What has happened to the GOP in New York state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:23:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What has happened to the GOP in New York state
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What has happened to the GOP in New York state  (Read 7074 times)
hotpprs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: 3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:55:27 PM »

I can't believe Rick Lazio is the best GOP choice we have for NY Governor. Maybe it is just such a horrible job that Lazio is the only one willing to run for it.
I don't know much about Lazio or his policies, but from the disaster of 10 years ago against Hillary Clinton, and the fact that he spent the last several years as a VP for a big NY bank, I don't even have to know his policies. Even if the winds are changing in politics due to the Democratics destroying this country, especially the middle class, I don't think Lazio has any chance for a comeback for any major seat in this state. What will fly in Long Island, necessarily doesn't fly upstate or in NYC. It's kind of like it's own little world.
We need a fresh face, and there must be someone in this state who can rebuild this party.
Maybe a non-politician who has name recognition in the state. But I don't think it can come from any industry that people feel have had anything to do with lowering their standard of living, or with the mortgage mess or having seen their 401k's shrink.
I just don't think it's in the cards for the NY Governor seat this year. The Senate seat is a different story, but it looks like the NY state GOP party is screwing that up also. There should be a clear front runner they are standing behind and pumping up, but I don't even know who is thinking of running. All I hear about is who is not running.
Wake up people.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »

Cuomo will ultimately run for governor, making his Republican opponent a sacrificial lamb, anyway.  Lazio can do that.

Who the Republicans are running for the Senate seat is a mystery.  The Republican bench in New York is pretty thin.  There are only 2 Republican congressmen left - one is a freshman, the other doesn't want the job.  Most State Senators are too old and unknown.  Most of the large county execs were Democrats until this cycle.  The bench got replenished a bit in the last cycle - but it's not soon enough for the next election.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »

The Conservative Party, Gun Control mania in the suburbs, population decline in the Southern Tier, Pataki's unpopularity in his third term. The rapid decent to marginalism upstate from being strongly GOP. The fall of Alphonse D'Amato wiped out the influence of someone that could control and actually get the Conservative Party to back a moderate(Pataki). The failure to create a new generation of Republican candidates resulting in the State Senate becoming filled with elderly Republicans who should have been put out to pasteur long ago but fear of losing the seats or lack of a bench to replace them has kept them from leaving. How is that for starters?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:11:28 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2010, 12:01:06 AM by redcommander »

They better find someone to run against Gillibrand at least. It better not be Bruce Blakeman either, if that's the best the NY GOP can do, than the races in November may actually be a bright spot for Democrats. There has got to be some good candidates that will eventually announce a challenge to Gillibrand, Cuomo, or Patterson.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 11:48:52 PM »

It collapsed and became greatly weakened since many New Yorkers realized that the current GOP is too conservative for them.
live free or die
vane
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -4.43

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:53:24 PM »

NY is in a pretty bad position, I must say. It is funny that Democrats can't get elected NYC mayor though.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »

NY is in a pretty bad position, I must say. It is funny that Democrats can't get elected NYC mayor though.

They will after Bloomberg most likely.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 08:14:51 PM »

It's a hallowed out, mostly dead party. I was kind of hoping that the same would happen to the GOP nationally but we didn't get that lucky, apparently. Tongue
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 04:37:02 AM »

To those who thought that some of the wins the GOP had last year in some local races may help them in the future statewide.  Well this kind of crap won't help....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=3DB3C661241AF010AA8A.1296?site=newsday&view=page8&feed:a=newsday_1min&feed:c=topstories&feed:i=1.1728314

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 11:21:09 PM »

read the comments section on this article:
http://www.redstate.com/brianfaughnan/2010/01/28/whats-the-matter-with-the-new-york-state-gop/

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 01:42:11 AM »

Bush killed the party. He got his 9/11 boost in 2004, but then when the 9/11 magic stopped working for Republicans in New York, it really stopped working. This state voted for D'Amato in 1992, so things have changed quite a bit.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 12:05:54 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2010, 12:10:24 PM by redcommander »

I will say that Republicans have at least found a good candidate for State Comptroller, Henry Wilson http://www.wilsonfornewyork.com, but they need to work harder to find others for the other state and federal offices.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:03:51 PM »

Like the rest of the country, the party went too far right and the GOP lost suburbia.  Suburban voters used to carry states like NJ, IL, PA, NH, and even OR/WA and CA.

Once the suburban vote was lost, it was all over for the GOP in NY.

The GOP used to own Long Island, but not anymore.  The typical democratic win was around 52-47% every year, but since 1992, forget about it.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 11:42:08 PM »

Like the rest of the country, the party went too far right and the GOP lost suburbia.  Suburban voters used to carry states like NJ, IL, PA, NH, and even OR/WA and CA.

The GOP used to own Long Island, but not anymore.  The typical democratic win was around 52-47% every year, but since 1992, forget about it.

You're right, Long Island used to be a Republican bastion. Reagan carried New York twice, and Bush Sr. made the state close, because counties like Westchester, Nassau, Richmond, and Suffolk voted Republican with such large margins. Since the Bush Jr. years, the Republicans have lost tremendous ground in the state and in those areas in particular, but if last November was an indicator, I do think the tide will continue to turn in the Republicans' favor this fall. They have a shot a picking up Congressional seats, and retaking the state senate. They just need to recruit a solid statewide ticket for all those political races up in November.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 09:45:04 AM »

Like the rest of the country, the party went too far right and the GOP lost suburbia.  Suburban voters used to carry states like NJ, IL, PA, NH, and even OR/WA and CA.

The GOP used to own Long Island, but not anymore.  The typical democratic win was around 52-47% every year, but since 1992, forget about it.

You're right, Long Island used to be a Republican bastion. Reagan carried New York twice, and Bush Sr. made the state close, because counties like Westchester, Nassau, Richmond, and Suffolk voted Republican with such large margins. Since the Bush Jr. years, the Republicans have lost tremendous ground in the state and in those areas in particular, but if last November was an indicator, I do think the tide will continue to turn in the Republicans' favor this fall. They have a shot a picking up Congressional seats, and retaking the state senate. They just need to recruit a solid statewide ticket for all those political races up in November.

LOL, A low turnout off year election doesn't mean things will automatically be the same the following year.  Though it looks like they will be rescinded the anger at the GOP pay raise vote  is not a good way to start off your hold in the majority.  Not to mention you think the  GOP will pick up NY-04 of all seats, that right there should disqualify you from making any comments on the GOP's chances in NY.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 12:15:58 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2010, 12:19:17 PM by xavier110 »

Yeah, the Republicans haven't handled taking over Nassau County very well.

And if there's any LI congressperson who's going to be in a close race, it's Bishop.

Also, I don't think there's really any way the Dems lose the governorship, but there's a slight chance Gillibrand's seat could go either way. I'm not counting out Harold Ford. Most of these polls are underestimating his AA support. I'd say he'd probably be a stronger general election candidate, even though he also has more baggage.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 02:09:10 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2010, 02:12:14 PM by redcommander »

LOL, A low turnout off year election doesn't mean things will automatically be the same the following year.  Though it looks like they will be rescinded the anger at the GOP pay raise vote  is not a good way to start off your hold in the majority.  Not to mention you think the  GOP will pick up NY-04 of all seats, that right there should disqualify you from making any comments on the GOP's chances in NY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York's_4th_congressional_district
It is possible for her to lose her seat so stop making it seem as though it is a crazy idea. It's not as if I am saying Ackerman or Maloney's seat can be picked up.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »

Long Island wasn't all that much of a Republican bastion at congressional level, fwiw.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »

Reagan only won here in 1980 because of Anderson.  Ford lost here because Carter for whatever reason did well on Long Island.  The GOP would always be in the upper 50s here to even 60% and Carter lost the island by just a few points.

The RINOs (like myself) that we need to win here are just about gone.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »

Long Island wasn't all that much of a Republican bastion at congressional level, fwiw.

This is true. Prior to WW2, most of its Congressmen were Dems. GOP dominance was post WW2 occurance. and considering that NY-01, NY-02, and NY-03 changed hands frequenctly. NY-04 was the only consistently Republican district from 1952-1996.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 05:10:35 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2010, 05:20:54 AM by Smash255 »

LOL, A low turnout off year election doesn't mean things will automatically be the same the following year.  Though it looks like they will be rescinded the anger at the GOP pay raise vote  is not a good way to start off your hold in the majority.  Not to mention you think the  GOP will pick up NY-04 of all seats, that right there should disqualify you from making any comments on the GOP's chances in NY.

It is possible for her to lose her seat so stop making it seem as though it is a crazy idea. It's not as if I am saying Ackerman or Maloney's seat can be picked up.

I'm making it seem like a crazy idea BECAUSE IT IS A CRAZY IDEA.  Is the district as Democratic as Ackerman or Maloney's seats?  No.  Is it a strongly Democratic district?  Yes.  Districts that Obama won by 17 points aren't going to suddenly become competitive because you say so.   Hell, only three districts that are represented by a Republican went stronger for Obama than NY-04 did, and they are all likely gone this year (IL-10,DE-AL & LA-02).  This isn't a marginal or slightly Dem district.  Its pretty solid Dem.   On top of that McCarthy is a well entrenched, popular incumbent in her 7th term and the GOP has nothing in the district as far as a bench.  Scatturo isn't going to do anything, come on.  The GOP has what in this district?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »

This is true. Prior to WW2, most of its Congressmen were Dems. GOP dominance was post WW2 occurance. and considering that NY-01, NY-02, and NY-03 changed hands frequenctly. NY-04 was the only consistently Republican district from 1952-1996.

Even in other elections the Mighty Republican Stronghold thing doesn't fit that well... HHH managed to poll over 40% in Nassau in 1968, while Carter (not... exactly... the ideal Democrat for the area) came very close to winning it.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »

LOLOLOLOL I live in NY-04. You're not beating Carolyn McCarthy. Like you're actually not going to do be able to defeat her. She's popular among constituents, she has name recognition really throughout the state, and she won't be defeated by a lunatic Republican.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »

I live in NY-04 also.  I am no fan of McCarthy but she will win handily.  Demographic shifts have also been favorable to the Dems. 
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »

Wanna know what happened? ..It died.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies