Office of Vice President Duke (vote for The Truth: the new constitution)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:40:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Vice President Duke (vote for The Truth: the new constitution)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24
Author Topic: Office of Vice President Duke (vote for The Truth: the new constitution)  (Read 72127 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: October 14, 2011, 07:24:15 AM »

The VP candidate will be making a statement on the current debate in the Senate: 

Cabinet Flexibility Amendment

While I'm aware Duke doesn't support giving the Vice President cabinet duties, I myself do.  I believe that the Vice Presidency, of which I am running for, has been a political token election upon election.  During this campaign, and if in fact we are elected, making the Vice Presidency a vital role is one of my primary concerns. 

Recently, President Polnut through no fault of his own, has witnessed a cabinet crisis.  Vacancies exist in the most important position of all, GM.  SOIA and AG sat vacant for weeks, despite the fact that I know for certain that President Polnut contacted numerous candidates for said vacancies.  The fact is, until the game reaches another peak in activity, we may be unable to fill necessary positions.  Positions that are vital to the longevity of this game. 

Therefore, I support allowing multiple cabinet positions.  More importantly, I support allowing the VP to fulfill the duties of a cabinet member.  However, and this is extremely important, and a condition of my support for the amendment.  I DON'T believe that the VP should fulfill the role of GM, in any case.  It's clear this is a conflict of interests, and I sincerely hope the Senate considers this point.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #276 on: October 14, 2011, 09:03:31 AM »

I can say that after my experiences... I do support this position...overall.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #277 on: October 16, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »

We need to find a way to boost activity.  SoEA is by far the most stable position, but that is because there really are only a few people who like the job; and with one such person in office, turnover is minimal.  Something needs to be done with the other positions, which is why I fully support this Amendment, and throw the might power of the DoEA (aka lots of bribes) into getting it passed.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2011, 01:41:01 PM »

Anyone here think we should have a debate before we vote, or does it not matter?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2011, 09:29:33 PM »

Snowguy brought up an important issue that I'd like to address. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Every person should have a position in Atlasia.  Now, I'm not saying every person should be an elected or appointed official [Nor do I believe snowguy is].  Instead, I think the way for this to bear fruit is for New groups to form, such as The Fraternal Order of the Beaver, or Campaign for Growth.  These groups can form a political entity in themselves, allowing debate and ideas to take form outside of the legislature and Senate.  Furthermore, encouraging the formation of party caucuses has the potential to foster discussion of our political differences, while simultaneously involving more members in higher capacities.  The fact is, as we get more people involved, more avenues of legislation will arise, as well as more competitive elections.  Even those that are "retired" or newly registered can contribute to such groups.  By encouraging activity, commitment, and debate in such a way, we can increase interest in the game, without sacrificing the aspect of elections.

Unfortunately, I don't believe any legislative move can, or should be used to achieve these goals.  It is up to everyone of us who care about the survival of this game to contribute.  If the Senate and legislature continues to have a monopoly on political debate in this game, nothing will ever change.  I encourage everyone to find a way to contribute outside of their political offices, and outside of the voting booths.
This is exactly what I meant.  Everyone should be involved in the game beyond simply voting... And we need to find ways to make that happen without enforcing activity requirements that just drive people away.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #280 on: October 18, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2011, 01:09:47 PM by Senator Duke »

I am all for groups and such to form for people to be able to organize and the like. I had interpreted the "everyone should have a position in Atlasia" as being that we should all be in elected office, which at the time was not denied, I believe, when someone questioned the proposal. Tongue

We all need a place to go when we join. When I joined, in my younger more rebellious days, I immediately became part of the new right unification and Southeast crisis. Had that not happened, it is likely i would not have stuck around Atlasia because I would have grown bored.

The problem today is Atlasia is essentiality a 2 party system with few active high-powered officials and a bunch of "voters." We have movements that begin and end because those who begin them feel powerless to break the stranglehold the elites have on the game or the leadership just gives up.

Unfortunately, these organizations can only be achieved at the grassroots level. It is not something any administration can really do on their own. We cannot legislate activity. The beautiful thing about the period when I joined is there were so many dedicated, active and driven people involved in the game. Each day, we should have tons of threads, discussions and activity. That has dissipated. Just look at this election. People have accepted it as a foregone conclusion at the onset and no one even cares if we debate the issues or not. We hardly have any activity in Atlasia, even the last election had little debate and little discussion leading up to the vote. I don't blame people for feeling disenchanted.

If I am elected, I promise my administration will do all we can to encourage activity outside of just the senate threads. However, it will be up to the people to get it done. We cannot legislate it. We will need a President who is approachable, active, and one that understands what needs to be done and is not afraid to get his hands dirty, so to speak.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #281 on: October 19, 2011, 08:21:22 PM »

I want to say one final piece before the voting booth opens tomorrow night. I have enjoyed this campaign immensely. I feel Cincinnatus and I have presented a smart, succinct, workable platform to the Atlasia people. We want to tackle tax reform, revamp our immigration and transportation systems, protect our environment and implement a real energy plan that will free us from unsavory sources once and for all! We have also laid out a jobs plan that can get people back to work while encouraging the private sector to grow their payrolls.

But enough of the policy, because everyone knows most people hardly pay attention to it. The truth is, Atlasia is at a crossroads. For all my years here, I have not seen it in a state like it is today. No one can really be blamed for it. The game is as good as what we make of it. The biggest challenge for the next President will not be reforming education or pushing a new tax plan, it will be engaging the public in national conversations. We cannot sit idle by and allow the game to continue on this trajectory, or we will see things worsen.

The next President must be active, visible and communicating with the public as frequently as he can. The government cannot legislative activity, but we must allow and be welcoming of grassroots movements and caucuses. Everyone in the game must have a voice and they must have a president that will listen to their voice. The legislation of the game should not come exclusively from ideas of the few senators in the halls of the senate, but from everyone in Atlasia, from the one assemblyman to the member of the Defense Caucus. One of best things about the game during the time I became active was the wealth of diversity of ideas. There are not simply one or two lines of thinking. There were six and seven lines of thinking. We need a revival or we will slip into mediocrity, where elections are forgone conclusions and legislation is passed simply because it meshes with an ideology regardless of its quality.

On the eve of this election, I hope everyone considers their choices, and they are all good ones, in this election. But I hope many of you will settle on this old timer from the Southeast and a fresh face who has done a heck of a job in the Northeast Assembly and running his own party to boot.

Thanks to anyone who reads this, and may the best man in this election win!
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #282 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:07 PM »

Best of luck for the election.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #283 on: October 24, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »

Assuming the vote totals remain as we expect them to, I want to congratulate Snowguy on his victory. We put up a heck of a fight, but it looks like the votes will not fall in our favor. I gave it my all in what will likely be my final election! My campaign got the most votes any RPP ticket has ever gotten, and we ran a campaign with ideas, solutions and did it with class. I am proud of what we accomplished.

Thanks to all who supported me, congratulations to all the newly elected and reelected Senators, and good luck to our future administration!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #284 on: October 24, 2011, 10:16:06 PM »

Cry

That said, Snowguy will make an excellent President.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2011, 10:40:20 PM »

The DoFE still considers the race too-close-too-call
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2011, 11:29:33 PM »

SoFE has pre-certified Snowguy as the winner.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #287 on: October 25, 2011, 01:50:59 AM »

You ran a great campaign. It's a pity that neither of the two active campaigns (yours and Winfield's) prevailed.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #288 on: October 25, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »

You two ran a terrific campaign, and you should be proud of yourselves. It is a shame that you didnt win, I truely believe that you would have made a terrific President. I hope you will remain active friend!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #289 on: October 25, 2011, 01:04:45 PM »

You two ran a terrific campaign, and you should be proud of yourselves. It is a shame that you didnt win, I truely believe that you would have made a terrific President. I hope you will remain active friend!

I will as long as you will!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #290 on: October 25, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »

Y'all ran a great race. If there was anyone I'd prefer my ticket to lose to, it'd be Duke/Cincinattus. Or maybe the Duke/Bacon King write-in vote that Polnut made Tongue I do recall back in the day, Duke, you and I talked about such a unity ticket quite often. Hell, maybe one day!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #291 on: October 25, 2011, 11:19:16 PM »

Y'all ran a great race. If there was anyone I'd prefer my ticket to lose to, it'd be Duke/Cincinattus. Or maybe the Duke/Bacon King write-in vote that Polnut made Tongue I do recall back in the day, Duke, you and I talked about such a unity ticket quite often. Hell, maybe one day!

Hey, if that is ever possible, you know where to find me. Congrats on your victory. Don't let The People down! Wink

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »

I will be making a statement shortly. Questions, as always, will be welcome.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #293 on: November 28, 2011, 06:27:42 PM »

What does the statement concern?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #294 on: November 28, 2011, 06:42:52 PM »

Did Herman Cain touch you in a bad place?
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #295 on: November 28, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »

How do f**king magnets work?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #296 on: November 28, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »

My future

Did Herman Cain touch you in a bad place?

Yes, on my thigh.

Science.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #297 on: November 28, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »

Does it regard..... free snacks?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution