Is the "Third Way"/radical centrism politically dead in America?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:15:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is the "Third Way"/radical centrism politically dead in America?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Is the "Third Way"/radical centrism politically dead in America?  (Read 1581 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »

I'm rather torn on this. I doubt the DLC will ever get their man in the way they did in 1992 again. But I wonder if this idea might have life after the 90s? Could you ever build a lasting national consensus around it, the way Roosevelt did for liberalism or Reagan for conservatism?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »

Since I'm a cynic, yes.

The fringes of both parties have taken over their respective party leaderships.  The moderate/centrist majority in America is forced to pick the lesser of two evils.  And most of them are pretty content with this.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 05:44:44 PM »

What part of Ind voting huge for Obama last year, and huge for the Republicans this year did you not understand?  The Middle still dominates American political life, even if the extremes of both sides have taken over the media and their respective parties.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 07:51:30 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2009, 08:06:41 PM by Effigy ™ »

Since I'm a cynic, yes.

The fringes of both parties have taken over their respective party leaderships.  The moderate/centrist majority in America is forced to pick the lesser of two evils.  And most of them are pretty content with this.

I'm not really seeing how the 'fringes' have taken over. The Democrats might have shifted towards unapologetic Keynesianism again but Obama isn't governing that differently from Bush as far as the war on terror, financial sector regulation, etc. is concerned even putting aside the impending tax hikes and attempts at taking over even more of the healthcare industry.

The truth IMO is both parties are unstable and are alienating their base. The Democrats can barely agree on an agenda even with control of two whole branches and their approvals are tanking. Meanwhile the Republicans are in a state of civil war with the neo cons/establishment, token moderates/liberals and tea party insurgency all duking it out. If anything the public is probably radicalizing out of fear and a dearth of real leadership (might be projecting there though).
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »

maybe some what with his foreign policy. But Fiscal wise he isint.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies