Upset of the Century: McCain Defeats Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:01:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Upset of the Century: McCain Defeats Obama  (Read 1465 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2009, 05:42:04 PM »
« edited: October 25, 2009, 07:22:10 PM by SoIA NiK »

They called it the greatest upset in American history. It was the fall of a change candidate, and yet another presidential defeat for the Democratic Party. In an election where the current president and his party was perceived as unpopular, stupid, and incompetent, how on earth  did this old man beat this youthful, energetic, and likeable young African-American? Perhaps it could be linked back to that fateful September, where an economic collapse later called “The Panic of ‘08” suddenly emerged to dominate the political field. Now, in a political climate with two costly wars, a suspected recession, and a reviled American foreign policy, how in the world did John McCain defeat Barack Obama? The unexpected victory would have profound implications for America - and the world - for years to come.    
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 05:42:49 PM »

Coolio
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »

Yah, tell if yall like it, and I'll continue.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2009, 07:24:08 PM by SoIA NiK »

In September of 2008, John McCain and Barack Obama were virtually tied in the polls. After trailing Obama for most of the year, this was good news for the McCain campaign. In Ohio and Florida, McCain was clinging to narrow leads. In Colorado, a traditionally Republican-leaning state, the race was a dead heat. With the selection of Sarah Palin, a conservative candidate from “up north” in Alaska, McCain had pulled ahead a few points in the nationwide trend. John McCain was, indisputably, a phoenix, rising from the ashes of the Republican Party.

Rising in the Polls: John McCain is a Phoenix

The ticket of McCain/Palin was providing hell for the Obama campaign. “People are beginning to think they can make change! I want this resurgence squashed immediately!” A distraught Obama forcefully told a shaken Axelrod. The resurgence, followed by a misstep by the Obama campaign that allegedly labeled VP candidate Palin as a "pig," was taking a bite into Obama’s nationwide numbers. “Will he win?” became a frequently asked question. But in the next few days, the question would morph into: “Will he save my job?”

The Candidates at the World Trade Center
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 07:34:43 PM »

I'll try my best. My schoolwork is overwhelming, but the good thing about this timeline is that it will go into the future, so I can choose the end date when I feel like it.
MatthewZD
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -1.04

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:26:23 PM »

I'm intrigued as well. 

I'm surprised you're keeping Palin as VP, though.  I thought for sure that would be the divergence point.  IMO when McCain chose Palin, that turned off many moderates like myself who thought the argument of inexperience against Obama was a strong one and was negated when he chose the equally inexperienced Palin.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 03:06:53 AM »

Interesting. But keeping Palin in the ticket makes it very unrealistic.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 11:12:55 PM »

More will come later, probably tomorrow. I have October written, I've just neglected to post it.

Palin stays, she is critical to this timeline. The end date of this is January 2009, followed by an epilogue.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 11:14:54 PM »

Interesting. But keeping Palin in the ticket makes it very unrealistic.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 11:17:30 PM »

I understant that much; But Palin, in the end, I don't think had much of an affect in ending McCain. I think George Bush did. Had the VP Nominee been Romney or Pawlenty, not much would have been different in the end result.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies