The Atlasian Tribune - Mechaman's column
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:23:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Tribune - Mechaman's column
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: The Atlasian Tribune - Mechaman's column  (Read 25627 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2010, 06:36:44 AM »
« edited: February 16, 2010, 01:28:47 PM by Northeast Representative Antonio V »

Here is it, fellow Atlasians. After a long period of hesitation, I decided to inaugurate this new year by starting a newspaper. My purpose is to experiment a radically new method of editing, which stands in two principles. First of all, this newspaper will not be "my" newspaper : seven high-quality posters who are deeply involved in the game accepted my offer to contribute to it. Coming from different political sides, they all share a great attachment to Atlasia and the will to improve it. The second principle will be to guarantee a set frequency in publishments : every month, each contributor will publish one article at a precise date.
As I explained, this newspaper is mostly an experiment, and I don't know if it will work successfully. But it's certainly worth a try, and the growing animosity between Atlasians made necessary to find a common tribune for each side to friendly express their own point of view. I hope you will enjoy reading this newspaper, and that this initiative won't be useless.

Antonio V, editor in chief.

Calendar of publishments

This calendar will remain the same for every month.

- 1st of the month : My editorial
- 4th : Barnes' column
- 7th : Tmthforu's column
- 10th : Kalwejt's column
- 13th : Interview of an Atlasian
- 16th : Mechman's column
- 19th : Xahar's column
- 20th : AndrewCT's column
- 22th : Marokai's column
- 25th : Hashemite's column
- 28th : Analysis of electoral results and results of the newspaper's polls
- 30th : Vepres' column

Obviously, the Tribune is ready to recruit new contributors. Please contact me if you are interested. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 09:14:12 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2010, 11:54:05 AM by Northeast Representative Antonio V »

Editorial : Atlasian realignments

It is now clear to anyone that the previous month was a decisive one in the history of Atlasia, and that the political system has been deeply modified. I don't think to be excessive in calling it a realignment.

When I arrived to Atlasia, the game was experiencing one of the quietest period of its history. A stable three-party system, resulting to several events from October 2008 to April 2009, was finally set. Oppositions between pro-reform and anti-reform had calmed down, replaced by more classical left/right divides. And each party was, besides rivalries, able to quietly discuss with others and reach compromises (DWTL being a noteworthy exception). The strength of a centrist party, the Democratic Alliance, played a great role in guaranteeing this stability. However, this consensus spirit didn't prevent harsh political and ideological fights, and the discussions on controversial bills fed the richness of the political debate.

This time is over now. In an incredibly short time, a party (and mostly a man) totally changed the Atlasian political system. Only the future will tell us if this radical change will last, or if it will merely be an interlude. Here are the facts we all saw : An Atlasian, who already had the reputation of being controversial, started along with some other Atlasians a new party. During the period I mentioned, all the attempts to create a brand new party were unsuccessful, except for the LNF that embodies the legacy of a wing of the former SDP. The Second Libertarian Party of Atlasia, the Independent Conservative Party, the New Progressive Party, the Individual Rights Party... all miserably failed. The Atlasia Reform Coalition, instead, grew with an unseen rapidity, getting 10 members in the day of its creation. What is even more surprising is the main members of ARC were people who, even though being registered, didn't involve in the game at all before. Initially mocked by long-time involved Atlasians, the new party established itself with a surprising strength. The December 2009 Senate Election saw Mint, a totally unknown figure who posts extremely rarely, got a plurality of votes nationwide ! In the Northeast, where the ARC is the most strong, both its candidates reached the quota on the first round and the party got 36% of the votes. How can we explain such an upsurge ? For its partisans, this is an evidence of a massive popular movement. But how to explain that people suddenly feel so attracted by a new party coming from nothing ? It now appears evident that such "movement" can't be spontaneous, but was instead organized, and therefore controlled. Now the real question is : shouldn't we fear someone who has the power to create a "popular movement" alone ?

Now, it's time to have a look at the consequences of the realignment caused by ARC's birth. The party itself defines its platform as "pro-small government". What does "small-government" mean when one of the main parties, the PCP, is right-libertarian, the other one, the JCP, contains a strong left-libertarian wing. And what about "reform" when the DA and a great part of the LNF strongly advocates for it ? No, the real platform of the ARC hasn't anything to do with small government, neither with reform. Its only main and common characteristic is a rejection of a so-called "elite". What do they mean by "elite" ? Merely the experienced and long-serving Atlasian, people who built the game, who passed essential bills, who contributed to make it as it is. Sometimes ago, Hamilton started a thread asking "Is this the worst Senate ever ?" a Senate having people like Franzl, Afleitch, Marokai, Hashemite and Fritz was, according to Hamilton, "the worst ever" ! Everywhere, Hamilton and its allies feed a populist rhetoric, opposing "the people" to the evil reactionary elite. Recently, AndrewCT, Kalwejt and myself have been victims of the same rhetoric. Nobody already tried to ask what allowed Hamilton to consider itself as the official representative of the people, especially when "the cause of people" strangely fits with Hamilton's interests. Always, in every thing he does, Hamilton's strategy is based upon feeding or creating conflicts. Since the birth of the ARC, we saw a radicalization of Atlasia never seen in months. Every day, words become harsher and harsher between allies and opponents of Hamilton and the ARC. Continuously provoked, people like RowanBrandon, Marokai Blue, Kalwejt or myself often lose their composure. Insults are thrown by both sides.

Indeed, there is no more "left" and "right" in Atlasia : people from both right and left are now common allies to preserve the game from the hatred of one man. Good people of Atlasia must unite against Hamilton's ego trip, his sneaky method and the hatred he spread. Here stands the realignment of the Atlasian political system : when it comes to defend the game itself, and the reasons why we liked it, people who share nothing ideologically are able to unite. This union is starting to appear, and when people who for the moment remain "neutral" will realize the gravity of the current realignment, it will be the beginning of a great coalition. The "elite" as Hamilton likes to call it, is really an elite in the original sense of the word. They are the best citizens of Atlasia, the most honorable and intelligent : and now they are facing trickiness and stupidity. The outcome of this battle will determine the future of Atlasia.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:42:31 AM »

Clearer paragraphs please.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »

Like that ?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:57:08 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2010, 12:04:03 PM by GM Purple State »

Yes, thank you lol. The giant bloc form hurt my eyes.

EDIT: And for the record, I disagree with the article. If you look at the game today versus 3 months or 6 months or a year ago, almost nothing has changed drastically in terms of party alignment. The RPP may be weakened from it's high point, but the JCP and RPP are in the same spots they could have always expected to be in (the rapid RPP growth was never sustainable). The ARC is made up of disaffected RPP or independent members, for the most part, and they elect their own candidate. As opposed to if they joined back with the RPP and would simply have that party elect one more candidate than it currently has. So, what's the difference? This article hasn't convinced me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:59:55 AM »

Yeah, you're right. I will remember to do that next time. Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »

You could still go back and simply edit your article by adding more paragraph breaks for those yet to read it. Should take you all of two minutes. I mean, if you actually care about editorial excellance and all. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

EDIT: And for the record, I disagree with the article. If you look at the game today versus 3 months or 6 months or a year ago, almost nothing has changed drastically in terms of party alignment. The RPP may be weakened from it's high point, but the JCP and RPP are in the same spots they could have always expected to be in (the rapid RPP growth was never sustainable). The ARC is made up of disaffected RPP or independent members, for the most part, and they elect their own candidate. As opposed to if they joined back with the RPP and would simply have that party elect one more candidate than it currently has. So, what's the difference? This article hasn't convinced me.

Well, I see the realignment in the debates of last weeks : there have been no more ideological left/right divides, and instead the issues that are more and more evoked concern the game itself : zombie voting, party system, etc... Another example : what if the RPP, as it seems, doesn't run any candidate ? The race that seems to emerge will oppose two Atlasians considered as left-wing. Such thing would have been unthinkable in October.

You could still go back and simply edit your article by adding more paragraph breaks for those yet to read it. Should take you all of two minutes. I mean, if you actually care about editorial excellance and all. Tongue

Well, I already tried to fix it a bit, but remember that it's only my first newspaper ! Don't expect me to write like Hashemite, Xahar or Marokai. Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »

Excellent article Antonio. Your English is superb for a foreigner, as always.

In fact, your article made me see some similarities between the ARC and a wing of a Grand Old Party IRL Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »

Excellent article Antonio. Your English is superb for a foreigner, as always.

Thanks a lot. Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True, you just made me realize it. Tongue
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »

Can I has column?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »

I'd love to contribute as well
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »

Oh, well. I didn't think we'd have so much success...
This will need to radically reorganize the calendar. I'll let you know how we will organize it. Wink
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »

Looks great, I would love to have a column if possibly. Also, you could talk about me more. It would make Atlasia a better place.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 02:54:50 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2010, 02:56:58 AM by SoIA NiK »

Excellent! This is very well written and has a personal touch added in with good, interesting reporting.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 02:59:18 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2010, 10:10:11 AM by MasterJedi »

In my first entry I will address the hypocrisy of the secret police that were too busy burning down AASP headquarters to address the zombie hordes of the Atlasian Reform Coalition.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 05:36:51 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2010, 05:46:10 PM by God »

In my first entry I will address the hypocrisy of the secret police that were too busy burning down AASP headquarters to address the zombie hordes of the Atlasian Reform Coalition.

Thanks for proving my point MasterJedi.
For those of you wondering what MJ did he edited out the horrible hateful word "Retard" and replaced it with "Reform" while other posters on this website are currently getting away with saying the F word.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 06:13:16 PM »

For those of you wondering what MJ did he edited out the horrible hateful word "Retard" and replaced it with "Reform" while other posters on this website are currently getting away with saying the F word.

LOL And then he accuses us of unfairly criticzing him... Roll Eyes
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »

lol, harassment at its finest.

Good work, Jedi. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »

Do you have any reason to defend him, apart from the fact he's your friend ?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »

Do you have any reason to defend him, apart from the fact he's your friend ?

ah let me see....
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »

...YES, Antonio, I do.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »

As I explained to you in the PM I just sent, reported post with language innapropriate by forum rules. I can't read every post, if others report other issues of language I'll deal with them. Heck, Hamilton was brown nosing and reported it. Everyone knows my feelings on him, if I don't see it and it's reported I'll deal with it.

And please stop spamming the threads guys.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 06:49:28 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2010, 06:53:36 PM by MasterJedi »

As I explained to you in the PM I just sent, reported post with language innapropriate by forum rules. I can't read every post, if others report other issues of language I'll deal with them. Heck, Hamilton was brown nosing and reported it. Everyone knows my feelings on him, if I don't see it and it's reported I'll deal with it.

Alright fine Jedi, I will accept that in some region the "R" word is an evil vicious profanity on par with the "F" word.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 06:55:01 PM »

Alright fine Jedi, I will accept that in some region the "R" word is an evil vicious profanity on par with the "F" word.

That was actually pretty funny MJ, I can't lie.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies