like the corporatist party of today.

Democrats...ummm, I suppose one could say 1933, but the New Deal era is long gone, and Bill Clinton's third way is basically what Democrats have maintained since the 1990s. They're certainly no longer the "working class" party.

I think Democrats have definitely moved away from kitchen table issues to stuff like health insurace, energy conservation and the environment in the past 10 years.  Still an economic interventionist agenda, but with a different list of priorities.

Not often mentioned is the switch between the parties on trade.  Democrats were open to free trade for decades whereas Republicans did not become decidedly lassiz-faire until the Reagan years.  Now, Democrats are more sympathetic to protectionism than any Republicans this side of Pat Buchanan.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 03:16:03 AM »

I think Democrats have definitely moved away from kitchen table issues to stuff like health insurace, energy conservation and the environment in the past 10 years.  Still an economic interventionist agenda, but with a different list of priorities.

Not often mentioned is the switch between the parties on trade.  Democrats were open to free trade for decades whereas Republicans did not become decidedly lassiz-faire until the Reagan years.  Now, Democrats are more sympathetic to protectionism than any Republicans this side of Pat Buchanan.

Reagan was not lassiez-faire. Neither were the Republican Presidents in the 1920s. Reagan was a big spender and all of those Presidents supported the Fed, which is against laissez-faire principles.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 03:48:29 AM »

Almost all happened in 1980. The Republicans became batsh**t crazy, and the Democrats became spineless.
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »

Reagan was not lassiez-faire. Neither were the Republican Presidents in the 1920s. Reagan was a big spender and all of those Presidents supported the Fed, which is against laissez-faire principles.

I was talking strictly regarding trade issues, where the Republicans were decidedly protectionists for decades.  Eisenhower and Nixon were free traders, but most of the party were still protectionists in those years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies