Cheney, Snow, and Frist received flu shots
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:05:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Cheney, Snow, and Frist received flu shots
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cheney, Snow, and Frist received flu shots  (Read 2172 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2004, 08:15:06 PM »

PITTSBURGH, United States (AFP) - Senator John Kerry (news - web sites)'s presidential campaign slammed Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites), a heart patient, over reports he had a flu shot, despite a shortage of the vaccine.

The campaign complained that Treasury Secretary John Snow and Senate Majority leader Bill Frist also had jabs, despite Bush's advice that the young and healthy did not need to get an injection.

"Once again, the Bush administration proves that it is the 'do as we say, not as we do' White House," the campaign said in a statement issued in Pittsburgh where Kerry was campaigning.

"The very week that (health) secretary (Tommy) Thompson is telling Americans to keep calm, Dick Cheney, John Snow and Bill Frist are getting flu shots."

"It is unfortunate that the Bush administration failed to do the work necessary to ensure that all Americans, including those most at risk, had been able to get shots as well."

Cheney would fit into the government's definition of those most vulnerable to a looming influenza epidemic as he has a long history of heart disease.

Bush last week suggested in the final presidential debate that the young and healthy forgo the annual shot amid a shortage of vaccine that Kerry has blamed on the president's management of the health system.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 08:50:11 PM »

Let's see Frist is a doctor, and would have a chance of transmitting it (I'm not sure if he still sees patients), Snow is over 65, Cheney has a heart condition.  All would be eligible under the guidelines.

Hummm!  I've got it, Kerry and Company are hoping all the Republicans get the flu so the can't go out to vote.  :-)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 09:55:43 PM »

Locally, they've been saying medical professionals wouldn't be getting flu shots (in general)

This is troublesome.

Frist doesn't still practice except in emergencies at the Capitol.

Cheney should certainly get one. Medical Professionals should get one before Senators or cabinet bureaucrats.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 10:02:53 PM »

Locally, they've been saying medical professionals wouldn't be getting flu shots (in general)

This is troublesome.

Frist doesn't still practice except in emergencies at the Capitol.

Cheney should certainly get one. Medical Professionals should get one before Senators or cabinet bureaucrats.

He does or did transplants; if he still does, Frist gets one.  Snow is over 65, so he gets one.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 10:24:30 PM »

Snow is old and Cheney is sick, so let them be.  Frist proves once again what a pansy little prick he is (although he's probably smart on this one) by being scared fo the flu.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:18:20 AM »

They're all eligible. Would you want a VP riddled with flu if something happened to the President?

Bush said he wasn't having it.
qwerty
ghwbush
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 11:00:55 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/20/health/main650222.shtml

Former President Bill Clinton is reported to have recieved a flu shot, which, given his recent health, is perfectly appropriate.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 11:06:37 AM »

Gee, Kerry has a point: Our leaders are no more important than the average citizen.  Therefore, we should stop spending BILLIONS for Secret Service protection for these Average Joe's.

In fact, Kerry should set the example by refusing Secret Service protection.

(Why doesn't anyone in the Bush administration know how to logically counter utterly stupid remarks from Kerry?)
elcorazon

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 11:17:37 AM »

Gee, Kerry has a point: Our leaders are no more important than the average citizen.  Therefore, we should stop spending BILLIONS for Secret Service protection for these Average Joe's.

(Why doesn't anyone in the Bush administration know how to logically counter utterly stupid remarks from Kerry?)
Maybe because Bush himself stupidly said he wasn't getting a flu shot because he was in such good health. 
The better question is why doesn't someone in Kerry's camp prepare him to properly respond to Bush's stupid assertion that he shouldn't get a flu shot.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 12:38:13 PM »

Maybe because Bush himself stupidly said he wasn't getting a flu shot because he was in such good health. 
The better question is why doesn't someone in Kerry's camp prepare him to properly respond to Bush's stupid assertion that he shouldn't get a flu shot.

Huh?  Just because Bush chooses not to get the shot, doesn't mean those who choose to get it, like Cheney and Frist, are in the wrong.
elcorazon

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 12:43:02 PM »

I'm agreeing with you that Kerry's comment was stupid and that Kerry's camp should have only criticized Bush's decision not to get the shot, not someone else's decision TO get the shot.  Truth is, Kerry just wants to keep the issue in the public eye because he sees Bush is vulnerable on it.  I'm not sure he's right about that however.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 12:55:45 PM »

I'm agreeing with you that Kerry's comment was stupid and that Kerry's camp should have only criticized Bush's decision not to get the shot, not someone else's decision TO get the shot.  Truth is, Kerry just wants to keep the issue in the public eye because he sees Bush is vulnerable on it.  I'm not sure he's right about that however.

Why would Kerry even waste time commenting on Bush's personal decision not to get the shot?  I don't view people as "stupid" for choosing not to get a flu shot if they are perfectly healthy, nor do I think it is wrong for the highly valuable, yet perfectly healthy, to a choose to go ahead and get the shot.

I simply wish Bush had someone sharp enough to point out the obvious in rebuttal of Kerry's dumb and petty comments.

Is Kerry next going to complain about Cheney taking a crap?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies