When Will The Last WWI and WWII Veterans Die, And At What Ages?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:35:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When Will The Last WWI and WWII Veterans Die, And At What Ages?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When Will The Last WWI and WWII Veterans Die, And At What Ages?  (Read 3177 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2009, 01:45:08 AM »

I'm not sure this thread belongs here, but oh well.

My guess:

WWI-2012-age 111.
WWII-2047-age 123.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:47:33 AM »

I'm not sure this thread belongs here anywhere
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 02:15:57 AM »

There are only 4 WWI veterans surviving (one of whom claims to be one but is unverified), 2 from the UK (including the unverified one), one from Canada, and one from the US. They range in age from 106 to 109. So there's a good chance next year will see the end of all of them.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 05:14:26 AM »

In World War II, there were quite a few HJs as young as 11 or 12 who fought in the last days of the war, so the last WWII veteran might not die until the 2050s. The last World War I veteran will probably die in next year or in 2011.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 06:07:07 AM »

Once they're gone we can forget the lessons of history and bring back the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  I miss that one.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »

The last to fight in the trenches (which is what 'really' matters) is already dead (111).
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 11:19:33 AM »

Once they're gone we can forget the lessons of history and bring back the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  I miss that one.

I'm half Hungarian.  Can I be Archduke?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:19:24 PM »

The last to fight in the trenches (which is what 'really' matters) is already dead (111).

I don't think that's what really matters. I think that the last surviving U.S. veteran of WWI (Frank Buckles) got sent to France and drove trucks and abmulances instead of fighting in the trenches. Thus, he was a non-combat veteran, but I would still consider him a veteran.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:19:46 PM »

I don't think that's what really matters.

Yes it is. If you think otherwise (and you're an American so, yeah, you presumably do) you don't understand the significance (culturally, socially, historically) of the First World War. The key point is the concept of the Front Generation. They are now all dead.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »

Maité Roël is only 26 and is a victim of the First World War. I'm sure she'll live beyond 2012.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »

Maité Roël is only 26 and is a victim of the First World War. I'm sure she'll live beyond 2012.

I was specifically talking about veterans of WWI, not victims. Someone could step on a landmine from WWI 100 years ago and be considered a victim.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »

I was specifically talking about veterans of WWI, not victims. Someone could step on a landmine from WWI 100 years ago and be considered a victim.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:42:31 PM »

Clearly that card is not hers. It is impossible for her to be a veteran of WWI if she was born 65 years after the war ended.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 09:25:59 PM »

Clearly that card is not hers. It is impossible for her to be a veteran of WWI if she was born 65 years after the war ended.

She is considered a veteran by her country's veterans' bureau.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »

Why? Wars, just like nations, don't have perfectly delineated borders.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »

Actually, they do. There are dates marking when a war started and ended. Thus only people who served in a warring nation's armed forces between 1914 and 1918 (or whenever a particular country entered that war--has to be between 1914 and 1918 for WWI htough) are considered veterans of that war.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 09:50:43 PM »

Which country is she from again, anyway? I think that her country's definition of WWI veteran is a bunch of cr*p, though.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 09:52:56 PM »

Which country is she from again, anyway? I think that her country's definition of WWI veteran is a bunch of cr*p, though.

Take it up with the Belgian government.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 09:53:24 PM »

Actually, they do. There are dates marking when a war started and ended. Thus only people who served in a warring nation's armed forces between 1914 and 1918 (or whenever a particular country entered that war--has to be between 1914 and 1918 for WWI htough) are considered veterans of that war.

Uh, dates are arbitrary too.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 09:54:15 PM »

This is both stupid and wrong, and part of the reason why the problem of, for instance, unexploded munitions in Vietnam still wreak havoc nigh-forty years on.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 01:45:19 AM »

World War 1: 2011 aged 110
World War 2: 2039 aged 112
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 02:16:44 AM »

You're probably about correct on WWI. I'm thinking the last WWI veteran will die between 2011 and 2013. In regards to WWII, I'm a bit more optimistic based on modern trends of increasing life expectancy that at least one veteran will live over 120, thus I picked 2047 for the date the last WWII veteran will die.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »

Somebody call States; he has a shot at the throne.

WWI: 2011

WWII:  2041
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 08:14:26 PM »

Somebody call States; he has a shot at the throne.

WWI: 2011

WWII:  2041

At what ages will they die, though? You just mentioned the years.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 02:04:41 AM »

My grandpa, who was a Staff Sgt., in the European theatre, died in 1975 at age 55, so he wouldn't be the last =/
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies