Do you believe Mormons are Christians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:02:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you believe Mormons are Christians?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints "Christians"?
Yes

No

I Don't Know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Do you believe Mormons are Christians?  (Read 5214 times)
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »

?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:16:39 PM »

I don't see why not. They believe in the divinity of Christ as far as I know.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:13:52 PM »

They worship Jesus Christ, therefore they are Christian. Same as Catholics. Of course Protestants will try to say the term applies to them only, but they are jackasses.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:19:28 PM »

No they aren't.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »

No, they may claim to believe in Jesus Christ, but in their mind you have to be a Mormon in order to go to heaven, plus they added a third testament to the Bible "The Book of Mormon", which is in direct violation of Revelation 22:18, "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book.  If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the direct plagues that are written in this book:"  They have their reward coming to them, and it won't be pretty.

We, as Christians, believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven and that without Him nobody gets to heaven.  You don't have to be a member of any particular domination, just believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins and that He is risen from the dead.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=70321.0
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:54:21 PM »

I don't see why not. They believe in the divinity of Christ as far as I know.

This. 

Then again, I think it goes without saying that it's easy those of us without religion to believe that.

All of my Christian friends from when I was younger all fervently believe that Mormons are a cult.  I've heard them say the same thing about Catholics.  One of them called Muslims "infidels."  And, of course, atheists are traitors.

I'm happy that I don't speak to them anymore.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 11:02:11 PM »

plus they added a third testament to the Bible "The Book of Mormon".

Rest of the post is great, but regarding this... nobody would consider Christianity a part of Judaism, and likewise, I believe it's incorrect to consider Mormons a part of Christianity.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 09:21:15 AM »

No, they may claim to believe in Jesus Christ, but in their mind you have to be a Mormon in order to go to heaven, plus they added a third testament to the Bible "The Book of Mormon", which is in direct violation of Revelation 22:18, "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book.  If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the direct plagues that are written in this book:"  They have their reward coming to them, and it won't be pretty.

We, as Christians, believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven and that without Him nobody gets to heaven.  You don't have to be a member of any particular domination, just believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins and that He is risen from the dead.

My fundamentalist teachers tought me the same thing, but I thought the books of the Bible were written individually. Why would John refer to the entire Bible while he was writing Revelation? It specifically mentions prophecy, so couldn't that be referring to just Revelation in particular? Not trying to argue, just asking a question.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 11:10:44 AM »

My fundamentalist teachers tought me the same thing, but I thought the books of the Bible were written individually. Why would John refer to the entire Bible while he was writing Revelation? It specifically mentions prophecy, so couldn't that be referring to just Revelation in particular? Not trying to argue, just asking a question.

Shadow is right.  'Do not add to these things' appears to refer to the text of Revelation itself.  The Bible, such as it is, did not even exist when it was written circa 100-120 A.D.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 12:04:18 PM »

A better question is whether one believes Christians are Christians?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 12:26:01 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2009, 12:27:40 PM by Lunar »

I treat Christianity like party affiliation, if you say you're a Christian, you're one as far as I'm concerned.   I'm certainly not qualified to determine who is in violation of my non-existent interpretation of Biblical scriptures, and, frankly, a lot of Mormons are really nice people, and a lot of Protestants and Catholics and others aren't, so if I had to guess who was going to hell and who wasn't I'd say the bad people are and the good people aren't,
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 06:49:10 PM »

It's a definitional matter, and I don't have a clear definition of Christianity. I would exclude Mormons, though; I exclude Gnostics and Arians, and Mormons are still less orthodox.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 08:12:26 PM »

The Bible was penned by 39 individuals, but authored by God.  All Scripture is God-Breathed.  Thus, the individuals wrote what God showed them.  That includes both the Old and New Testaments.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »

nobody would consider Christianity a part of Judaism

It obviously is.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:53:48 AM »

The Bible was penned by 39 individuals, but authored by God.  All Scripture is God-Breathed.  Thus, the individuals wrote what God showed them.  That includes both the Old and New Testaments.

That answers nothing. Why are you so sure 'god' is referring to the entire Bible as 'this book' rather than just Revelation? Because it fits your point of view? You do realize that Revelation was placed at the end of the Bible by humans, correct? Since it specifically mentions prophecy, does that mean it's ok to add things to the philosophy of the Bible? To the laws?

I am 99.9% sure that even if the words were written by a supreme being, it is in reference to the 'book' of Revelation. Not the 'book' of the Bible.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »

Here's why they aren't:

If you were baptized in one Christian denomination and wish to convert to another, you don't need to be rebaptized. Churches will accept the other denom's baptism as a valid Christian baptism. However no Christian denomination accepts Mormon baptisms as valid. Any Mormon wishing to convert to the ELCA would have to be rebaptized. Any baptized Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, etc. would not. Furthermore anyone wishing to convert to Mormonism who was baptized in a Christian denomination would have to be rebaptized as well.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 12:36:50 PM »

Yes
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 07:06:09 PM »

Here's why they aren't:

If you were baptized in one Christian denomination and wish to convert to another, you don't need to be rebaptized. Churches will accept the other denom's baptism as a valid Christian baptism. However no Christian denomination accepts Mormon baptisms as valid. Any Mormon wishing to convert to the ELCA would have to be rebaptized. Any baptized Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, etc. would not. Furthermore anyone wishing to convert to Mormonism who was baptized in a Christian denomination would have to be rebaptized as well.

Is that the definition of Christianity? Everyone has to use the Visa of baptisms?  Because Mormons require American Express they are no longer Christian?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 02:34:14 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2009, 02:46:40 AM by useful idiot »

By the standards of traditional "creed-based" Christianity, no. As a Mormon(by membership anyway) I don't see that as a bad thing at all. People think that saying Mormons aren't Christians is an insult. My response is: so what? If the Protestants or Catholics I grew up around were Christian, then that's one of the last things I'd want to be...
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 01:22:05 PM »

With the exception of 38 individuals isint that pretty much how they say the book of mormom came to be?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 10:26:25 PM »

As far as I am concerned, yes. And don't they consider themselves to be Christian? Why isn't that good enough? The bigotry directed towards Mormons is astounding. And they are usually the nicest of people.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 12:23:10 AM »

Here's why they aren't:

i see what you're saying, but "baptism" doesn't make one go to heaven or not go to heaven.  Baptism is a mere public profession that one has come to faith in Jesus Christ, which is why you're correct that other Christian denominations accept one another's baptism, whether by immersion or by sprinkling.  Unless Mormons have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior, they cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.  That rule applies to every single person on the face of the earth, no matter what persuasion or ethnicity they are of.  Your good works cannot save you, they are only a by-product that you have been saved.  That's where Mormons get it kind of backward.  They are, for the most part, very good and very moral people and very respectable in society, but that doesn't save them.

So, in reality, the big question is not whether a certain group of people are Christians, its whether a person has accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 12:45:41 AM »

Vast majority of people on earth are going to hell, eh BushOklahoma?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies