Does Health Care Covering Abortion Save Money?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:11:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Does Health Care Covering Abortion Save Money?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Health Care Covering Abortion Save Money?  (Read 727 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:48:25 AM »

It's cheaper than prenatal care and maternity leave, right?  Could it be that the insurance industry and corporate America is behind the Democrats on the Stupak amendment?

I know no one is allowed to talk about moral issues in terms of finances, but if we're allowed to do it with the death penalty....?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:58:41 AM »

Well, that is 240 Congressmen who should never claim to be fiscally conservative again.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 04:32:35 AM »

Well, that is 240 Congressmen who should never claim to be fiscally conservative again.

Plenty of politicians with previously 100% pro-choice voting records voted for it, of both parties.  They're just afraid of being accused that they're for federally funded abortions during their reelection campaigns. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 06:30:58 AM »

It's cheaper than prenatal care and maternity leave, right?

Why don't you just kill everyone over 65, everyone with a chronic illness and everyone who lives in a poor and/or industrial area? All of your healthcare cost problems solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 06:52:36 AM »

It's cheaper than prenatal care and maternity leave, right?

Why don't you just kill everyone over 65, everyone with a chronic illness and everyone who lives in a poor and/or industrial area? All of your healthcare cost problems solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I didn't say that this was an appropriate way to address the entire debate, it was an open-ended question about a controversial aspect of the abortion bill that I don't think either party or the media wants to touch with a hundred foot poll.  Additionally, as corporations have an extreme influence in our political sphere, I'd be interested to find out if they're secretly opposing Stupak...hell, the insurance industry may support Stupak even if it lowers their profits because the abortion issue still has the potential to blow up the entire health care reform movement.  I enjoy the snarky comments, I'm prone to do so myself, but I want to make clear why I posted this thread.

And , actually, yes, I think we should be discussing how much money we spent on senior health care.  

Obviously I'm not advocating that we no longer treat bills with a basic sense of morality.

I'm not a pro-choice ideologue...I have a lot of sympathy for the pro-life arguments, actually, I doubt I could win a debate on the abortion issue.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »

Does a lack of insurance coverage for abortion ever seriously lead a woman to continue with the pregnancy? She'd still end up having to pay more in co-pays than it would cost to have the abortion...I really don't think this is an issue.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 12:36:29 PM »

I don't think there is any question, that strictly from a financial standpoint, terminating a pregnancy is less expensive (and not just in health care) than what it costs to raise and unwanted child.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 02:58:40 PM »

I don't think there is any question, that strictly from a financial standpoint, terminating a pregnancy is less expensive (and not just in health care) than what it costs to raise and unwanted child.

Of course, of course, I don't think anyone's saying that kids are a good financial investment Smiley

But from the perspective of of the insurance agencies and from, say, Chamber of Commerce, do they care?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:01:41 PM »

Does a lack of insurance coverage for abortion ever seriously lead a woman to continue with the pregnancy? She'd still end up having to pay more in co-pays than it would cost to have the abortion...I really don't think this is an issue.

Good point, and groups like NOW additionally would probably argue that even if it it cost $10k to have one, people would just find other means as well.

I'm not sure then.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 03:09:37 PM »

Of course, of course, I don't think anyone's saying that kids are a good financial investment Smiley

But from the perspective of of the insurance agencies and from, say, Chamber of Commerce, do they care?

Anyone with a financial stake in health care would "care", but the subject is so emotional and nearly taboo that neither will come out on either side of the amendment
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies