I am now an Associate Pastor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:19:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  I am now an Associate Pastor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: I am now an Associate Pastor  (Read 9603 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:25:07 AM »

I am officially the Associate Pastor at the church where I've been going since the young age of 4 years old.  I've been studying under the Senior Pastor's wing for the past 14 months and am now beginning the process of Ordination.  The process, if everything goes smoothly, should only take about a month to two months.  Ordination, in the Southern Baptist Convention, is a four-step process.  The first step is for the Candidate and the Pastor to sit down and talk and pray together.  The second step is for the Pastor and the Deacons and other Ordained Ministers (Ordaining Council) within the local body to meet and discuss the Candidate's readiness.  The third step, if the Ordaining Council agrees, is for the OC and the Candidate to meet and discuss.  At that time, it will either be determined that the Candidate is ready to be Ordained, or needs to wait a period of time.  If the Candidate is ready to be ordained, then the papers will be signed at that meeting and a Ordination Ceremony will be scheduled for a Sunday morning a few weeks down the road so as to give the Candidate time to invite whom He would like.

While I'm going through the process of Ordination, I am taking on the role of Associate Pastor, assisting the Senior Pastor in delivering the messages on occasion, assisting in the Lord's Supper and Baptisms, and making visitations to the new visitors, shut-ins, and hospitalized, and any other member who can't make it on a regular basis to church.

I won't be paid for this role as my church can't take on another payroll member, but I will be the Associate Pastor anyway.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:28:58 AM »

You poor thing.  Here's hoping you feel better soon.  Sad
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 01:29:59 AM »

I pray that you will preach the gospel boldly.  May Christ bless you.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 01:57:42 AM »

You don't have to have some kind of religious degree for ordination?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 02:34:01 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2010, 02:37:08 AM by Joe Republic »

Don't be silly.  An advanced education is not required to become a trusted authority on issues of history, science, philosophy and sociology.  Especially not in Oklahoma.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:03:05 AM »

Don't be silly.  An advanced education is not required to become a trusted authority on issues of history, science, philosophy and sociology.  Especially not in Oklahoma.

I wonder when he'll take up his high school teaching job in science? He's qualified now as an associate pastor, after all.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:18:39 AM »

I wonder when he'll take up his high school teaching job in science? He's qualified now as an associate pastor, after all.

I've always wished that Biology curricula would include a unit on snake handling.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:01:48 AM »

I've always wished that Biology curricula would include a unit on snake handling.

Indeed, and I'd also like to see Glossolalia added to any languages program.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »

Well best of luck to you. Being a paster, preacher, priest or vicar is a calling where ever that call comes from. I hope that you will be honest and genuine and that you will make hard and difficult decisions. And above all listen. Too many pastors are just all talk.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:01:01 AM »

Acts 4:13 "When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2010, 09:41:08 AM by Joe Republic »

Acts 4:13 "When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus."

Just like I said, you don't need to go to any fancy-schmantzy book-learnin place to be able to preach any old nonsen... sorry, gospel, and have people hang on your every word.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »

Well best of luck to you. Being a paster, preacher, priest or vicar is a calling where ever that call comes from. I hope that you will be honest and genuine and that you will make hard and difficult decisions. And above all listen. Too many pastors are just all talk.

I echo this....
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »

Just like I said, you don't need to go to any fancy-schmantzy book-learnin place to be able to preach any old nonsen... sorry, gospel, and have people hang on your every word.

The point being that there are some people to be hung on their every word. Just saying it as a fact, not a judgment.

Yes, the fact that Mohamed was just a 'classical uneducated man' (as it is spoken of him at least in Muslim mythology) impressed a lot of people too.

Religion transcends reality, for the worst and the best.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 10:09:21 AM »

there is the knowledge that can be gained through human effort, and thankfully there is the knowledge that comes only from God:

1Cor 1
 18For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written:
   "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
      the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."
 20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.
 26Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29so that no one may boast before him. 30It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »

there is the knowledge that can be gained through human effort, and thankfully there is the knowledge that comes only from God:

Although a healthy imagination certainly shouldn't be stifled, I wouldn't say that it necessarily provides knowledge.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »

Although a healthy imagination certainly shouldn't be stifled, I wouldn't say that it necessarily provides knowledge.

Joe, we understand you are not a believer.  We get that part.  But since you claim to be learned and clear-minded, feel free to demonstrate how your "advanced education" can dismantle the "imagination" of my unlearned conversion in Oct '92.  Weigh my testimony of the night I receive the Holy Spirit while alone in my apartment against the scripture and find for us a single iota of contradiction.   I have stated in great detail of that night numerous times on this forum.  Certainly with so a huge volume of data, you could find a single discrepancy between my testimony and the bible.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:14 AM »

But since you claim to be learned and clear-minded, feel free to demonstrate how your "advanced education" can dismantle the "imagination" of my unlearned conversion in Oct '92.  Weigh my testimony of the night I receive the Holy Spirit while alone in my apartment against the scripture and find for us a single iota of contradiction.   I have stated in great detail of that night numerous times on this forum.  Certainly with so a huge volume of data, you could find a single discrepancy between my testimony and the bible.

Simple.

But of course, I'm certainly not the only person to have taken the "facts" you've presented to us and reached that conclusion for you.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 11:44:37 AM »

Joe, why did you even bother posting in this thread?  Your purpose was only to incite and/or mock. It seems rather trollish behavior to me.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »

Joe, why did you even bother posting in this thread?  Your purpose was only to incite and/or mock. It seems rather trollish behavior to me.

My behavior is no different here than if a poster had announced that they were becoming an abortion doctor or a communist subversive or something.  You can bet that jmfcst would join me in inciting/mocking them then.  (Besides, how often have we had to put up with jmfcst infecting other threads with his use of complex fairytales to justify his bigotry?  This is a proportionate response.)

To me, BushOK becoming a preacher is nothing to be proud of.  He may have the best intentions, and he is personally harmless, but he is helping to spread ignorance and bigotry.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »

But since you claim to be learned and clear-minded, feel free to demonstrate how your "advanced education" can dismantle the "imagination" of my unlearned conversion in Oct '92.  Weigh my testimony of the night I receive the Holy Spirit while alone in my apartment against the scripture and find for us a single iota of contradiction.   I have stated in great detail of that night numerous times on this forum.  Certainly with so a huge volume of data, you could find a single discrepancy between my testimony and the bible.

Simple.

But of course, I'm certainly not the only person to have taken the "facts" you've presented to us and reached that conclusion for you.

fine, set my conclusions completely aside....you name for us a single detail of the testimony of my conversion that you feel is in disgreement with scripture
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 12:05:09 PM »

fine, set my conclusions completely aside....you name for us a single detail of the testimony of my conversion that you feel is in disgreement with scripture

You do realize that you're asking an apatheist to compare details of your delusions with passages from an outdated work of (largely) fiction?  What exactly is the purpose of that, may I ask?

You may as well ask me to find an inconsistency between the entire mythos created by J.R.R. Tolkien, and a wonderful dream you had once.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 12:12:03 PM »

I'm offering kind words because I hope that an exposure to this Forum and the varied arguments, debates and personalities shows him even just a little, that certain people are not to be frightened of, threatened and more or less treated with indifference. He has the potential to be a good pastor...or just as predictable as all the others.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 12:13:02 PM »

My behavior is no different here than if a poster had announced that they were becoming an abortion doctor or a communist subversive or something.  You can bet that jmfcst would join me in inciting/mocking them then.  (Besides, how often have we had to put up with jmfcst infecting other threads with his use of complex fairytales to justify his bigotry?  This is a proportionate response.)

To me, BushOK becoming a preacher is nothing to be proud of.  He may have the best intentions, and he is personally harmless, but he is helping to spread ignorance and bigotry.

Fair enough. It just seems a bit petty to thread $hit within 3 minutes.  You also are drifting  toward the same intolerance you bemoan.  

Im sure you feel that you are just being intolerant of intolerance, however, it just didn't seem the right time to me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 12:27:44 PM »

It's not like Bushie is taking up an illicit activity.

Let's just be happy for him.....
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You do realize that you're asking an apatheist to compare details of your delusions with passages from an outdated work of (largely) fiction?  What exactly is the purpose of that, may I ask?

You may as well ask me to find an inconsistency between the entire mythos created by J.R.R. Tolkien, and a wonderful dream you had once.
[/quote]

Sorry, was I asking too much of your advanced knowledge?  Well, let me help you out; for, you see, when I object to what someone is saying, I can build point upon of point and make an argument, which helps to "moderate" my remarks and keeps it from becoming pure heckling, which in your case, would be quite unbecoming in your position as "Moderator".

So, by comparing my very detailed testimony with the remarks of scripture, we certainly can create a test in order to determine who is, and who is not, delusional.  If the details of my testimony don't align with scripture, then we can safely conclude I was delusional.  Conversely, if the details of my testimony do align with scripture, then we can conclude that you're being delusional in your dismissiveness...perhaps in an attempt to shield yourself from your inner fears concerning eternity.

So, without further ado, please demonstrate for us how my testimony did not align to scripture and therefore was merely delusional....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies