Should women be allowed to vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:32:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should women be allowed to vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Should women be allowed to vote?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Should women be allowed to vote?  (Read 20784 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 11:36:29 PM »

No, of course not. That's disgusting. I'm just saying that if the law said what Grumpy Gramps wanted, then many women will find some tricks to get around Grumpy Gramps's law.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 11:55:02 PM »

No, of course not. That's disgusting. I'm just saying that if the law said what Grumpy Gramps wanted, then many women will find some tricks to get around Grumpy Gramps's law.

Also, what if a person has more than one penis? Does that mean they get two votes?
Does size matter?
What if it's circumsized?
What if they also have a vagina?
What if they look like a chick?
Too many variables........
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2010, 12:02:29 AM »

(Of course I support universal suffrage.)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 03:02:11 AM »

Intriguing argument.  I never thought about it that way.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 05:04:17 AM »

I always found women more intellectually curious, informed, and driven to be better achievers than men. Most of the AP classes I had in school were chock full of women with few guys. Most of the guys were too busy with irrational, pointless endeavours like sports and trying to get laid.

Men have had generations of being brought up to believe they were the dominant sex. This leads to an attitude that they don't need to try very hard because they are naturally better than women. Women, on the other hand, are now expected to have their own career and still maintain a family. They are driven to succeed because they know they have opportunities that before were not offered.

You might say my argument is flawed because it is anecdotal and offers no proof. I am only matching the level of discourse this thread has offered so far.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2010, 05:08:22 AM »

Was that really necessary to empty-quote?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2010, 06:11:29 AM »

Any view is worthy of discussion, no matter how ridiculous it might seem. If he were to advocate the restoration of the divine right of kings, or of slavery, I would take the same approach.

I disagree with you. Some people are so stupid that they only deserve contempt.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:52 AM »

Then it is not a complete penis.

No vote.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2010, 12:46:18 PM »

Yes, unless they're felons or legally decalred mentally retarded.

Why don't they get to vote?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2010, 01:04:59 PM »

Yes, unless they're felons or legally decalred mentally retarded.

Why don't they get to vote?

Because losing your vote is "paying back your debt to America" or some other moderate hero reactionary bull.
CJK
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »

That's because bigots like you ensure that women are raised from birth to be submissive and weak, while men are taught to be independent, aggressive, and free-thinking.

Actually when I was a kid the PC propaganda at school and on TV brainwashed me into thinking that women were just as good as men were. Through personal experience and the examination of the relevant science, I now know that that conclusion was incorrect.

Your position that men and women really aren't different is liberal creationism, pure and simple.

Women have all the same mental faculties as men.  The reason why women are on average more emotional than men (although there are exceptions) is because that is how women are socialized.  They are taught to be nurturing and sensitive from a very early age.  They are taught that the proper way for a woman to act is to be dainty and weak, and they are taught that their goal in life is to find a man and have children.  Independence and strength is rarely encouraged in girls as they grow up.  And these same things are also applied to boys, but in the opposite manner.

It is possible to raise a girl to be emotionally strong, independent, and aggressive.  Some women are raised in this way.  But it rarely happens.  It is not because women are programmed at birth to spend an hour fixing their hair in the morning.  It is because they are socialized a certain way.  And bigoted bullsh**t like what you're spouting is only making it worse.

What year is this, 1950? Society has been shoving down pro-women, anti-male crap down our throats for at least 40 years. And it really hasn't changed anything. All the science points to evolutionary biology which explains that over many thousands of years women were gatherers while men were hunters who provided security and leadership. You think it's just a coincidence that men throughout history in virtually every civilization have constituted the vast majority of leaders, and if not leaders, advisers?
CJK
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »

Jesus Christ, people.  There are innate differences between women and men.  These differences are statistical, socialization exaggerates them to some degree, and any given woman is probably "manlier" than average in some aspects.  But even if this weren't the case -- if every woman systematically thought differently (in whatever aspect) from every man! -- why the hell would that cause you to argue against universal suffrage, especially if you're still letting the stupidest men vote?!

Anyone who argues against the existence of (I repeat, statistical) differences between women and men in order to argue for universal suffrage is shooting himself (on this forum, there's mostly no reason to try to use PC pronouns) in the foot by tying himself to empirical falsehoods.  The same goes (though to a less cut-and-dried extent) for racial differences.  It's unclear whether there are (statistical, naturally) innate differences between races (to the extent that races can even be defined) but it's also irrelevant because it's stupid and (in my view) immoral to be bigoted based on such differences even if they exist.

Stupidity is not the same as irrationality. The evidence indicates that women are only slight less intelligent than men (on average). The problem is how they use that intelligence. They do not use in a manner that is conducive to leadership or productivity.

For instance, Warren G. Harding was a complete dolt compared to Vladimir Lenin. But I don't doubt that most people would find Lenin's belief more rational than Harding's today.
CJK
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2010, 01:17:35 PM »

Forget the argument between nature and nurture. You may think rational and intelligent women are a rarity, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't think most black people I know should vote, but I still wouldn't deny all blacks the right to vote because I know plenty of them who are absolutely intelligent, rational, and well informed. I don't want most women I know voting, but I know some who are smarter and more rational than a lot of men.

That's true, but following your logic we would have to let teenagers vote because some teenagers are much more informed and rational than adults. There are plenty of 15 year olds that are more "qualified" to vote than adults but as a society we recognize that they tend to lack judgement.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2010, 01:39:56 PM »

Sad
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2010, 01:50:03 PM »

Voting is an attempt to have your interests represented.

Even if one accepts your argument that women are irrational, which I obviously don't, why should that in any way be relevant?

Because it's not in the nation's interest to have half the electorate consisting of largely irrational people. That lead us to electing irrational politicians and contributes to having irrational policy. People who make decisions based off there emotions usually don't do what's in their best interests.

Interesting you have that philosophy, considering that it exactly what led to Bush winning.....
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »

I think penises and vaginas are equal Tongue

All penises are created equal.

Mechaman is a circumsized-penis-hater!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »

I think penises and vaginas are equal Tongue

All penises are created equal.

Mechaman is a circumsized-penis-hater!

No I'm not! Hell I am circumcized, that is why I asked!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2010, 03:46:15 PM »

Hell I am circumcized, that is why I asked!

So you should not vote, Mr.! Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2010, 03:48:26 PM »

What did it say in the Constitution? "All penii are created equal"? YOu dare defy those words!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2010, 03:52:35 PM »

What did it say in the Constitution? "All penii are created equal"? YOu dare defy those words!
Created equal, and uncircumcized.

And I'm pretty sure it's penes.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2010, 03:57:42 PM by Howard Baker »

YOU DARE DENY EQUAL PENIS RIGHTS! YOU PENISFAGS! YOU ARE EVERYTHING THAT IS MESSED UP IN THIS TRADITIONALIST PENIS SOCIETY! GODDAMN YOU CIRCUMCISION HATER! GODDAMN YOU!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »

Denying voting rights because penis was circumcized is clearly unconstitutional!
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2010, 03:59:14 PM by Evil Right-Wing Populist »

That's because bigots like you ensure that women are raised from birth to be submissive and weak, while men are taught to be independent, aggressive, and free-thinking.

Actually when I was a kid the PC propaganda at school and on TV brainwashed me into thinking that women were just as good as men were. Through personal experience and the examination of the relevant science, I now know that that conclusion was incorrect.

Your position that men and women really aren't different is liberal creationism, pure and simple.

Women have all the same mental faculties as men.  The reason why women are on average more emotional than men (although there are exceptions) is because that is how women are socialized.  They are taught to be nurturing and sensitive from a very early age.  They are taught that the proper way for a woman to act is to be dainty and weak, and they are taught that their goal in life is to find a man and have children.  Independence and strength is rarely encouraged in girls as they grow up.  And these same things are also applied to boys, but in the opposite manner.

It is possible to raise a girl to be emotionally strong, independent, and aggressive.  Some women are raised in this way.  But it rarely happens.  It is not because women are programmed at birth to spend an hour fixing their hair in the morning.  It is because they are socialized a certain way.  And bigoted bullsh**t like what you're spouting is only making it worse.

What year is this, 1950? Society has been shoving down pro-women, anti-male crap down our throats for at least 40 years. And it really hasn't changed anything. All the science points to evolutionary biology which explains that over many thousands of years women were gatherers while men were hunters who provided security and leadership. You think it's just a coincidence that men throughout history in virtually every civilization have constituted the vast majority of leaders, and if not leaders, advisers?

That's because women were treated as breeding slaves throughout much of human history.  It's true that on average, men are more physically capable than women.  The fact that most societies are patriarchal in nature has something to do with that.  It has nothing to do with women being "irrational."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »

YOU DARE DENY EQUAL PENIS RIGHTS! YOU PENISFAGS! YOU ARE EVERYTHING THAT IS MESSED UP IN THIS TRADITIONALIST PENIS SOCIETY! GODDAMN YOU CIRCUMCISION HATER! GODDAMN YOU!

We shall overcome!
Gren
Spain

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.43

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2010, 04:57:41 PM »

There is little evidence that either sex is the most intelligent. Men tend to be better at maths and have better spatial skills, but usually women are more skilfull when it comes to learning languages, and they seem to have more developed social skills. Girls use to have a better reading comprehension, too.
I'd say that, between those who are extremely smart, men are a majority, but also between the less inteligent ones. So more women than men would occupy the middle ranks. But I guess that when it comes to an issue like this, we should take it as an individual matter. Generalizing can be very dangerous and inaccurate.

Anyway, those who say that women then to be more emotional: what's wrong with that? Being able to empathize with the rest of the people is as important as being rational. I would even say that sometimes it is more important. If we acted regarding only to logical reasoning, we would be like artificial humanoids. Voting is not an excepction. So that's not the point.
In my opinion, education plays a more important role that being more or less clever.

It's sad that so many people have those ultraconservative ideas. And it is sadder the fact that they try to make their opinion look scientifically proven and rational, when it is just full of prejudice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies