Tommy Thompson for Senate, Governor...or Mayor of Elroy (population 1,500)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:11:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tommy Thompson for Senate, Governor...or Mayor of Elroy (population 1,500)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tommy Thompson for Senate, Governor...or Mayor of Elroy (population 1,500)  (Read 4130 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2009, 02:45:52 PM »

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/70337827.html

You know what, gotta give respek where it is due.  The third option makes the list pretty badass.  Wasn't he running for president in 2008?  I forget.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »

I'd put this in the 2010 forum but I don't want to have my space all crowded up by the robot.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:03:01 PM »

If Thompson could run for the Senate and win, I think it's time for Republicans to start thinking about taking over the Senate. Lincoln might switch sides, and even if she doesn't, she'll either be defeated or be a help to Republicans in the Senate. Would Lieberman side with Republicans over Democrats? Possibly. And realistically now, it is not mathematically impossible for us to win. We can have a 50 majority if Hoevan runs in ND and if we win NV, CO, MO, IL, OH, PA, AR, DE, CT, WI, NH, and NY(S). That'd give us 50 seats, and if Lieberman sided with us, 51. Either way, we'll at least make it unpleasant for Obama.

I hate to be overenthusiastic, but I actually think there could be a realistic shot of Republicans controlling both chambers after 2010, and I'm starting to think taking over the Senate might be easier.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:04:14 PM »

Lincoln's not going to switch sides, unless we're talking about the car and not Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas

The only reason to switch sides is if you think the other party likes you more than your own.  Republicans do not like Blanche Lincoln.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 03:05:39 PM »

But you have to admit, it'd probably help her re-election chances, which are looking pale now.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 03:09:08 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2009, 03:12:43 PM by Lunar »

But you have to admit, it'd probably help her re-election chances, which are looking pale now.

I don't have to admit that because that's frankly stupid and not true (smiley face).  She would lose the GOP primary in a heartbeat, she has 0 stature among the Republican party.

And you're talking about winning New York, seeping every state, having two politicians switching parties?  gettagrip son, TT isn't running for Senate Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 03:14:57 PM »

I'm not sure, Specter wasn't too popular among Democrats, yet I think he's still leading the primary there. Head-to-head polling would also help Lincoln's cause. I think her vs. a Generic Democrat in the general election would results in a comfortable win for her.
NY(S) is possible. Polling has Gillibrand trailing to Giuliani, and only leading Pataki by a point.
How do you seep a state? Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »

Yeah okay, wake me up again when someone without name recognition doesn't poll poorly in an early poll against extremely unlikely candidates with great name recognition, regardless of the partisan status of a state
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 05:29:58 PM »

If Thompson could run for the Senate and win, I think it's time for Republicans to start thinking about taking over the Senate. Lincoln might switch sides, and even if she doesn't, she'll either be defeated or be a help to Republicans in the Senate. Would Lieberman side with Republicans over Democrats? Possibly. And realistically now, it is not mathematically impossible for us to win. We can have a 50 majority if Hoevan runs in ND and if we win NV, CO, MO, IL, OH, PA, AR, DE, CT, WI, NH, and NY(S). That'd give us 50 seats, and if Lieberman sided with us, 51. Either way, we'll at least make it unpleasant for Obama.

I hate to be overenthusiastic, but I actually think there could be a realistic shot of Republicans controlling both chambers after 2010, and I'm starting to think taking over the Senate might be easier.

Why would a Liberal (fake moderate hero)  switch sides?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 05:40:53 PM »

I'm not sure, Specter wasn't too popular among Democrats, yet I think he's still leading the primary there. Head-to-head polling would also help Lincoln's cause. I think her vs. a Generic Democrat in the general election would results in a comfortable win for her.
NY(S) is possible. Polling has Gillibrand trailing to Giuliani, and only leading Pataki by a point.
How do you seep a state? Smiley

What is it with you? Lincoln is not even a social conservative that I know of. She is pro-AMnesty, Bill Clinton style Democrat. Mark Pryor is much more Conservative then she is and he definately won't change sides.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Blunt is horrible in MO and they only way we win it is if both Cap N Trade and Immigration Reform(Amnesty) are brought up and A Go down in flames with the Dems comming out looking like the bad guys for proposing it or B. Them passing over intense opposition. Hoeven isn't going to run for the Senate against Dorgan. The only one he would dream of challenging is Conrad in 2012. The GOP would be lucky to come out with just 45 seats. That gives them more influence in the SEnate and puts them within striking range of seizing the Senate in either 2012 or 2014.

As for New York, Rudy will more likely run for Governor then SEnator if for anything and George Pataki isn't going to run. If he does his piss poor third term will be dragged back in front of his face by the Schumer machine(which is running Gilibrand's campaign). Also Schumer himself is up in 2010 and that means that there will be a prominent Dem running up a 65% to 70% victory. The GOP improvements in the NYC suburbs, while still good, are still an abysmall performance compared to 10 to 15 years ago. Even if there is a substantial turn around in Suburban NYC that still doesn't change the fact that the Upstate area is bleeding population expescially the Southern Tier which is the most Republican area of the state. And the Upstate in general where the GOP used to rack up double digit margins as part of there electoral math, to wipe out the NYC Dem advantage, is now 50-50 marginal. IT will get harder and harder to win elections statewide if its still possible at all.

Finally if that GOP won that many seats in one year they would get there asses whopped across the country in 2016 based on the map alone. The best opportunities for big seat gains are 2012 and 2014.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »

Blanche Lincoln is scum.

If your gonna support Arkansas Dems, support Gov. Beebe and Sen. Pryor (I support both 100% of the time)

Beebe 2010!

Insert GOP Nominee for senate 2010!
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 08:29:37 PM »