Don't like KRudd? The Liberal's Abbott is worse.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:53:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Don't like KRudd? The Liberal's Abbott is worse.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Don't like KRudd? The Liberal's Abbott is worse.  (Read 1792 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:13:46 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,1,26507226-5006301,00.html

All kids should study the bible at primary school as a compulsory part of the curriculum, says the mad monk.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:29:02 AM »

How long does Tony last?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:31:54 AM »

Probably until the next election, which means the ALP might get a majority in the Senate, although its unlikely.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 04:35:33 AM »

I guess this means the United States is not the only developed nation with prominent political figures calling for theocracy. Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:48:53 AM »

I guess this means the United States is not the only developed nation with prominent political figures calling for theocracy. Tongue

Nope, just the only country where the average person on the street agrees with them. Wink
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:09:49 AM »

I gather I would vote Green in the next election all things considered.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »

I don't know what I'd do Tongue That's why the Anglosphere needs David Cameron to give conservatives a sense of direction. You don't get that from Stephen Harper (though John Key does his best)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 11:54:37 PM »

I don't know what I'd do Tongue That's why the Anglosphere needs David Cameron to give conservatives a sense of direction. You don't get that from Stephen Harper (though John Key does his best)

Stephen Harper has a sense of direction. The direction is following the US president, which is awful.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 01:21:31 AM »

Based on what I know about him, I think Kevin Rudd is actually a pretty decent PM.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 07:09:51 AM »
« Edited: December 25, 2009, 07:11:41 AM by Tik »

Based on what I know about him, I think Kevin Rudd is actually a pretty decent PM.

Australians seem to all feel obligated to hate whoever they've voted into office anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 month afterwards. When another election occurs, they ask themselves whether or not they expect to hate the opponents more. Doesn't really matter if he or she is doing a decent job, an excellent job, or a terrible job.

Based on what I've heard out of Abbott, I'd hate him much sooner. Most people seem to share that sentiment that I've come into contact with.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 10:43:43 AM »

What are the basic complaints about Rudd from the Australian populace?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »

What are the basic complaints about Rudd from the Australian populace?

He travels overseas too much to try and increase his political clout and seem like a major player while neglecting problems back home. There was a big disappointment after he couldn't pass ETS legislation (or, alternately, that he wanted ETS legislation) earlier this year as well as the climate summit event just last week that ended in failure. There were also problems with some refugees coming in on boats, immigration policy in general. Plus he has this ridiculous idea that he can filter the internet for Australia. And other stuff. Plus, there are really a lot of petty personal style problems they have with him (uppity, talking complicated, elitist BS) which I myself don't see as being important enough to list, but make some Aussies dislike him.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 04:45:12 AM »
« Edited: December 26, 2009, 04:49:37 AM by Robespierre's Jaw »

Probably until the next election, which means the ALP might get a majority in the Senate, although its unlikely.

Due to the hapless state of the Liberals its certain the ALP will gain extra seats in the Senate, but what will prevent them from an outright majority would be the Greens. In height of the recent failure of the ETS (which was a bullshit initiative anyway), it will strengthen their catchcry of "tough action on climate change" so they should gain additional seats. If the current climate political climate remains throughout 2010, a liberal estimate should see the Greens making a gain of 3 or 4, potentially even higher if a double dissolution occurs, which is now unlikely in my opinion.

As for Abbott, he'll remain until the next election at least. The Liberals have nobody else, and Joe, the only likable Liberal left, won't challenge until they're in a position to truly fight the Labor Government, which won't be until the latter stages of the next decade if lucky.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 07:05:26 PM »

Australians seem to all feel obligated to hate whoever they've voted into office anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 month afterwards. When another election occurs, they ask themselves whether or not they expect to hate the opponents more. Doesn't really matter if he or she is doing a decent job, an excellent job, or a terrible job.

Isn't it like that worldwide?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 07:38:20 PM »

No, not quite. Being an incumbent in the U.S., especially at congressional level, is a reason for many people to vote for that person. You have to find a damn good reason to get them to vote against the incumbent, and even that often isn't sufficient.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 08:03:22 PM »

No, not quite. Being an incumbent in the U.S., especially at congressional level, is a reason for many people to vote for that person. You have to find a damn good reason to get them to vote against the incumbent, and even that often isn't sufficient.

Politics is much more localized in the United States than it is in many other countries, I find. If the United States were as wave-prone as, say, the United Kingdom, the House of Representatives would probably experience a regular turnover of at least 20-30% of its incumbents given the average American's undying hatred of Congress.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »

Politics is much more localized in the United States than it is in many other countries, I find. If the United States were as wave-prone as, say, the United Kingdom, the House of Representatives would probably experience a regular turnover of at least 20-30% of its incumbents given the average American's undying hatred of Congress.

Well unfairly drawn districts are probably the largest problem....but yeah, not only is politics much more localized, but it's also far more personal.

"Throw the bums out...but not my bum please!" Something like that.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 08:15:32 PM »

Well unfairly drawn districts are probably the largest problem....but yeah, not only is politics much more localized, but it's also far more personal.

"Throw the bums out...but not my bum please!" Something like that.

Gerrmyandering is a big factor, though even if it still existed I would expect to see a significant number of successful primary challenges if people really translated their antipathy for Congress into antipathy for their Congressman.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies