Possible Tax Systems for the United States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:11:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Possible Tax Systems for the United States
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which tax system (or combination of tax systems) would you consider as ideal for the United States?
Progressive Income tax

Flat tax

Carbon tax

Capital Gains tax

Sales tax

Real Property Use tax

Inheritance tax

Value-Added/Goods & Services tax

Tariffs

Corporate tax

Excise tax

Expatriation tax

Poll tax

Wealth tax

Other (please elaborate)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Possible Tax Systems for the United States  (Read 4513 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »

Which tax systems (or combination of the above) at the national level do you regard as the most likely to improve the economic competitiveness of the United States, including increasing the savings rate, creating a climate more conducive to investment, as well as increasing revenues to fund our social programs?  

For reference purposes, here are some Wiki links:

Progressive income tax

Flat tax

Carbon tax

Capital Gains tax

Sales tax

Real Property Use tax

Inheritance tax

Value-Added/Goods & Services tax

Tariffs

Corporate tax

Excise tax

Expatriation tax

Poll tax

Wealth tax

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 04:21:02 PM »

Progressive Income Tax
Capital Gains Tax  (progressive)
Corporate Tax  (a progressive corporate tax)
Wealth Tax  (only for the very rich.. incomes <$1,000,000/year)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 02:23:46 AM »

The progressive tax structure has worked rather well, at least, back when it was actually a progressive income tax. It's been lowered to historically anemic levels, of course, and is little better than a flat tax at the moment when you think about it, but I'll take the progressive tax system with a bunch of others on the side, such as the inheritance tax, sales taxes, wealth taxes, carbon taxes, capital gains taxes, corporate taxes, and limited tariffs. It really takes a combination of most of them to get a good system, one tax won't carry it all.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »

Progressive Income tax    
Capital Gains tax         
Sales tax         
Real Property Use tax         
Inheritance tax     

I kind of like the system we have now. Needless to say, I would not be too fond of a wealth tax on what I have left after paying all those income taxes for a zillion years!     Smiley
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 04:41:26 PM »

Flat Tax
Tariffs
Corporate Tax
Excise Tax
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 05:55:12 PM »

Land value tax and consumption duties.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »

I take it you are a Veblen fan, who hated rents?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »

I'm a Georgist basically. Though I'd prefer there were no taxes and no state at all to be completely honest with you.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2010, 06:59:36 PM by Torie »

I'm a Georgist basically. Though I'd prefer there were no taxes and no state at all to be completely honest with you.

Ya, I mixed up Veblen and George. I meant George now that I did a wiki of both men.

Regarding the matter of doing away with "the state," that brings to mind one of my favorite quotes, this one from Hobbs:  "Living in a state of nature is at once brutish and short."  
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 06:59:15 PM »

Regarding the matter of doing away with "the state," that brings to mind one of my favorite quotes, this one from Hobbs:  "Living in a state of nature is at once brutish and short."   

Meh. I never said I didn't agree with governance, just not the sort we have now. Communes/unions would be a fine organisation for government.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 07:06:45 PM »

Regarding the matter of doing away with "the state," that brings to mind one of my favorite quotes, this one from Hobbs:  "Living in a state of nature is at once brutish and short."   

Meh. I never said I didn't agree with governance, just not the sort we have now. Communes/unions would be a fine organisation for government.

That reminds me of an observation I once made that most non-anarchists think that anarchists want to return to a "state of nature", even though few if any anarchists actually advocate such a thing.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 07:07:44 PM »

That reminds me of an observation I once made that most non-anarchists think that anarchists want to return to a "state of nature", even though few if any anarchists actually advocate such a thing.

Pretty much true apart from some green anarchists/anarcho-primitivists (who I have sympathies with to some extent)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 07:13:22 PM »

Pretty much true apart from some green anarchists/anarcho-primitivists (who I have sympathies with to some extent)

I find anarcho-primitivism rather silly since supporting a population living in a hunter-gatherer state would be very difficult. Even if people still used modern weapons like guns, I expect the maximum limit on the world's human population in that state would be less than 1% of the current actual population. Probably much less.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »

I find anarcho-primitivism rather silly since supporting a population living in a hunter-gatherer state would be very difficult. Even if people still used modern weapons like guns, I expect the maximum limit on the world's human population in that state would be less than 1% of the current actual population. Probably much less.

Yeah, I guess so. I support re-wilding on an individual basis, but I'm afraid that it's self defeating - human curiosity will simply cause the re-invention of everything eventually.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »

Flat Income Tax
Capital Gains (flat)
Corporate (only 2 or 3 brackets)
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 07:46:59 PM »

Progressive Income tax
Capital Gains tax (progressive, with rates depending on its proportion to income)
Sales Tax
Corporate Tax
Excise Tax
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »

What is the difference between primitivist anarchism, and main stream anarchism?  If the main stream wants private police forces and armies to maintain order, I suspect that will rapidly devolve into a state of nature, or more likely, a dictatorship, by the guy who hires the largest number of guns, and then makes alliances with other "war lords" to take over. You guys aren't serious about all of this are you, or are you? 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »

What is the difference between primitivist anarchism, and main stream anarchism?  If the main stream wants private police forces and armies to maintain order, I suspect that will rapidly devolve into a state of nature, or more likely, a dictatorship, by the guy who hires the largest number of guns, and then makes alliances with other "war lords" to take over. You guys aren't serious about all of this are you, or are you? 

I considered myself an anarchist for a time, but then I realized that it was basically unrealistic.

The idea though is that people will combine into voluntary government bodies & rely on private police forces, citizen militias, & mutual defense pacts with other government bodies for self-protection. Then again, you could have Bill Gates hire a mercenary army & overrun a large number of government bodies, so make of that what you will.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »

Corporate is the best.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 10:58:41 PM »

About two thirds of the corporate income tax is effectively a sales tax, in the sense that about that percentage of the corporate income  tax goes into higher prices for the goods and services produced, as a cost of doing business, since capital is looking at the after tax return. But if you like sales taxes, regressive though they are, then fine. Europe by the way, has lower corporate income taxes than the US in general, because the policy makers there understand that, among other things.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 11:06:47 PM »

Yeah but there's so many loopholes major corporations typically manage not to pay.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 01:12:42 AM »

About two thirds of the corporate income tax is effectively a sales tax, in the sense that about that percentage of the corporate income  tax goes into higher prices for the goods and services produced, as a cost of doing business, since capital is looking at the after tax return. But if you like sales taxes, regressive though they are, then fine. Europe by the way, has lower corporate income taxes than the US in general, because the policy makers there understand that, among other things.

bullsh**t economics
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 05:11:28 AM »

I agree.  I think the main form of taxation should be a progressive income tax.  Lower corporate taxes to a competitive level and all but eliminate taxes on small businesses.

Make it cheaper to start a business than it is to shove your wealth into a savings account...

I think that makes the most sense.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 06:34:51 PM »

Flat tax, sales tax, and (if needed) property tax.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 06:45:06 PM »

I'd settle for this, although I'd prefer no federal income tax. Also the current Expatriation Tax and (retaliatory) Tariffs.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies