How musically conservative/liberal are you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 09:24:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How musically conservative/liberal are you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: How musically conservative/liberal are you?  (Read 5883 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 09:56:06 PM »

Honestly, save Coldplay, I don't really like any music made after 2002 or so.

Same, except for the Stones 2005 album, and the occasional pop song that gets stuck in my head for a few days.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 09:57:19 PM »

Does Moses listen to anything Felix wrote, I wonder.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 10:02:05 PM »

For what it's worth, I interpret "ultra-liberal" to mean genuine avant-gardism. After all, breaking the conventions of one genre is one thing. Breaking the conventions of all genres & doing so in a deliberate fashion is something else.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 11:21:08 PM »

probably conservative, all things considered. I pretty much only listen to music from 1963-present (mostly involving guitars) from pretty much only majority-white countries.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2009, 12:36:31 AM »

objective comparisons!!!!

Boris:

bgwah:

BRTD:

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:21 AM »

Pretty liberal actually. I like a variety of hard rock and indie stuff and much modern classical music. The pits is most of Mozart (a couple of his operas are tolerable and the 40th symphony is barely tolerable) and Haydn and "musac aka elevator music," and "whiney" Country and Western.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 02:54:40 AM »

I probably would be considered very conservative when it comes to music. I'll listen to a good amount of rap, hip hop, pop, and country. I also like some rock groups like the Dave Matthews and Maroon Five's of the world. Not much into indie rock, punk or emo or anything of that sort.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »

Probably centrist. I listen strictly to "heavy" music, but that can be as diverse as :wumpscut: or Angelwitch or Richard Wagner.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »

I seem to be very eclectic in my tastes. I listen to everything from modern electronic, to pre war jazz and blues, all varieties of classical, a shitload of experimental, folk, country, rap, metal, ethnic, etc. Whatever, so long as it hits me. I guess I'm 'ultra liberal'.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

Is Felix defined as a "moderate hero"?  Mendelssohn is overrated crap, honestly, IMHO.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2009, 01:10:19 PM »

Pretty liberal actually. I like a variety of hard rock and indie stuff and much modern classical music. The pits is most of Mozart (a couple of his operas are tolerable and the 40th symphony is barely tolerable) and Haydn and "musac aka elevator music," and "whiney" Country and Western.

Yea, Haydn is really intolerable, isn't he?  Scary thing is that all of the music written around his time is a whole lot worse.  Of course, neither is as bad as most music from about 1630-1680.

With Mozart - a lot of the stuff he wrote was crap.  Especially anything written before he discovered Bach.  That being said, the operas were the best things that he wrote, so I can't fully agree with you, because I do find them listenable and watchable.  Especially Don Giovanni, which is quite good.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »

Probably centrist. I listen strictly to "heavy" music, but that can be as diverse as :wumpscut: or Angelwitch or Richard Wagner.

Wagner can be described as a lot of things, but centrist is not one of them... Smiley
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »

^^^^
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2009, 04:10:11 PM »

Is Felix defined as a "moderate hero"?  Mendelssohn is overrated crap, honestly, IMHO.

lol

You should have seen/heard some of the stuff broadcast here on him this summer - basically implied that if you don't like him, you are a Nazi (an interesting variation on the 'Hitler ate salt' fallacy, I thought). I'm not a fan, but I do have a soft spot for the magnificently insane monster that is Elijah.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2009, 07:48:42 PM »

lol

You should have seen/heard some of the stuff broadcast here on him this summer - basically implied that if you don't like him, you are a Nazi (an interesting variation on the 'Hitler ate salt' fallacy, I thought). I'm not a fan, but I do have a soft spot for the magnificently insane monster that is Elijah.

There are a couple of ok numbers in there, but Handel was just so better at that type of thing IMHO (Handel = good pop music of the 18th century).

I like the fallacy - guess I fit in because I hate Mendelssohn and like Wagner (and R. Strauss too).  Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2009, 12:37:30 PM »

lol

There are a couple of ok numbers in there, but Handel was just so better at that type of thing IMHO (Handel = good pop music of the 18th century).

I like the fallacy - guess I fit in because I hate Mendelssohn and like Wagner (and R. Strauss too).  Tongue

My sentiments exactly.  Mendelssohn was considered the greatest genius of music of his age while alive, and it has all been downhill for him since. He has little depth and is not robust in the sense that one listen of his music is enough. A composer who is very robust is Hindemith. Have you ever listened to Nobilissima Visone?  R. Strauss is on the top ten list for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies