Who do you expect to be President on January 21st, 2013?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:30:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who do you expect to be President on January 21st, 2013?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Who do you expect to be President on January 21st, 2013?  (Read 11968 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »

Until the GOP no longer consists of people who believe that the Earth was created 6000 or so years ago and that humans have no connection to apes but are a special creation; that state-sponsored or politician-directed prayer belongs in public schools; that no human suffering is excessive so long as there is a profit to be gained from it; and that their hangnails hurt more than others' third-degree burns --

Barack Obama.   

Wonderful, but nobody will care about any of this when 2012 rolls around since there are more important issues at hand.

Ann Richards -- wasn't she a fine Governor!

(an aside -- I remember when George W. Bush mocked the pleas of some condemned inmate about to be executed, and after that, I could only think that someone so contemptuous of life should never be President of the United States. That's not to say that capital punishment in that case doesn't have reasoned defenses, such as that laws and court decisions must have some finality to prevent legal anarchy, but mockery of someone about to die shows a gaping hole in one's moral compass. Do you mock the drinking habits of people with cirrhosis or smoking habits of those dying of lung cancer? I don't). 

I regret to say that I was completely right, as Dubya had a huge gap in his moral compass -- one that would allow him to lie to get a war for his glorification or for the gain of war profiteers (whichever theory you hold). Such would allow thousands of deaths, not only of Americans. He showed another ethical gap when he promoted subprime lending as a means of getting people to buy into the illusion of prosperity (so long as they ignore the cost of the debt they might feel good), and another in his erratic behavior concerning the relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina. Assertions and displays of piety are not enough to negate personal evil; if anything they simply add hypocrisy.   

I actually look forward to Kay Bailey Hutchinson (even if she is a conservative Republican) defeating cranky Rick Perry so that there would be an open seat in the Senate.

Oh, do I miss Lloyd Bentsen in the Senate! Wouldn't it be great if Texas got a Senator like him again? Such a politician would certainly not be a Dubya-like or Perry-like Republican.

GLPman
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 03:52:16 PM »

Until the GOP no longer consists of people who believe that the Earth was created 6000 or so years ago and that humans have no connection to apes but are a special creation; that state-sponsored or politician-directed prayer belongs in public schools; that no human suffering is excessive so long as there is a profit to be gained from it; and that their hangnails hurt more than others' third-degree burns --

Barack Obama.   

Wonderful, but nobody will care about any of this when 2012 rolls around since there are more important issues at hand.

Ann Richards -- wasn't she a fine Governor!

(an aside -- I remember when George W. Bush mocked the pleas of some condemned inmate about to be executed, and after that, I could only think that someone so contemptuous of life should never be President of the United States. That's not to say that capital punishment in that case doesn't have reasoned defenses, such as that laws and court decisions must have some finality to prevent legal anarchy, but mockery of someone about to die shows a gaping hole in one's moral compass. Do you mock the drinking habits of people with cirrhosis or smoking habits of those dying of lung cancer? I don't). 

I regret to say that I was completely right, as Dubya had a huge gap in his moral compass -- one that would allow him to lie to get a war for his glorification or for the gain of war profiteers (whichever theory you hold). Such would allow thousands of deaths, not only of Americans. He showed another ethical gap when he promoted subprime lending as a means of getting people to buy into the illusion of prosperity (so long as they ignore the cost of the debt they might feel good), and another in his erratic behavior concerning the relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina. Assertions and displays of piety are not enough to negate personal evil; if anything they simply add hypocrisy.   

I actually look forward to Kay Bailey Hutchinson (even if she is a conservative Republican) defeating cranky Rick Perry so that there would be an open seat in the Senate.

Oh, do I miss Lloyd Bentsen in the Senate! Wouldn't it be great if Texas got a Senator like him again? Such a politician would certainly not be a Dubya-like or Perry-like Republican.

First off, my name refers to an Atlasia game I'm involved in. Second, while I do find your ramble about George W. Bush fascinating, you completely failed to acknowledge and respond to my point. This thread asks who will be President on January 21st, 2013 - not for your opinion of the 43rd President.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »

Mitt Romney
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 04:21:07 PM »

Mike Huckabee.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 04:51:58 PM »

Barack Obama. 

First off, my name refers to an Atlasia game I'm involved in. Second, while I do find your ramble about George W. Bush fascinating, you completely failed to acknowledge and respond to my point. This thread asks who will be President on January 21st, 2013 - not for your opinion of the 43rd President.

Answered in bold!

Does anyone expect the Republicans to change much in nine months? I don't!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2010, 07:18:16 PM »

I'm curious, what are your Congressional predictions this year, PBrower?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2010, 11:32:51 PM »

Until today I expected marginal change. Now that the Supreme Court has just ranted unlimited powers to corporations to buy political influence, I expect a huge Republican sweep.

We may now be doomed to a corporate state reminiscent of Mussolini's Italy in which corporations had formal power in the legislative process and democracy was gutted. If you thought that Dred Scott was bad -- that decision didn't take freedom away from the white majority which wasn't sharing power with non-whites, anyway.

This fascism will creep in on little alligator feet, and we won't know what is happening until too late. By 2012, paid-for corporate whores will have even the ability to get legislation that permits them to set up militias to do the dirty work. Alligators do not grow quickly, but they don't un-grow, and their appetites never shrink.

It's too bad that I didn't marry that Irish girl and move to Ireland when I had a chance.

Maybe I ought to take up cigarettes and whiskey so that cancer and cirrhosis can get me instead of some secret policeman or some private militia. Sure, I have MSNBC in the background. In four years it will be no different from FoX News, which will be even more blatant in its sycophancy to a right-wing government than it was when Dubya was President. 
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2010, 11:44:12 PM »

Until today I expected marginal change. Now that the Supreme Court has just ranted unlimited powers to corporations to buy political influence, I expect a huge Republican sweep.

We may now be doomed to a corporate state reminiscent of Mussolini's Italy in which corporations had formal power in the legislative process and democracy was gutted. If you thought that Dred Scott was bad -- that decision didn't take freedom away from the white majority which wasn't sharing power with non-whites, anyway.

This fascism will creep in on little alligator feet, and we won't know what is happening until too late. By 2012, paid-for corporate whores will have even the ability to get legislation that permits them to set up militias to do the dirty work. Alligators do not grow quickly, but they don't un-grow, and their appetites never shrink.

It's too bad that I didn't marry that Irish girl and move to Ireland when I had a chance.

Maybe I ought to take up cigarettes and whiskey so that cancer and cirrhosis can get me instead of some secret policeman or some private militia. Sure, I have MSNBC in the background. In four years it will be no different from FoX News, which will be even more blatant in its sycophancy to a right-wing government than it was when Dubya was President. 

You don't think you are overreacting just a bit?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2010, 11:47:07 PM »

You don't think you are overreacting just a bit?

Good Lord, may I be gloriously wrong on that!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2010, 11:56:44 PM »

Yeah, private corporate militias held martial control everywhere before McCain-Feingold Roll Eyes
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2010, 01:11:56 AM »

A Republican that we aren't naming right now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2010, 01:46:06 AM »

"“Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power" -  Benito Mussolini

He wouldn't be out of place on the SCOTUS.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2010, 02:35:42 AM »

Yeah, private corporate militias held martial control everywhere before McCain-Feingold Roll Eyes

Corporate America has gotten nastier in recent years.

Need I tell you of the bloody labor-management disputes of about a century ago? Corporations actually hired armed thugs to shoot strikers.

Oh, that would take time to occur again, but once Corporate America has complete control it will happen again -- with none but those immediately involved knowing. Strikers will of course be found guilty of murder and be executed. 

Again, may my fears be unfounded.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2010, 02:37:58 AM »

"“Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power" -  Benito Mussolini

He wouldn't be out of place on the SCOTUS.

How many times is that quote going to be misused on this site? What Mussolini meant by a "corporation" in fascist Italy is not what we mean by a "corporation" in the United States today.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2010, 06:56:05 AM »

John McCain Cheesy
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 08:11:24 AM »

That would be cool, but he is getting up there.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2010, 12:35:28 PM »

Barack Obama
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2010, 12:49:30 PM »

A Republican that we aren't naming right now.

A stealth candidate presented as a "moderate" because he has no legislative record or an obscure one? Someone now an attorney general or secretary-of-state of a small state?

That just gives the Democrats a great campaign slogan about the stealth candidate:

You know President Obama -- but do you really know (name name)? 

If people are comfortable with Obama in 2012, then they will re-elect him.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2010, 02:22:15 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2010, 02:41:17 PM by Thomas E. Dewey »

I am really going to go out on a limb and say

President - Governor Mitch Daniels of Indiana
Vice President - Governor Jan Brewer of Arizona

The first time since 1912 that a ticket of two Governors was elected.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »

Weren't you a Romney supporter?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2010, 06:17:16 PM »

Still am. 
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2010, 06:19:15 PM »

Still am. 

Ah, ok, just wondering? Why Daniels, though? He doesn't seem to interested. I'd suggest make McDonnell.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2010, 07:07:08 PM »

Still am. 

Ah, ok, just wondering? Why Daniels, though? He doesn't seem to interested. I'd suggest make McDonnell.

I strongly suspect Daniels is interested.  His protestations of no interest are so frequent, it seems hard to imagine that he is not planning to run. 

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »

Still am. 

I strongly suspect Daniels is interested.  His protestations of no interest are so frequent, it seems hard to imagine that he is not planning to run. 

Oh wow, really? I had no idea.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2010, 07:39:43 PM by Thomas E. Dewey »

Still am.  

I am indeed a big Romney supporter and I would still like to see him elected President in 2012.  

Romney is mentioned frequently as a potential President in 2012, and I hope he makes it, but I threw Daniels in there as someone who may be under rated but as someone who may have the potential to make a serious run.

I do agree McDonnell does have a very impressive resume.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies