Al Gore/Patty Murray vs. John McCain/John Engler (2000)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:54:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Al Gore/Patty Murray vs. John McCain/John Engler (2000)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Gore/Patty Murray vs. John McCain/John Engler (2000)  (Read 1025 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
« edited: January 16, 2010, 12:20:23 AM by Jasmine's Prince »

Also, Gore asks Clinton to campaign a lot for him throughout the campaign, which Clinton agrees to do. In addition, Gore makes the good economy a centerpiece of his campaign. Everything else stays the same. I'm thinking Gore narrowly wins.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:10:55 AM »

Closest states: FL, WI, PA, TN, AR. Hesitant about NV and NM though.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »

I'd give NV, WI, MI, NH, TN, and the other Maine EV to Gore. I think that Murray would be able to increase base/liberal turnout (also some voters who planned to vote for Nader might vote for Gore due to his liberal VP) while simaultaneously energizing the female vote in favor of Gore. Also, I think Clinton's campaigning and Gore's emphasis on the good economy would be enough for him to pull off a victory. I know McCain is more charismatic/moderate (and thus more appealing) than Bush was, but I think that having a female VP and having a popular President campaign for Gore will more than offset McCain's advantage in the electability department.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »

I'd give NV, WI, MI, NH, TN, and the other Maine EV to Gore. I think that Murray would be able to increase base/liberal turnout (also some voters who planned to vote for Nader might vote for Gore due to his liberal VP) while simaultaneously energizing the female vote in favor of Gore. Also, I think Clinton's campaigning and Gore's emphasis on the good economy would be enough for him to pull off a victory. I know McCain is more charismatic/moderate (and thus more appealing) than Bush was, but I think that having a female VP and having a popular President campaign for Gore will more than offset McCain's advantage in the electability department.

Gore himself was pretty liberal, and I don't think a female token candidate delivers much from anything. Despite Clinton's campaigning, if Bush was able to grab NH and make ME close, I see no reason why McCain wouldn't, and also do well in the Great Lakes with Engler.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 11:55:30 AM »

Gore himself was pretty liberal, and I don't think a female token candidate delivers much from anything. Despite Clinton's campaigning, if Bush was able to grab NH and make ME close, I see no reason why McCain wouldn't, and also do well in the Great Lakes with Engler.

I don't think many people considered Gore liberal back in 2000. I mean, 3% of the voters decided to vote for Nader (who they knew was a lost cause) because they thought Gore was too conservative, and many more liberal voters stayed home altogether for the same reason. BTW, a lot of women wanted a female VP, and Murray seems to be pretty competent so there is little potential to backfire. In a close election this will matter, since I think many undecided female voters will vote for Gore due to the VP. I also think that many liberal/Nader voters would find Murray appealing (due to her political positions) and vote for Gore instead. BTW, Clinton didn't campaign for Gore in RL. That's why Bush manged to win New Hampshire and come close in Maine and several other states. Also I think Gore's emphasis on the good economy and Clinton's campaigning will further swing many undecided voters in favor of Gore. In regards to Michigan, Gore beat Bush there by 5% in RL. Despite McCain's greater electability, Gore would probably still win due to Clinton's campaigning and his female VP. These two factors should also help Gore win some other states (like WI) in the Great Lakes region.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »

This, though I might flip IA and NM.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies