Opinion of Huey Long?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 04:04:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Huey Long?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Opinion of Huey Long?  (Read 6678 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2009, 02:10:18 AM »

What do you guys think of Huey Long, the "Kingfish" of New Orleans? What do you think of his ideas and platforms--such as the "Share Our Wealth" program he campaigned on?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 02:14:32 AM »

A typical demagogue who used fiery populist rhetoric to get the masses to rally behind him and create a sort of personality cult  that allowed him to seize more and more power.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 02:36:27 AM »

What a coincidence, I had a wikipedia entry up on him right now.

Here's my opinion, greatly summed up by Libertas, except for the "typical" part.l

Huey Long was a man of great ambition, one who used his personality to overcome any obstacle and help support his far-reaching populist goals. While I may disagree with the man who FDR called “one of the two most dangerous men in America.” (The other was Gen. Douglas MacArthur), You cannot deny that he has a flair that you are not fascinated with. The man was interesting, one for the ages, despite his authoritarianism.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 02:45:46 AM »

Here's my opinion, greatly summed up by Libertas, except for the "typical" part.l

Huey Long was a man of great ambition, one who used his personality to overcome any obstacle and help support his far-reaching populist goals. While I may disagree with the man who FDR called “one of the two most dangerous men in America.” (The other was Gen. Douglas MacArthur), You cannot deny that he has a flair that you are not fascinated with. The man was interesting, one for the ages, despite his authoritarianism.
Long's opposition to FDR was definitely one of his redeeming features.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 02:53:30 AM »

I find the former more dangerous then the latter, actually. While I'm not a big fan of FDR, I hesitate to think of a Huey Long presidency. I feel FDR was certainly needed in command during the 1933-1945 period, even if his many of his economic practices should never be put in place in modern day society. Perhaps I should write about it in a timeline.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 02:55:16 AM »

I find the former more dangerous then the latter, actually. While I'm not a big fan of FDR, I hesitate to think of a Huey Long presidency. I feel FDR was certainly needed in command during the 1933-1945 period, even if his many of his economic practices should never be put in place in modern day society. Perhaps I should write about it in a timeline.
Why? FDR's economic policies are what made the depression last for so long in the first place.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 03:06:34 AM »

Why? FDR's economic policies are what made the depression last for so long in the first place.

But he gave the people something to hope for, it does not matter if he suceeded or not. His voice was calm and reassuring to the American people when it counted. In a world where a choice of two extremes - Fascism and Communism - he was greatly needed. If FDR was killed, we'd have John Nance Garner, a far less charismatic and dynamic man. He would have been overwhelmed. The Republicans were lacking in leadership until Robert Taft and Thomas Dewey emerged, so they could never have been President when it counted. I greatly to object to many of his policies, especially "Court packing", but I cannot find fault with his temperament.

For war leadership, I feel that he ran a smooth and effective military operation, even if I feel he sold out a lot to Stalin, there was nothing he could really do about it.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 03:26:48 AM »

But he gave the people something to hope for, it does not matter if he suceeded or not. His voice was calm and reassuring to the American people when it counted. In a world where a choice of two extremes - Fascism and Communism - he was greatly needed. If FDR was killed, we'd have John Nance Garner, a far less charismatic and dynamic man. He would have been overwhelmed. The Republicans were lacking in leadership until Robert Taft and Thomas Dewey emerged, so they could never have been President when it counted. I greatly to object to many of his policies, especially "Court packing", but I cannot find fault with his temperament.
So he was basically little different from Hitler. A charismatic leader who rose to power on the wave of malcontent with the state of the country in the wake of Herbert Hoover and the 1929 crash. His policies were destructive domestically, but covered it up with the artificial economic boom brought about by warfare.

It is a real damn shame that Robert Taft never even got the chance to run for president in a general election.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Were FDR a good leader, the U.S. would not have had to enter that war in the first place.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
--Sun Tzu
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 10:29:47 AM »

A FF who may have wanted to go a little too far.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 10:46:59 AM »

the very definition of HP
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »

A HP who did want to go way too far.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »

As populists often are.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 01:51:43 PM »

So he was basically little different from Hitler. A charismatic leader who rose to power on the wave of malcontent with the state of the country in the wake of Herbert Hoover and the 1929 crash. His policies were destructive domestically, but covered it up with the artificial economic boom brought about by warfare.

It is a real damn shame that Robert Taft never even got the chance to run for president in a general election.

Were FDR a good leader, the U.S. would not have had to enter that war in the first place.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
--Sun Tzu

I'm not defending his policies, but the man was needed in his time. He certainly was not useless, and he helped the nation recover psychologically, if not domestically.

I'm a bit sketchy on your second point. By that logic, many historical leaders were awful leaders.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »

--Sun Tzu

I'm not defending his policies, but the man was needed in his time. He certainly was not useless, and he helped the nation recover psychologically, if not domestically.
I think that's a rather vitalistic opinion without much of a foundation in reason. FDR did incredible harm to this country over his four destructive terms. It's the same logic that would say that Hitler and Stalin were needed in their times.

And? A good leader is a rare leader.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »

HP
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »

Better than any current major politician from Louisiana, but that's not saying much.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 03:12:21 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2009, 03:14:01 PM by Rob »

Huge Freedom Fighter. William Manchester:

Elected, he broke the power of the corporations. Louisiana's poll taxes were abolished, new taxes were levied on business, a debt moratorium was declared, the poor were exempted from the general property tax, textbooks were free, children rode in school buses. In three years he gave the state 2,500 miles of paved roads, 6,000 miles of gravel roads...

at his new night schools 175,000 illiterate adults were taught to read and write. He was the only southern governor to treat blacks as equals; when the head of the Ku Klux Klan threatened to come into the state and campaign against him, Huey told reporters, "Quote me as saying that that Imperial bastard will never set foot in Louisiana,, and that when I call him a son of a bitch I am not using profanity, but am referring to the circumstances of his birth."

It's no wonder that conservatives hate him.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »

FDR did incredible harm to this country over his four destructive terms. It's the same logic that would say that Hitler and Stalin were needed in their times.

FDR=Hitler?

lol
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 03:21:53 PM »

FDR did incredible harm to this country over his four destructive terms. It's the same logic that would say that Hitler and Stalin were needed in their times.

FDR=Hitler?

lol
I'm glad you find the thought of mass-murdering fascist dictators funny.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 01:22:58 PM »

FDR=Hitler?

lol

Says the monarchist.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 01:24:37 PM »

FDR=Hitler?

lol

Says the anarchist*.

Fixed.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 01:26:50 PM »

FDR=Hitler?

lol

Says the anarchist*.

Fixed.

I'm an anarchist?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 01:38:39 PM »

He had the right idea about how to set up social security (though running wild on the sums he proposed to spend), and FDR knew it. But also knew the German inspired thing the US eventually got was the best to be gotten through Congress.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 03:02:24 PM »

FF to the max
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 03:22:25 PM »

Your optimism is touching.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies