Should women be allowed to vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:36:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should women be allowed to vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Should women be allowed to vote?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Should women be allowed to vote?  (Read 20556 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 07:28:55 PM »

HURR DURR I THINKS I KNOW HOW WMNN THINKS
CJK
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »

Voting is an attempt to have your interests represented.

Even if one accepts your argument that women are irrational, which I obviously don't, why should that in any way be relevant?

Because it's not in the nation's interest to have half the electorate consisting of largely irrational people. That lead us to electing irrational politicians and contributes to having irrational policy. People who make decisions based off there emotions usually don't do what's in their best interests.

Who are you to judge what is in anyone's best interest? Furthermore, who are you to judge what is irrational?

Do you believe there are also irrational men? Should we maybe test everyone to make sure that only "rational" people vote?

I'm not judging best interest I am merely noting that making a decision based off emotion tends to lead to poor results.

Of course there are some irrational men. But there are far more irrational women thean there are irrational men. Ideally we would want only rational people to vote but it would be hard to make that determination based off some sort of test that isn't time consuming. Allowing 50%+ of the voters to consist of irrational, emotionally driven people is in itself irrational.

What constitutes "good" or "bad" results is entirely subjective. Women (and men) vote for people and parties they think will represent their interests. That's the purpose of voting.

Yes, but again, look at history. If men had given women the right to make decisions, we'd still be in the stone age. Women are not risk-takers, to the extent that they have intersts, they are to achieve social status instead of being inventive or productive.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 07:31:28 PM »

Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air.
Send in the clowns.

Isn't it bliss?
Don't you approve?
One who keeps tearing around,
One who can't move.
Where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns.

Just when I'd stopped opening doors,
Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours,
Making my entrance again with my usual flair,
Sure of my lines,
No one is there.

Don't you love farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want.
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don't bother, they're here.

Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer,
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
And where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Well, maybe next year.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 07:32:45 PM »

Voting is an attempt to have your interests represented.

Even if one accepts your argument that women are irrational, which I obviously don't, why should that in any way be relevant?

Because it's not in the nation's interest to have half the electorate consisting of largely irrational people. That lead us to electing irrational politicians and contributes to having irrational policy. People who make decisions based off there emotions usually don't do what's in their best interests.

Who are you to judge what is in anyone's best interest? Furthermore, who are you to judge what is irrational?

Do you believe there are also irrational men? Should we maybe test everyone to make sure that only "rational" people vote?

I'm not judging best interest I am merely noting that making a decision based off emotion tends to lead to poor results.

Of course there are some irrational men. But there are far more irrational women thean there are irrational men. Ideally we would want only rational people to vote but it would be hard to make that determination based off some sort of test that isn't time consuming. Allowing 50%+ of the voters to consist of irrational, emotionally driven people is in itself irrational.

What constitutes "good" or "bad" results is entirely subjective. Women (and men) vote for people and parties they think will represent their interests. That's the purpose of voting.

Yes, but again, look at history. If men had given women the right to make decisions, we'd still be in the stone age. Women are not risk-takers, to the extent that they have intersts, they are to achieve social status instead of being inventive or productive.

That's because bigots like you ensure that women are raised from birth to be submissive and weak, while men are taught to be independent, aggressive, and free-thinking.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 07:35:26 PM »

Obviously. If banning irrational people from voting were desirable, it would make more sense for evangelical Christians to not be allowed to vote.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 07:37:27 PM »

The OP raises a more pressing question: should stupid people be allowed to vote?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »

The OP raises a more pressing question: should stupid people be allowed to vote?

Define stupid.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 07:41:05 PM »

Define stupid.

People who don't understand reality.  In other words, people who make threads like this.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 07:41:48 PM »

Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air.
Send in the clowns.

Isn't it bliss?
Don't you approve?
One who keeps tearing around,
One who can't move.
Where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns.

Just when I'd stopped opening doors,
Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours,
Making my entrance again with my usual flair,
Sure of my lines,
No one is there.

Don't you love farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want.
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don't bother, they're here.

Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer,
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
And where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Well, maybe next year.

This is not post boosting.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »

CJK,
please do us a favor and shoot yourself. Women seem to be smarter than you. So we should not let you vote, much less live. You have got to get your head out of your ass. And you know just cause you cant get a girlfriend does not mean you have to hate on them. It is just sour grapes with you. shame... you are dumb.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »

CJK,
please do us a favor and shoot yourself. Women seem to be smarter than you. So we should not let you vote, much less live. You have got to get your head out of your ass. And you know just cause you cant get a girlfriend does not mean you have to hate on them. It is just sour grapes with you. shame... you are dumb.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »

Yes, they should. This was a pointless question.
WillK

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »

Yes.

I'm rather alarmed you voted no.

Why? It's a fact that women are irrational. They make judgements based on emotions rather than reason based on factual information. It's not their fault, it's just the way they're designed.

Should CJK be allowed to vote?  I think not.  He is clearly irrational.
WillK

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 08:07:06 PM »

Just look at this forum. The vast majority of the people on here are men. Why? ...

If anything, this shows that men are irrational.  Its irrational for all of us to waste so much of our time jabbering nonsense with loons like you.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »

One penis, One vote. Wink
CJK
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »

That's because bigots like you ensure that women are raised from birth to be submissive and weak, while men are taught to be independent, aggressive, and free-thinking.

Actually when I was a kid the PC propaganda at school and on TV brainwashed me into thinking that women were just as good as men were. Through personal experience and the examination of the relevant science, I now know that that conclusion was incorrect.

Your position that men and women really aren't different is liberal creationism, pure and simple.
CJK
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »

CJK,

You really aren't disproving my point about women arguing based on emotion instead of logic.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »

CJK,

You really aren't disproving my point about women arguing based on emotion instead of logic.
Roll Eyes
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »

Actually when I was a kid the PC propaganda at school and on TV brainwashed me into thinking that women were just as good as men were. Through personal experience and the examination of the relevant science, I now know that that conclusion was incorrect.

Your position that men and women really aren't different is liberal creationism, pure and simple.

Women have all the same mental faculties as men.  The reason why women are on average more emotional than men (although there are exceptions) is because that is how women are socialized.  They are taught to be nurturing and sensitive from a very early age.  They are taught that the proper way for a woman to act is to be dainty and weak, and they are taught that their goal in life is to find a man and have children.  Independence and strength is rarely encouraged in girls as they grow up.  And these same things are also applied to boys, but in the opposite manner.

It is possible to raise a girl to be emotionally strong, independent, and aggressive.  Some women are raised in this way.  But it rarely happens.  It is not because women are programmed at birth to spend an hour fixing their hair in the morning.  It is because they are socialized a certain way.  And bigoted bullsh**t like what you're spouting is only making it worse.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2010, 09:46:51 PM »

CJK is a joke poster.

Hell, I bet he and some drinking buddies or work buddies of his in say Maine probably log onto here creating joke accounts just to get a rise out of us. You probably recognize them: Vanderblubb, Coburn2012, prophetman?

I bet this is probably some evil joke being pulled on us by a bunch of socks, or HUMANITY HAS REALLY JUST FAILED ITSELF.
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 09:53:39 PM »

Jesus Christ, people.  There are innate differences between women and men.  These differences are statistical, socialization exaggerates them to some degree, and any given woman is probably "manlier" than average in some aspects.  But even if this weren't the case -- if every woman systematically thought differently (in whatever aspect) from every man! -- why the hell would that cause you to argue against universal suffrage, especially if you're still letting the stupidest men vote?!

Anyone who argues against the existence of (I repeat, statistical) differences between women and men in order to argue for universal suffrage is shooting himself (on this forum, there's mostly no reason to try to use PC pronouns) in the foot by tying himself to empirical falsehoods.  The same goes (though to a less cut-and-dried extent) for racial differences.  It's unclear whether there are (statistical, naturally) innate differences between races (to the extent that races can even be defined) but it's also irrelevant because it's stupid and (in my view) immoral to be bigoted based on such differences even if they exist.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »

Forget the argument between nature and nurture. You may think rational and intelligent women are a rarity, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't think most black people I know should vote, but I still wouldn't deny all blacks the right to vote because I know plenty of them who are absolutely intelligent, rational, and well informed. I don't want most women I know voting, but I know some who are smarter and more rational than a lot of men.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 10:14:36 PM »

Yes, unless they're felons or legally decalred mentally retarded.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 10:17:17 PM »

No problem. Women can fake theirs.
useful idiot
YaBB God