How Would A McCain Presidency Be Different?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:20:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  How Would A McCain Presidency Be Different?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Would A McCain Presidency Be Different?  (Read 959 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2009, 03:31:23 PM »

Assuming he won in 2008? Discuss.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »

Speaking as an admirer of McCain - McCain probably would have faced Riots at his inauguration, and allegations of Voter fraud/racism. John McCain would have let Detroit go bankrupt, and Michigan would immediately face a massive unemployment problem. He probably would take steps to correct it, but would not advocate social programs to fix the mess. Relations with Congress, (Presumably with around 55-56 Demcoratic Senators, had he won), would be impossibly difficult. I can not say for certain what type of "Stimulus package" would of occured. Health Care wouldn't be as discussed, and the plans would be much smaller and conservative then the ones Obama is advocating. The only major reform likely to happen would be Immigaration reform, as McCain has a history with the subject. Souter doesn't retire, Sotomayor is never appointed.

He would have immediately beefed up troops in Afghanistan, sending far more then 40,000. I tend to believe that he would be a more decisive "War President" then Obama, but would piss off the world on many, many occasions. I could imagine multilingual shouting matches occuring between McCain and Putin. I could see, of course, closer relations with France and a David Cameron less willing to work with the US. No Nobel Peace Prize, and Chicago certainly doesn't get the Olympic Games.

As for the cabinet, I'd imagine that McCain would surround himself with longtime friends and allies. Lieberman, already in trouble, would go to the State Department. Defense would stay with Bob Gates. Treasury and Attorney General are much less easy to call. I'd imagine that Treasury goes to a well-known Financial guru, one with heavy expierence in the field. I know, everyone, that Attorney General Fred Thompson immediately pops into mind when you dream of a McCain Administration. While it would be very cool, it would be highly unlikely. I'd imagine Deborah Wong Yang gets the position, as McCain would want to diversify his cabinet and not stock it with old white males. Giuliani could go to Homeland Security; but he probably isn't interested in the position.

Furthermore, I think that the world and Democrats would reach the breaking point. If the Democrats couldn't win '08, they might as well never run a candidate for President again. I expect widespread discontent on the days following the election, an a very mobilized left wing taking to the streets in ways not seen since LBJ & Nixon. The far right would probably get pissed at McCain as well.

Well, that's what I think would happen. Take what you want from it.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »

You'd see a Healthcare 'reform' bill like the current one in the senate but even more watered down, veto of a stimulus package by McCain, much more fighting in Afghanistan, less enthusiasm from President McCain on global warming, and a replica of the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill (with replicated response in the Senate.) You might also see some more tax cuts.

you'd probably see the uprising of a 'progressive party' with Boxer, Feingold, Franken, Sanders, Cantwell, Howard Dean, Jim Jeffords..
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »

Thank you for your input. Personally, I think that the economy would have been worse off now since his stimulus package would have been much smaller than Obama's. I also think that McCain would have gotten a similar healthcare bill passed and that McCain would get cap-and-trade passed. In foreign affairs, I think McCain would not cancel the missile defense shield and would bomb Iran's nuclear facilities to prevent them from building nukes. I think he would also strive to improve relations with our European allies and push for Middle East Peace, except he would put less pressure on Israel than Obama.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »

It wouldn't.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »

So you're saying Obama and McCain have the same policies. In a sense, you're right.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »

Despite the constant bashing of Obama in recent months, I think a McCain presidency would have been much worse. His victory over Obama and inauguration would definitely be met with riots, not to mention a serious meltdown of the Democratic Party. Due to the way Americans perceived GWB (whether you supported him or not), a Democratic victory was basically inevitable in 2008.

US relations throughout the world would have been much worse than they are now. Despite the several flaws of Obama, he is EXTREMELY popular outside of the United States and has really brought the United States' image out of the darkness. McCain definitely would have sent more troops to Afghanistan, which would have angered the majority of Americans. He definitely wouldn't receive the Nobel Peace Prize, either. You can forget any Global Warming Bill, either.

It's tough to say whether unemployment would be the same or higher, since I don't truly believe that this country has witnessed the effects of Obama's Stimulus Package yet. Overall, though, I think McCain and Palin would be seen as a continuation of Bush and Cheney, although somewhat watered-down. McCain's approval ratings would most likely be lower than where Obama's numbers are now, too. McCain just wasn't the right candidate for 2008. I think he sacrificed many of his principles to get the nomination. If he had beat out Bush in the 2000 Republican Primaries and been elected, I think he would have been quite successful.

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 11:19:36 PM »

McCain definitely would have sent more troops to Afghanistan, which would have angered the majority of Americans. 

Obama just did that right now--he sent 30,000 additional troops to Afghanistan. Or did you mean Iraq? Since the situation in Iraq is pretty stable, so I doubt McCain would have sent any addditional troops there.

In regards to McCain winning in 2000, I think that he would have been a better President than Bush (since he would not have went into Iraq and would have been more focused on being bipartisan). However, I think that he would have been considered a miserable failure (by the American people & in history) because the Wall Street Meltdown, financial crisis, and the resulting reserve reseccion would have been blamed on him (since McCain and Bush essentially advocated the same economic policy in 2000).
GLPman
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 11:30:57 AM »

McCain definitely would have sent more troops to Afghanistan, which would have angered the majority of Americans. 

Obama just did that right now--he sent 30,000 additional troops to Afghanistan. Or did you mean Iraq? Since the situation in Iraq is pretty stable, so I doubt McCain would have sent any addditional troops there.

In regards to McCain winning in 2000, I think that he would have been a better President than Bush (since he would not have went into Iraq and would have been more focused on being bipartisan). However, I think that he would have been considered a miserable failure (by the American people & in history) because the Wall Street Meltdown, financial crisis, and the resulting reserve reseccion would have been blamed on him (since McCain and Bush essentially advocated the same economic policy in 2000).

It's doubtful that he would have been considered a failure due to the recession. It certainly would have tarnished his presidency, but it wouldn't have broken it. A Democrat would no doubt be elected in 2008.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »

It's doubtful that he would have been considered a failure due to the recession. It certainly would have tarnished his presidency, but it wouldn't have broken it. A Democrat would no doubt be elected in 2008.

McCain wouldn't have been considered a failure due to the recession specifically, but due to the financial crisis and the collapse of the housing bubble. If it was just a regular recession (like Bush Sr.) with no nasty side effects, McCain would have ended up with a pretty good legacy (if he was President between 2001-2009).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies