Between a Rock and a Hard Place - The Quandry of JFK
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:43:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Between a Rock and a Hard Place - The Quandry of JFK
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Between a Rock and a Hard Place - The Quandry of JFK  (Read 2377 times)
Lahbas
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2009, 03:46:17 AM »
« edited: March 04, 2010, 10:29:20 PM by Jack Kemp »

The 1960 Presidential Election was the closest and most controversial election ever to be held in modern times, and as such would not be repeated until 1996. No one is sure what exactly did it, though many claim it was Eisenhower's vigorous campaigning during October and November. Nixon, who had lost the lead to Kennedy in the weeks leading up to Election Day, had managed, in regards to the choice of the people, to win. The Electoral College, however, was not so decisive. Despite victories in such close states as Missouri, Illinois, and California, Nixon failed by two votes to achieve the necessary majority. Knowing that he would not win in the House, Nixon asked that investigations begin in New Jersey, which Kennedy had managed to carry by only four thousand votes. Kennedy, meanwhile, was worried if he could count on Southern Support in the House of Representatives, despite his views on Civil Rights. Even conversations with Johnson provided little comfort, since he claimed that he "really only had control in the senate".

That was when he received a call on December 19th from the unpledged electors in Mississippi and Alabama. He was told that, if he promised not to interfere in the political realm of Civil Rights for his first term, they would cast their votes for him. However, if he tried to act upon it within that time, they would ensure to make it public that he had made a backroom deal to win the election. With the clock ticking, and the unnamed elector threatening to hang up, Kennedy finally agreed. He later commented that, “If I was given the option to take back any decision I had ever made throughout my life……….the one I made on the 19th of December in 1960 would be at the top of my list.”

Therefore, it was a great shock when, on January 6th, it was declared that Kennedy had won the election…..

John Kennedy (D-MA)/Lyndon Johnson (D-TX)     33,731,848    48.9% | 270 Electoral
Richard Nixon (R-CA)/Henry C. Lodge (R-MA)     34,597,293    50.2% | 268 Electoral
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »

No Comments?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 08:47:51 PM »

Great idea. In my recent TL Kennedy also won by maitaining Deep South, which really affected Democratic Party. Continue Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »

Next instalment, please
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 10:01:22 AM »

Please Continue this, but I'd suggest a better Title.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »

January 21st, 1961
The White House, Washington D.C.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy made his way down the main hall of the West Wing, wondering about what he was to expect on his first day as Commander in Chief. Many still did not accept him as such, saying he had stolen the presidency from Richard Nixon, but he had grown to accept that God had wanted him, and him alone, to win the election. After all, it wasn't like Nixon was going to win in the House. Still, it was unnerving; most opinion polls had him hovering around forty-five to fifty percent, a time when it was supposed to be in the sixties. Well, at least he hadn't made any major mistakes yet.

Continuing on his way, flanked by two Secret Service men (He still was not used to them. Their presence made him feel like an assassin was hidden behind every corner, just waiting for that precious moment where they could strike. Hopefully that moment would never come.) John noticed his secretary, Evelyn Lincoln, motioning him to her. While his guard took place in front of his office, he made his way to her desk.

"Yes......Ms. Lincoln.......what is it that you want from me today?"

"Mr. President.........I just want to tell you that the phone you asked to be installed is in......"

"Wait...........Ms. Lincoln........I did not ask for a phone to be installed in my office."

"Well.......that was just my thinking. I was about to turn those men away.......but then Senator Eastland came in and told me that you personally had requested a direct connection between his office and yours. If you want I can have....."

"No Ms. Lincoln......that's fine. I........actually approved that request. I'll......I'll be in my office if.......anything else comes up."

"Alright Mr. President."

Kennedy made his way into the Oval Office, but when the servicemen tried to make their way in, he blocked them.

"Listen......No one is going to try and kill me on my first day in office. Just wait out here until I leave."

With reluctant acknowledgement, the servicemen continued to stand guard in Evelyn's office, leaving the President to himself.

Why the hell had Senator Eastland installed a telephone in the Oval Office without his knowledge? He went to the desk and noted that it was very plain, almost exactly the same in appearance as the one next to it; however, someone had got the smart idea to slap a sticker of a Confederate Flag on its base ("Very funny, Mr. Eastland. Can't have that stay there though. Don't want the press to think I am a bigot.") Sitting in his chair, he was only beginning to relax before the phone rang. Eastland's phone. After a moment of hesitation, he answered.

"Hello?"

"Hello there Jack. How is the new office treating you?"

"Well........I haven't really been able to experience all of its benefits just yet........but I expect it to be very......."

"Enough of that. I called here to talk to you about our deal."

Jack now started to sweat. He had known that they would hold the deal over his head, but only over those areas they had previously discussed.

"Now Mr. Eastland........I thought that the deal we made was final.......and I......"

"No deal is ever final.......Mr. President........and I expect you to listen to every word that I say."

What the hell does he want?

"We southerners put you into that office......and we expect something back in return. You will do EVERYTHING we say........when we say it. Period."

"Now listen here Senator........I am the President........and I will do as I damn well......"

"You will DO as WE say.......or WE WILL DAMN WELL RUIN YOU! DO YOU HEAR ME JACK!"

Great, Kennedy thought, I've become a puppet. I am now nothing less than a puppet, and Senator James Eastland is the one pulling the strings.

After a long period of silence......

"You still there Jack?"

"Yes."

"You understand the situation?"

"Yes."

"Do you agree to our terms?"

Silence.

"Do you agree or not.......Mr. Kennedy?"

"Yes."

"Good.......I am glad that we could finish this with some degree of civility. Have yourself a good day Mr. President. Oh......and if you mention this to anyone......anyone at all.....we WILL know."

Upon hearing the dial tone on the other end, John hung the phone. What was he to do now? He decided not to dwell on it for the moment. He still had to be briefed on the global and domestic situation by his cabinet, and there were likely to be bills on his next in the next few hours that required his signature. Some opening day this was turning out to be.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:45:42 PM »

Please continue
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix