What if Kaiser Wilhelm I died in 1878 instead of 1888?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:36:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What if Kaiser Wilhelm I died in 1878 instead of 1888?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Kaiser Wilhelm I died in 1878 instead of 1888?  (Read 1708 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 25, 2009, 09:41:22 PM »

I'm guessing WWI and WWII would have been prevented since Frederick III would be Kasier for 10 years instead of several months and thus would be able to push through all his liberal reforms. Thus, when Wilhelm II would come into power, the office of Kaiser would be largely ceremonial and he wouldn't be able to do squat even if he wanted to.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 11:49:29 PM »

Actually, Frederick I had made an agreement with Bismarck not to interfere in foreign policy.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 02:05:48 AM »

Actually, Frederick I had made an agreement with Bismarck not to interfere in foreign policy.

You mean Frederick III, right? Frederick I (of Prussia) was back in the 1600s or 1700s. Even if Frederick III made an agreement with Bismarck and he would have become Kaiser, he could have passed reforms decreasing the Kaiser's power and increasing the power of the Parliament (Reichstag) and the Chancellor. Thus when Wilhelm II would have eventually become Kaiser after Frederick's death (unless Frederick changes the succession laws) he won't be able to do much to shape policy, which might prevent World War I and World War II since a large part of why WWI occured was because Wilhelm II was very foolish in creating alliances and aggressive in foreign policy. There is a good chance that an elected German Parliament and Chancellor would have pursued a smarter foreign policy. In fact, while Chancellor, Bismarck pursued a much smarter foreign policy than Wilhelm II. Bismarck made sure that France and Russia would never sign an alliance since that alliance would surround Germany on both sides (which would make it much harder for Germany to win a war if there would ever be one, as there was in RL).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 04:35:30 AM »

The Emperor wasn't that powerful.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 01:50:38 AM »

He was powerful enough to shape German domestic and foreign policy. I read that the Reichstag could do very little without the German Kaiser's approval.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »

He was powerful enough to shape German domestic and foreign policy. I read that the Reichstag could do very little without the German Kaiser's approval.
Yes, but much the same is true vice versa.
Of course, replace Kaiser by Government (which was dependent only on the Kaiser, not on the Reichstag, though it would have been impossible to govern for long without some sort of working relationship with parties forming a government majority) - the distinction wasn't really all that meaningful after Bismarck was gone.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies