Obama to End HIV Ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:34:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to End HIV Ban
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama to End HIV Ban  (Read 1631 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »
« edited: October 30, 2009, 12:09:20 PM by Lunar »

I guess something passed by the previous legislature, signed by George W. Bush, and which was based in Jesse Helm's irrational bigotry, wasn't worth keeping around after all, even if it means leaving Saudi Arabia behind in order to join the rest of the world.

But it turns out that Obama at least has the slightest amount of cajones for finally getting around to this Smiley And no, I don't have HIV, it was just a really backwards policy that didn't  belong in this century.

A couple of years ago Michelle and I were in Africa and we tried to combat the stigma when we were in Kenya by taking a public HIV/AIDS test.  And I'm proud to announce today we're about to take another step towards ending that stigma.

Twenty-two years ago, in a decision rooted in fear rather than fact, the United States instituted a travel ban on entry into the country for people living with HIV/AIDS.  Now, we talk about reducing the stigma of this disease -- yet we've treated a visitor living with it as a threat.  We lead the world when it comes to helping stem the AIDS pandemic -- yet we are one of only a dozen countries that still bar people from HIV from entering our own country.If we want to be the global leader in combating HIV/AIDS, we need to act like it.

And that's why, on Monday my administration will publish a final rule that eliminates the travel ban effective just after the New Year.  Congress and President Bush began this process last year, and they ought to be commended for it.  We are finishing the job.  It's a step that will encourage people to get tested and get treatment, it's a step that will keep families together, and it's a step that will save lives.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:10:37 PM »

It's also amusing he chose Friday, the day that politicians use to bury news.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »

Great. We need to slacken, if not totally remove, all travel restrictions anyway.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:13:35 PM »

Good news.

Now when is Canada going to let people with DUI's in to visit?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 12:17:15 PM »

Disgusting. When will he learn that he is President of the United States and not President of the world? Yuck...this makes me sick.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »

Disgusting. When will he learn that he is President of the United States and not President of the world? Yuck...this makes me sick.

huh?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »

You hateful person.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 12:59:47 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2009, 01:02:35 PM by Lunar »

wtf?  this is something George Bush signed but hadn't been enacted yet   

but way to not show a single drop of human compassion
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 01:02:36 PM »

Reaganfan, pull your head out of your ass and just think about someone other than you and your goddamned moralistic beliefs for once. You seriously need to stop being a bigot to people who aren't like you.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »

lolnaso
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »

Stupid decision by obama. 

Reagan fan do not be descouraged by the idiots here.  They resent you for having convictions instead of flip flopping and changing with the winds of political correctness.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 06:04:07 PM »

Why?  Do you fear that they will 'give it to you'?

What about if some rich has that ailment?  Shouldn't he be able to fly to the good Ole USA for some of that fine quality elite medical care? (there's a rumor here that theThai heir apparent has that illness).

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 06:06:59 PM »

Stupid decision by obama. 

Reagan fan do not be descouraged by the idiots here.  They resent you for having convictions instead of flip flopping and changing with the winds of political correctness.

Stupid  grammar by you.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 06:56:52 PM »

Reagan fan do not be descouraged by the idiots here. 

I know not all of you have realized that he's a fake poster, but I just thought I'd point that out so people don't crap all over my thread by taking the bait.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 07:10:01 PM »

Dude, HIV/AIDS, not Ebola. Unless you like to shoot up after people, have unprotected sex, or have a doctor who sucks at keeping a clean work environment, I really don't see what is wrong with this.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »

Dude, HIV/AIDS, not Ebola. Unless you like to shoot up after people, have unprotected sex, or have a doctor who sucks at keeping a clean work environment, I really don't see what is wrong with this.

oh man, that'd be such a crappy doctor

hey man watch out for that bloody needle on the floor....oh man, you totally ignored my warning, this one is on you bro

I think that's extremely rare even for the third world, let alone america
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 11:18:20 PM »

I didn't even know this existed. Oh well, good I guess.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 03:07:03 AM »

A couple of years ago Michelle and I were in Africa and we tried to combat the stigma when we were in Kenya by taking a public HIV/AIDS test.

You tried to combat the stigma of being with Michelle in Africa?  Why, Lunar, did Michelle invite you of all people to go to Kenya, just to get an AIDS test?  You can get an AIDS test in the USA.

Lunar, I'm afraid your speeches make no sense.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 03:29:55 AM »

A couple of years ago Michelle and I were in Africa and we tried to combat the stigma when we were in Kenya by taking a public HIV/AIDS test.

You tried to combat the stigma of being with Michelle in Africa?  Why, Lunar, did Michelle invite you of all people to go to Kenya, just to get an AIDS test?  You can get an AIDS test in the USA.

Lunar, I'm afraid your speeches make no sense.

Neither does your Mom but I don't stop making speeches and I don't stop...well, err, have a good night.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies