Teens choose Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:26:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Teens choose Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Teens choose Bush  (Read 2262 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2004, 11:09:43 AM »

Channel One news, a news service usually viewed by students from 6th-12th grade, chose Bush for President in their two-day vote. And it wasn't even close...

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 11:13:40 AM »

Channel One news, a news service usually viewed by students from 6th-12th grade, chose Bush for President in their two-day vote. And it wasn't even close...

This bodes well for Republicans in the future.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:19:00 PM »

It probably says more about the demographics of the schools that show Channel One news than anything else.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 12:43:40 PM »

What's Channel One news?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 01:01:48 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2004, 01:03:59 PM by BRTD »

Teens too young to vote almost always overwhelmingly chose incumbents. I remember some such poll in 1996 my class took part in that was something like Clinton 65/Dole 35

Great argument against lowering the voting age.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 01:06:08 PM »

Or they choose the guy with the better commercials, giving Ventura something like a 21-2-1 victory in 1998 (yes, back then class sizes were <30 =-O)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 01:07:15 PM »

It's a 15 minute "news" program that just glosses over everything and then bribes schools with free TV equipment for them to show it to students. In return they get more circulation and more advertisers. Conservatives hate it too though because they claim it has a liberal slant and once played music from Marilyn Manson in the background (I remember that also claiming Marilyn Manson was satanic, idiots, I don't even listen to his crap and I know he's not). It played at my high school.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 01:08:33 PM »

It's a 15 minute "news" program that just glosses over everything and then bribes schools with free TV equipment for them to show it to students. In return they get more circulation and more advertisers. Conservatives hate it too though because they claim it has a liberal slant and once played music from Marilyn Manson in the background (I remember that also claiming Marilyn Manson was satanic, idiots, I don't even listen to his crap and I know he's not). It played at my high school.

Hmm.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 01:09:57 PM »

Or they choose the guy with the better commercials, giving Ventura something like a 21-2-1 victory in 1998 (yes, back then class sizes were <30 =-O)

that reminds me of the only time I ever supported a Republican candidate. Luckily, I was in 7th grade at the time. I supported the Republican candidate for US House because he had much snappier commercials unlike the Democratic incumbent who just talked about how he held the farm economies, etc. the Republican hit hard with harsh attack ads. Everyone at my school LOVED the guy. Now my neighborhood voted something like 62% for Bush, but this was prior to 2000 and I think the Democrat narrowly won my area that election. Despite that, he had about 80% support in my school's mock election.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 01:16:29 PM »

I read somewhere that a lot of inner city schools didn't get it. In other words, I think it mostly goes to private schools.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 01:18:57 PM »

My school got it and it wasn't a private school (we all know what I think of private schools). But it was in a rather affluent area.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 01:31:52 PM »

My school gets it and were in the boonies
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 02:03:36 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2004, 02:07:31 PM by Kodratos »

It probably says more about the demographics of the schools that show Channel One news than anything else.

I believe that somewhere in the ballpark of 80% of American public schools carry it. I've attended four high schools in four different states and every one of those schools carried it. Two were in very liberal areas, one in a very conservative area, one in a moderate area. One was in a rich area, two in poor areas, one in a middle-class area.

I voted in it. My friends and I were watching it this morning and laughing our asses off. Bush won by over 15 points!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 02:05:33 PM »

Looks very similar to what will really happen.

Just make Delaware and Vermont blue, and make New Jersey red.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 02:14:47 PM »

I've never heard of it and I live in the Philly suburbs (where the teens are VERY pro-Kerry)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 03:14:37 PM »

I am part of the Teens for Kerry at my school. There is a ABC National Mock Teen Election next week nationwide.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 09:22:51 PM »

I've never heard of it and I live in the Philly suburbs (where the teens are VERY pro-Kerry)

Depends on what parts of the Philly burbs you live in. Here in NE Philly the teens have a pretty favorable opinion of Bush and in parts of Montco the situation is the same.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 09:31:13 PM »

Looks very similar to what will really happen.

Just make Delaware and Vermont blue, and make New Jersey red.

You actually STILL believe Bush will win Washington and New Jersey?
bushforever
bushwillwin

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 09:32:55 PM »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that electoral map actually happened come Nov. 2.
danwxman

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2004, 09:43:30 PM »

My high school (in ultra-Republican Central PA) carried it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2004, 09:46:48 PM »

As a teen in the second-largest school district in WA, I can firmly say that I have never heard of this news service, and it is not used in Seattle. Which could explain why WA is red.

As a teen from the largest co-ed Catholic high school on the East coast, I can firmly say that this news service does exist and is viewed by most in southeastern PA.

And I'm sure atleast one school in Seattle shows Channel One.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 10:22:22 PM »

My history is 30 kids large.  We took a survey, about 8 are pro-bush, 5 are pro-nader, 2 are anarchists, and 15 don't care.  When pressed the 15 don't cares went Kerry 12-3.

It seems kids are very economicaly liberal and pro-life and anti-gays.  Anyone agree?
bushforever
bushwillwin

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2004, 10:34:26 PM »

I would have to agree with that.  I must also say, anti-tax, like our parent's generation.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2004, 11:43:26 PM »

*adopts geezer persona*
Why, I remember when Channel One first appeared. I was a high school sophomore when my school - a mix of working class and middle class students - agreed to have it. And I was not impressed at all...

...except by a young whippersnapper named Anderson Cooper. He was the only real journalist there. He went to Burma, he went to Soviet Georgia, he went to Bosnia. And he went to these places when things were really nasty. I remember seeing him, years later, as an international reporter for ABC...I wonder what happened to him?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2004, 11:44:36 PM »

This bodes well for Republicans in the future.

Nah, it just means more Democrats are sneaking out to get a smoke during homeroom when Channel One is being shown.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies