Who do you expect to be President on January 21st, 2013?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:54:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who do you expect to be President on January 21st, 2013?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Who do you expect to be President on January 21st, 2013?  (Read 11970 times)
GLPman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 02:07:58 AM »

If the economy improves, Obama will get re-elected.  If it doesn't, Romney will win.

Detailed, scientific analysis...

I think this is probably accurate.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 02:33:29 AM »

President Obama

(And while I very much admire and support Vice-President Biden, I am sure none of us hope he becomes President.  At least not until 2016.)

I know, I'm just saying it's been awhile since a Vice President ascended to the presidency without being elected first, it's been even longer since we last had a president die in office.
We won't keep getting lucky forever.........

Oh yah, Tm...I knew you weren't hoping for an assassination.  You aren't like that.  And you're right...given the past and considering the level of irrational hatred in this country, an assassination is hardly unlikely.

Sorry dude, it's Mechaman.
I switched my state and party avatar for a "what-if" scenario, I'm portraying Dan Quayle.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 03:03:47 AM »

Mitt Romney, most likely.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 03:06:16 AM »

President Obama

(And while I very much admire and support Vice-President Biden, I am sure none of us hope he becomes President.  At least not until 2016.)

I know, I'm just saying it's been awhile since a Vice President ascended to the presidency without being elected first, it's been even longer since we last had a president die in office.
We won't keep getting lucky forever.........

Oh yah, Tm...I knew you weren't hoping for an assassination.  You aren't like that.  And you're right...given the past and considering the level of irrational hatred in this country, an assassination is hardly unlikely.

Sorry dude, it's Mechaman.
I switched my state and party avatar for a "what-if" scenario, I'm portraying Dan Quayle.

I hate it when you guys do that.  I'm too effing old and tired and cranky to keep up!  And I need my bottle, my blankie and my nap!

(Speaking of my bottle -- we are out of gin AND vodka.  And what does Mrs. Sojourner bring home from the store?  V=8 juice!)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 07:00:37 AM »

That's actually much better possibility than overrated failure called Romney, unelectable Johnson or nutjob Palin.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 01:11:56 PM »

Barack Obama, probably.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 01:39:48 PM »

Romney, unfortunately.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 02:46:20 PM »

It will be Obama unless we enter a double dip recession. The economy will be recovered by 2012, but not in time for the Democrats in 2010.
WillK

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »

Can't believe im agreeing with a Republican from Texas.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »

Romney, Gingricht, Thune
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »

President Barack Hussein Obama the second.

Willard Mitt Romney
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 06:49:55 PM »

Let's not rule out Dick Cheney...if we lose just one jetliner (though, obviously, I pray we don't), Cheney will be polling even with Obama. 

And if such an event happens between now and Nov 2010, the Dems will lose the House and Senate.  Because if that event happens, Dems would lose the women's vote.  Obama was left himself wide open on foreign policy and home security with paying for the terrorists lawyers and going on this Apology Tour.

Healthcare is (probably) dead, now the focus turns to economic and foreign policy.   I don't see how Obama pulls out of his tailspin...he's personably likeable, but he has many landmines to navigate and he's left himself with zero margin of error.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »

Let's not rule out Dick Cheney...if we lose just one jetliner (though, obviously, I pray we don't), Cheney will be polling even with Obama. 

Don't be silly. And also, Bush still got re-elected after 9/11... One could possibly argue that Bush wouldn't have gotten re-elected if not for 9/11.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 07:40:47 PM »

Don't be silly. And also, Bush still got re-elected after 9/11... One could possibly argue that Bush wouldn't have gotten re-elected if not for 9/11.

this is not pre 9/11...rather it is 2010 and Scott Brown just wont a Senate seat in MA due in part to the fact he ran against Obama giving constituational rights to terrorists.  And if it was a winning issue in MA, how do you think it is going to play in the rest of the country?

If we lose a jetliner while Obama is giving full rights to terrorists, the public is going to come UNGLUED and the GOP will become the majority party.  And even if such an event happens as early as this year (2010), I am not sure Obama could recover in time for 2012.  In fact, if it happens, I'm not even sure Obama would run in 2012.

all the polls are already showing the GOP favored in the area of fighting terrorism and home security, in fact, the majority wants Gitmo to remain open...and Obama is inviting political disaster if such an event were to occur.   The rallying cry would be, "Obama provides lawyers to defend terrorists instead of defending the lives of Americans...and now we have the bodies of 200 dead Americans strewn across the fields.  Where were their rights?  Didn't they have the right to be defended?"  The GOP won’t even have to run ads, it’ll simply be the conclusion most Americans automatically arrive at.

To politically survive a terrorist attack on the U.S., you don't tour the world apologizing to our enemies and you certainly don't provide rights and lawyers to terrorists at taxpayer expense.

Even with our best efforts, we're still open to attack, it's just part of the risks of having an open society.  But Obama hasn’t left himself any political sympathy in case of such an event.

President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 08:22:14 PM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »

Mitt Romney Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »

A change in one day?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:28 PM »

Barack Obama
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2010, 02:40:13 AM »

this is not pre 9/11...rather it is 2010 and Scott Brown just wont a Senate seat in MA due in part to the fact he ran against Obama giving constituational rights to terrorists.  And if it was a winning issue in MA, how do you think it is going to play in the rest of the country?[/quote[

Botched campaign by his opponent, and health-care reform. Obama actually does reasonably well on dealing with terrorism.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Who says that we are going to lose a jetliner to a terrorist?  We will, but it will more likely be due to one of the more ordinary causes -- like pilot error. Be more precise in your language lest someone like me call you on the carpet for it.

I would prefer that Gitmo be available to some of the recent guests of the main jail in Port-au-Prince now giving trouble could be there for "the duration" of the emergency. As for lawyers to defend terrorists, Timothy McVeigh got one. Any problem with that? He left 168 bodes strewn around the site of a terrorist bomb blast in Oklahoma City. The Israelis let Adolf Eichmann have an attorney for his defense for his role in one of the most unspeakable of crimes against Jews.

Oh -- McVeigh was executed for his crime. So was Eichmann for his crimes. Yes, even the most horrible criminal -- the terrorist and the gangster -- deserves the right to an attorney and a spirited defense. Justice must always be a rational process and not a lynch mob.

Humility, a commodity in rare supply in America, has its value. To whom were we apologizing -- al-Qaeda? Hell no! We are still trying to send it -- to Hell!

Our best efforts include refusing to create more enemies.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2010, 03:02:42 AM »

I'd actually argue that Bush would have been re-elected in a landslide without 9/11.  Wartime policy galvanized the hardline left against him.  Additionally, wartime economies have crazy swings.  The economy was beginning to improve prior to 9/11 and then it sunk into despair (with help from George Soros saying sell, sell, sell after old grannies pulled out their pensions to invest).  There is also a massive increase in spending that occurs everytime we are involved in some war.  Now, with that said, it would still be likely that we would still have the housing crash, but Clinton, rather than Obama succeeding Bush in office.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2010, 04:28:27 AM »

Mittens Romney...sadly.

I don't have much faith in Obama at this point. Obama has been a let down his first year. Conservatives always hated him, independents are falling away in droves, and his liberal base is pissed off. Democrats will be slaughtered in 2010. Obama will probably have a primary challenge which will weaken him further.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2010, 10:40:33 AM »

I'd actually argue that Bush would have been re-elected in a landslide without 9/11.  Wartime policy galvanized the hardline left against him.  Additionally, wartime economies have crazy swings.  The economy was beginning to improve prior to 9/11 and then it sunk into despair (with help from George Soros saying sell, sell, sell after old grannies pulled out their pensions to invest).  There is also a massive increase in spending that occurs everytime we are involved in some war.  Now, with that said, it would still be likely that we would still have the housing crash, but Clinton, rather than Obama succeeding Bush in office.

Landslide? His domestic policies were terribly unpopular. The people who say that they voted against him because of the climate of fear would generally have voted against him either for his domestic policies or as partisan Democrats, so that means little.

Dubya offered some pretense of "enhanced security" -- never mind that America was no safer. His administration created a climate of fear, and that works to win support for considerable time. If that wanes, then so does the chance of re-election, but he wasn't running for re-election in 2006. People don't support what numbs them.

John Kerry was running on economic issues in a time in which national focus was on the War on Terrorismfor the Glorification of a Shallow Leader, and of course he lost. Had it not been for the bungled war in Iraq, economics would have been the issue, and Dubya would have gone down to electoral defeat as did his father. At the least his father resolved an international mess; Kuwait was liberated and Saddam Hussein's fascist regime was under lock and key.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »

Barack Obama
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »

Until the GOP no longer consists of people who believe that the Earth was created 6000 or so years ago and that humans have no connection to apes but are a special creation; that state-sponsored or politician-directed prayer belongs in public schools; that no human suffering is excessive so long as there is a profit to be gained from it; and that their hangnails hurt more than others' third-degree burns --

Barack Obama.   
GLPman
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »

Until the GOP no longer consists of people who believe that the Earth was created 6000 or so years ago and that humans have no connection to apes but are a special creation; that state-sponsored or politician-directed prayer belongs in public schools; that no human suffering is excessive so long as there is a profit to be gained from it; and that their hangnails hurt more than others' third-degree burns --

Barack Obama.   

Wonderful, but nobody will care about any of this when 2012 rolls around since there are more important issues at hand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies