Islamic conference says homosexuality is -- okay?!?!?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:50:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Islamic conference says homosexuality is -- okay?!?!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Islamic conference says homosexuality is -- okay?!?!?  (Read 5456 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2009, 05:15:06 AM »
« edited: November 24, 2009, 05:16:49 AM by Scam of God »

http://www.365gay.com/news/islamic-conference-says-homosexuality-ok/

Wow.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

EDIT: More

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2009, 12:30:40 PM by Benwah »

Good to read such words from Islam, well, they are not the first ones, in France some already had such words but not a lot. Here, a big conference, in Indonesia...

Unluckily, the biggest group Hizbut Tahir, very developed in Indonesia, and also developped internationally, remains on rather conservative positions.

Though, still, good to read such things, actually.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 12:36:18 PM »

Uhhh, I'm all for homosexual rights, but.......what?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »

Doesn't change the fact that it's an evil, decadent and idiotic religion.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »

This is not surprising.  Many Islamic men are secretly homosexual, as evidenced by the disturbing looks one receives from these bearded creatures.

Oh yes, gay men like to rape women....
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 07:45:58 PM »

Explain, svp.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 05:08:05 PM »

What they probable meant was that because society viewed heterosexuality as the only norm for so long, that's where the resentment against homosexuality came from.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 07:08:05 PM »

The notion of sexual orientation is rather modern.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »

What they probable meant was that because society viewed heterosexuality as the only norm for so long, that's where the resentment against homosexuality came from.

Heterosexuality is the norm, how is that even debatable? I don't believe there's anything wrong with being abnormal in this case, but saying heterosexuality is a social construction is ridiculous. It's the method for procreation...
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 12:15:37 PM »

Heterosexuality is the norm, how is that even debatable? I don't believe there's anything wrong with being abnormal in this case, but saying heterosexuality is a social construction is ridiculous. It's the method for procreation...

Being the method for procreation doesn't necessary mean being the 'normal' way to love one another...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 01:42:55 PM »

Indonesia's relationship with homosexuality is an odd one, as there is a certain amount of traditional heterosexual transvestites.  "Moderate Muslim" anything there usually means a left-wing one unless it's one of those jackasses who think anyone who opposes terrorism is left-wing.   Where was I?  Anyway, Nahdlatul Ulama is a really big organization and I'm impressed.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 02:15:08 PM »

Being the method for procreation doesn't necessary mean being the 'normal' way to love one another...

"Normal" implies the majority, it has no moral implications. Biologically sexual activity is meant for procreation, and that certainly isn't a social construction. Again nothing wrong with being abnormal in this case. Being albino or having red hair is abnormal, but there's obviously nothing wrong with it. Having dark hair and eyes is normal, not a social construction...
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »

Explain, svp.

It encourages misogyny, war against non-believers, intolerance and terrorism. Not that Christianity or Hinduism are much better of course.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 04:10:56 PM »

These people are the Muslim equivalent of the Jesus Seminar. I wouldn't put much stock on their opinions as representative of what the average Muhammad believes.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 12:14:36 AM »

This the most intolerant statement I've seen or heard all day. Just because you disagree with the religion doesn't mean you can insult it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »

Ever heard of cell division? It's the method of procreation for the vast majority of living organisms. Clearly species that developped a male gender and heterosexuality are deeply abnorm - disturbed, even.

Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 10:17:19 AM »

The scholars at this conference should be applauded for questioning the dictates of religious extremism. Going against the grain is not easy to do, which is why traditionalist & nativist sentiments tend to be popular. After all, it's easy to say "my people are right & yours are wrong". It gains you immediate popularity with your neighbours, while angering folks who live much further away & might not be able to do much to hurt you. Of course, this discourages independent thought & promotes regional ideological homogeneity.

My hope is that with the advent of the internet, occurrences like this will become more common. Hopefully, more & more people will begin to reject tribalist collectivism & think of themselves as individuals co-existing with others in the same world, question the precepts that their ancestors held as being sacrosanct, & dare to be different from their neighbours. Obviously this will be longer in coming for more out of the way, less advanced areas, but never say never. As soon as you give up, you lose.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 02:37:15 PM »

Ever heard of cell division? It's the method of procreation for the vast majority of living organisms. Clearly species that developped a male gender and heterosexuality are deeply abnorm - disturbed, even.

Wink

Humans as a species are abnormal, you won't get an argument out of me there. People didn't get together and decide that women and men would be able to have babies together and men and other men wouldn't though. Saying homosexuality is something that should invoke punishment or scorn is a social construction, procreation isn't.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »

Wink

Humans as a species are abnormal, you won't get an argument out of me there. People didn't get together and decide that women and men would be able to have babies together and men and other men wouldn't though. Saying homosexuality is something that should invoke punishment or scorn is a social construction, procreation isn't.

Homosexuality isn't about procreation, by the fact.
titaniumtux
Rookie
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: 9.10, S: -5.13

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 10:40:28 PM »

MDR, this argument about whether heterosexuality is normal or not is amusing.

Heterosexuality certainly surpasses homosexuality in population proportions, and same with, say owning a white shirt vs. not owning any white shirts. One could argue that owning a white shirt is normal, because most people own a white shirt. Heterosexuality is normal, because most people are straight.

Heterosexuality is conventional. Without the assistance of scientific innovations, procreation can only occur during heterosexual intercourse. If everyone were gay at a given point in time (prior to artificial insemination), the world would not have a following generation. Is homosexuality abnormal? It's fairly unusual (~1% of the pop.), it's also unusual to not own any white shirts.

Islam is an interesting religion...one thing I can't stand about Islam though, is if they're so sure that their religion is true, they wouldn't disown their family members for leaving. Many people of other world religions (such as Christianity, Judaism, etc.) would never disown their family members for switching religions...what's to be afraid of if you're convinced you know the Truth??
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 10:42:33 PM »

These people are the Muslim equivalent of the Jesus Seminar. I wouldn't put much stock on their opinions as representative of what the average Muhammad believes.

Wow... had to look that one up.  Now rolling eyes and shaking head.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 10:52:47 PM »

Wink

Homosexuality isn't about procreation, by the fact.

Exactly, which is why it isn't normal. Biologically the purpose of sex is procreation....
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 11:23:43 PM »

They aren't talking about reproduction being a social construct but the idea of 'heterosexuality'; I would imagine the point follows the argument that ancient societies practiced (not just in the sense of being sexually active with) both - what we would call - heterosexuality and homosexuality and that people weren't simply classified as 'heterosexual' or 'homosexual', two notions which have become reified within society. What they mean by 'heterosexuality', then, is the disposition towards being attracted to someone of the opposite sex rather than the practice of having sex with them for the purpose of procreation - that's practicable for both those who are heterosexual or homosexual, it is just that those who are the former are more inclined to partake.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 02:46:33 AM »

This the most intolerant statement I've seen or heard all day. Just because you disagree with the religion doesn't mean you can insult it.
Actually, because this Message Board is located in the US (and the owner of it doesn't seem to want to kill free speech) he can say whatever he wants.  Everybody has a right to be wrong.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 04:15:26 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2009, 04:19:04 AM by ShadowOfTheWave »

I can insult religion in general by calling it juvenile and absurd. That's not a disagreement, it's an assessment.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies