Suffolk U.: Corzine up 9 in real headscratcher
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:25:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Suffolk U.: Corzine up 9 in real headscratcher
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Suffolk U.: Corzine up 9 in real headscratcher  (Read 3400 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »

This poll seems... quite inexplicable.  But whatever, full disclosure even of bad polls, right?

http://www.politickernj.com/wallye/34486/poll-includes-all-12-gubernatorial-candidates-has-daggett-7

Gov. Jon Corzine leads Christopher Christie 42%-33% among likely voters, with 7% for Christopher Daggett, according to a Suffolk University poll released today.  Nine other independent candidates were included in the poll, with Jason Cullen, Alvin Lindsay and Gary Steele each receiving 1% of the vote.

Corzine has favorables of 45%-46%, while Christie is at 34%-46%.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:45:32 AM »

Hahaha. No, that's too good to be true.

He could be ahead by a few points, but not by 9.

Especially not among likely voters ...
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:51:17 AM »

When I talked to Quinnipiac University about doing just this a few weeks ago—including all 12 candidates in the same poll—they said they decided against it for reasons that it hurts the accuracy of the topline numbers.  Their 1997 poll of Whitman/McGreevey/Entire Field accurately showed the support of Murray Sabrin (L), but failed to come close to the end result with regard to McGreevey and Whitman's numbers.

Perhaps that can be said about this poll too: It's a good look into Daggett's real support (I'd say 7% is about spot-on at this point) without being a worthy D vs. R poll.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:33:25 AM »

So the other 12 Indies each get 1%? lulz
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:35:19 AM »

Oh and Corzine's favorables are laughable too.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:37:58 AM »

No, I guess the 3 candidates mentioned each received 1%, while the others were listed but got no support.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »

Okay, but the number of undecideds is still absurd.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 09:51:58 AM »

Over what days was this poll taken?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 09:54:40 AM »

Politicsdaily.com has more on the poll:

A Suffolk University poll conducted Oct. 22-25 breaks away from the pack of recent New Jersey polls, which have all showed a close race, and says Gov. Jon Corzine is leading Republican Chris Christie by a comfortable 42 percent to 33 percent with independent Chris Daggett (who had for the first time notched 20 percent in a survey last week) now at 7 percent. Fourteen percent are undecided. The margin of error is 5 points.

Suffolk said Daggett may be suffering from the way the New Jersey ballot is set up, showing him on different places on the ballot depending on the county,

"Independent Chris Daggett struggles to be found on the ballot, which benefits Jon Corzine, whose campaign is peaking at the right time for him," said Suffolk's David Paleologos.

Seventy-two percent of voters said their minds were made up while 24 percent said they might change their minds. Both Christie and Corzine voters were in that range but only 56 percent of Daggett voters said they were definitely going to vote for him.

Among undecided voters, 25 percent said they would vote for Corzine if they had to make up their minds right now, 15 percent names Christie and 2 percent named Daggett. Fifty-five percent clung to being undecided.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/10/26/new-poll-shows-corzine-with-comfortable-lead-in-nj/
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 09:58:25 AM »

Hmm, taken in the wake of Obama's big appearance with him on the 21st...

It's probably just a bad poll but I'll certainly be looking forward to seeing the next batch of polls.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »

The release is now out by Suffolk and as usual, they did their bellwether survey of a random county, this time Gloucester County on Oct. 24/25:

Bellwether analysis

The 2009 New Jersey bellwether of Gloucester County showed Corzine leading Christie 41 percent to 30 percent, with Daggett getting 11 percent.  However, Daggett is listed third on the Gloucester county ballots, right after Corzine and Christie, which may account for a slightly higher number than in the statewide poll, since Daggett is listed lower on the ballot in many of the other counties.  In the 2005 New Jersey governor’s race, each candidate’s Gloucester County results were within 1 percent of their statewide numbers.  Bellwether samples are designed to predict outcomes -- not margins -- and to supplement the Suffolk statewide polls.

In 2008, Suffolk University bellwethers were 95 percent accurate in predicting straight-up winners in both Democratic and Republican primaries, and, when in agreement with the statewide Suffolk polls of the respective states, were 100 percent accurate in predicting straight-up winners.

Methodology

The Suffolk University statewide poll was conducted Oct. 22 through Oct. 25, 2009.  The margin of error on the study of 400 is +/- 5 percent at a 95 percent level of confidence.  All respondents from the New Jersey statewide survey were likely voters. Separate from the statewide study, there were 350 respondents identified from Gloucester County on Oct. 24 and 25.

http://suffolk.edu/38934.html
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »

Concerning the races SU has been much more favorable to the Dems like Deval Patrick.  I wouldn't say that Corzine wins by this much, but its an indicator that Corzine might win 4-5 pts on election day.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 10:24:57 AM »

Now we have a problem:

I wanted to enter the poll into the database and you (WEB Dubois) did the same.

Now we have 2 polls in there but I already mailed Dave so he can remove one of them ... Wink
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 10:27:52 AM »

I deleted my poll so its fixed.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »

Thx. How did you delete it ?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 10:33:31 AM »

lol. Classic Quincy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 10:34:37 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2009, 10:36:17 AM by WEB Dubois »

I simply removed the data from the poll, when you make a thread to stop other uses from duplicating a poll, plse enter the poll along with the thread. It will make a lot of things easier.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:54 AM »

I simply removed the data from the poll, when you make a thread to stop other uses from duplicating a poll, plse enter the poll along with the thread. It will make a lot of things easier.

Yeah sure, but Mr. Moderate posted it earlier out of a news release and there were no official Suffolk numbers yet, so when the Suffolk release came out, I posted it, went to the database and entered "existing thread". I didn't know you were creating one at the same time ... Tongue Wink

But anyway, good to know how to delete them, after putting hundreds of polls into this database ...
Swing Voter
swingvoter
Rookie
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 10:56:55 AM »

I am having trouble believing that Christie has managed to blow such a significant lead in this race. Quite astonishing. No doubt, I prefer Dagget, but I do not see any reason for New Jersey voters to actually return Jon Corzine to office. If only Dagget had a chance to win, then we would have a real race on our hands!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 11:14:40 AM »

I am having trouble believing that Christie has managed to blow such a significant lead in this race. Quite astonishing. No doubt, I prefer Dagget, but I do not see any reason for New Jersey voters to actually return Jon Corzine to office. If only Dagget had a chance to win, then we would have a real race on our hands!

I feel the same way, I don't know if I could get myself to vote for Corzine if I lived in New Jersey, but I am somehow sickly rooting for him at this point. I don't have anything against Christie for that matter, but it would simply be so delightfully delicious if GOP confidence in NJ was once again fool's gold Smiley
Swing Voter
swingvoter
Rookie
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 11:18:30 AM »

I feel the same way, I don't know if I could get myself to vote for Corzine if I lived in New Jersey, but I am somehow sickly rooting for him at this point. I don't have anything against Christie for that matter, but it would simply be so delightfully delicious if GOP confidence in NJ was once again fool's gold Smiley

From lurking, and posting a bit today, I think I might agree with you on quite a bit. I never thought Corzine would have been able to comeback even when Christie was facing Lonegan in the primary. Turns out all the claims that Corzine would end up winning were correct. At first, Dagget was hurting Corzine by taking the moderate liberal vote, now he is hurting Christie by usurping the anti-Corzine vote from all sides that aren't conservative Republicans.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 12:49:18 PM »

Turns out all the claims that Corzine would end up winning were correct..

Well now, hold on.  This election hasn't happened yet.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »

The director of the Monmouth poll calls this poll BS.

http://monmouthpoll.blogspot.com/2009/10/understanding-unaffiliated-voters.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 02:01:04 PM »

Thats not the only problem of this poll. Looking through the crosstabs:

Corzine also leads 35-31-10 among Independents, while in almost every other poll Christie was ahead among Independents by 15-25.

So that poll is probably a crazy outlier.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 02:15:31 PM »

If we re-weight the Suffolk numbers to a more likely Exit Poll (45% DEM, 30% GOP, 25% IND):

Corzine: 44% (75% DEM, 6% GOP, 35% IND)
Christie: 35% (4% DEM, 86% GOP, 31% IND)
Daggett: 6% (4% DEM, 6% GOP, 10% IND)

So there isn't any change ...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies