McGovern grandson pegged as possible Thune challenger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 10:45:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  McGovern grandson pegged as possible Thune challenger
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McGovern grandson pegged as possible Thune challenger  (Read 1492 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:56:45 AM »

more likely he's just putting out his name now to build interest for whatever office he does eventually decide to run for in a few years

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20091029/NEWS/910290326/1001/news/McGovern-grandson-pegged-as-possible-Thune-challenger

As South Dakota Democrats scan the horizon for a challenger to Sen. John Thune next year, one name starting to appear has a familiar ring to it.

Matt McGovern, the grandson of former Sen. George McGovern, is emerging as a potential contender to Thune, who is seeking his second term in the Senate. The few big names in the Democratic Party have already committed to other races, and a thin bench could give McGovern a clear shot at Thune.

McGovern, 37, is the state director for Repower America, a national group founded by former Vice President Al Gore to promote clean energy and policies that address climate change. He also served as President Obama's state chairman during last year's campaign.

In an interview last week, McGovern said he's not a candidate for any office right now. His first priority is to encourage lawmakers to support policies that would create thousands of clean-energy jobs in South Dakota.

"It's flattering to hear your name mentioned in that way," he said. "I've always been interested in public service."

McGovern is the son of George McGovern's daughter, Susan, and until a few years ago he went by the name Matt McGovern-Rowen.

George McGovern last week called his grandson a "very good young man."

"I don't know what he's going to do in terms of seeking higher office," the former senator said.

With one year before the election, Democrats are keen on finding somebody who can give Thune a good run. It will take somebody with fortitude. The Republican enjoys widespread popularity in a red state, and he's sitting on a mountain of money - $5.5 million at the end of the last quarter.

McGovern could be an intriguing choice because of ties to old-guard McGovernite Democrats and to the new guard that has emerged under Obama.

Typically, successful candidates for Congress have already won elections to lower office, but that is becoming less common, said Gary Aguiar, a political science professor at South Dakota State University. Thune and Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin won congressional seats without the benefit of holding lower offices.

"It's kind of obvious: You have to have name recognition and be able to raise money," Aguiar said. "He does have a little bit of both."

Rick Hauffe, the former executive director of the state party, said it's essential that Democrats find a quality candidate who can make Thune spend his resources here.

Under federal campaign finance rules, Thune could use his money to support races in other parts of the country.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:00:57 AM »

The McGovern name is as good as gold to me. I'd vote for him in a heartbeat if he's anything like his grandfather: honest to a fault, principled, and dovish. Unfortunately, it may be quite the opposite to actually Dakotans.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:04:41 AM »

The McGovern name is as good as gold to me. I'd vote for him in a heartbeat if he's anything like his grandfather: honest to a fault, principled, and dovish. Unfortunately, it may be quite the opposite to actually Dakotans.

And Thune is a C-Streeter, which means he has what, a 50% of a sex scandal?

The last time grandpappy McGovern made news was earlier this year when he came out against the card-check despite being hella old.  I wonder how that impacts grandkid McGovern's chances in the general.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:53:24 AM »

^^^^
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 10:24:12 AM »

I hope he runs at least to get name recognition.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 11:33:59 AM »

LOL, McGovern.  What are Mondale's kids doing these days?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »

Eating dinner at 4pm, complaining about rock music, and buying Depends undergarmets.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 09:33:32 PM »

Eating dinner at 4pm, complaining about rock music, and buying Depends undergarmets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXcIJYh0YnE
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 11:58:21 AM »

I don't think Thune is in much danger next year barring a scandal.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »

I don't think Thune is in much danger next year barring a scandal.

He IS a C-Streeter. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies