Should organized religion be outlawed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:57:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should organized religion be outlawed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ....
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Should organized religion be outlawed?  (Read 4285 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »

To do so would only give it significance, thus prolonging its natural extinction from rational society.

Hah! Auguste Comte would like to agree with you, but he's been saying the same thing for almost 200 years.

It may take yet another 200 years, but I do believe that the outcome is predictable and inevitable. Even today you can see the power of organized religion waning.

No it isn't. That is quite possibly one of the biggest myths in the world. Organized Religion if anything is on the increase and has been on the increase since the 1960s (if not earlier).
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 04:42:16 PM »

No because that would give the Hard Christian Right evidence to prove the existence some sort of Atheist-Satanist conspiracy against Christianity.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 11:51:09 AM »

Only 15% of the forum are leftist authoritarians?  I would have guessed more like 30%.

1-You probably consider me a leftist authoritarian for supporting things like smoking bans. It's quite a leap to assume one would support this on the basis of supporting a smoking ban.
2-Most of those "Yes" votes are probably jokes anyway.
perdedor

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »

To do so would only give it significance, thus prolonging its natural extinction from rational society.

Hah! Auguste Comte would like to agree with you, but he's been saying the same thing for almost 200 years.

It may take yet another 200 years, but I do believe that the outcome is predictable and inevitable. Even today you can see the power of organized religion waning.

No it isn't. That is quite possibly one of the biggest myths in the world. Organized Religion if anything is on the increase and has been on the increase since the 1960s (if not earlier).

What exactly are you basing this on? In terms of modern society, there is far less enthusiasm about the prospect of religion, far more cynicism as well.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »

No, shame on the people who voted yes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 05:16:58 AM »

Only 15% of the forum are leftist authoritarians?  I would have guessed more like 30%.

1-You probably consider me a leftist authoritarian for supporting things like smoking bans. It's quite a leap to assume one would support this on the basis of supporting a smoking ban.
2-Most of those "Yes" votes are probably jokes anyway.
1. I don't consider you that.  I didn't even know your views on smoking bans as smoking bans are way down my list of important issues.  You're over thinking this.
2.maybe

I was just trying to draw some of the yes votes out to comically defend their position.  The 30% thing may have had a touch of hyperbole.
live free or die
vane
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -4.43

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 11:48:03 PM »

No.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 09:24:32 PM »

Certainly not. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »

If pot is any indication, banning organized religion would lead to a lot of religious teenagers.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »

What exactly are you basing this on? In terms of modern society, there is far less enthusiasm about the prospect of religion, far more cynicism as well.

Evidence? No church attendance figures are not really evidence for many reasons.
ARescan
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 04:54:27 PM »

This would cause another Civil War, a war that I would fight with the religious people.
KeeptheChange
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 06:48:15 PM »

This would cause another Civil War, a war that I would fight with the religious people.

Agree.  While I think some liberals actually want this and would support it, I doubt all of them would.  Obama worries me, of course.  He has been very openly hostile to Christianity.  But I don't believe all the silly conspiracy theories.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 12:13:06 AM »

Evidence? No church attendance figures are not really evidence for many reasons.
Now while I agree you couldn't base the entire argument on it, but wouldn't attendance figures be an important data point when trying to figure out if a people are becoming more or less religious?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 06:02:24 AM »

Now while I agree you couldn't base the entire argument on it, but wouldn't attendance figures be an important data point when trying to figure out if a people are becoming more or less religious?

Not necessarily, for example it could indicate high levels of social conformism rather than religious activities. Or lower attendance may indicate that people are moving religious activities more into their private sphere.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 06:18:15 AM »

Right, those data points can be used too but that doesn't mean attendance figures are worthless as you brought up.

Anyway, you stated the decline of organized religion is one of the biggest myths in the world.  Lets see some stats.

(and I'm not sure if it was you or somebody else...but the last time I asked for stats I got somebody doing the math for themselves which is insane on at least 2 different levels...don't do that.  Right...so some stats, using some science showing organized religion is on the rise.  Bonus points if your cite leaves Islam out of it and only focuses on the West, but I understand that might be asking a bit much.

Also, I have no idea what the correct answer is here...I would assume a decline, at least in the West.  Worldwide may be a different story, but even then I'd lean towards a decline.  You seem to know it's on the rise so showing me the proof that convinced you should be more than enough.)
true liberty
Rookie

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 02:35:00 AM »

of course not. freedom to assemble, people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 06:01:28 AM »

I guess Golly never found those stats he was looking for.  Biggest myth in the world indeed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies