The California parliament project
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:05:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The California parliament project
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The California parliament project  (Read 3889 times)
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:28:16 PM »

Hey all,

I've been using Dave's Redistricting App to create California districts of about 100,000 people each.  That would make a total of 339 districts ultimately.  I've only really worked on areas of California that I know decently well or that are easy for other reasons, and I don't plan to spend all that much effort on this.

The idea is to have districts that, as much as possible, reflect communities.  No gerrymandering or anything like that.  So far almost all the districts have been less than 1000 people off and all have been less than 1300 off.  I'd love it if people helped, submitted alternative maps and such.  I know that a number of people here know way more than I do about California political geography in general, and some of you know stuff about the East Bay, Central Valley, Orange and San Diego counties, perhaps even the San Fernando Valley, Inland Empire, and Gateway Cities, which I don't.  Well, maybe I know something about the East Bay, but not enough to feel excited about partitioning it.

I'm going to follow up with several posts displaying my maps and detailing decisions.  Let's start with Silicon Valley.

So, I started out with a very nice district consisting of Palo Alto, Portola Valley, and Los Altos Hills, and worked from there.  Of course, this was a bad place to start, and I realized later there were two things wrong: first, San Benito County, with only 50,000 people and not really combining well with anything besides Gilroy, was left dangling; and there was an unfortunate monstrosity stretching from southern Pacifica to northern Santa Cruz.  Neither of these could really be fixed without reconfiguring that area.  Since I insisted on keeping Palo Alto together, I produced the teal monstrosity which combines all the rich foothill people.  I apologize for that.

I'm fairly proud of the Mt. View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Santa Clara, Milpitas/SR-237 triangle, and West San Jose districts.  East of that, I didn't really know what I was doing, so if someone knows the neighborhoods of San Jose they should make a different map.

Next, San Francisco and San Mateo County:

I'm not an expert on San Francisco, and I was kind of lazy about figuring out what's going on there, so again I would appreciate a reconfiguring.  Other than that, not much to say about this, really.  I tingle to think how liberal the light pink district would be.

Gilroy and Santa Cruz to Monterey:

After the coastal San Mateo district got straightened out, the situation further south improved too.  I like the compact Monterey Peninsula district.  Light teal and dark red continue on to SLO County.

San Luis Obispo:

The SR-1 and US-101 districts continue.  There's also a district containing San Luis Obispo proper.

Santa Barbara and Ventura:

What do people think of the split between inner Santa Barbara on the one hand, and Goleta and Carpinteria on the other?  This is also the first time you really see the ridiculousness of using block groups.  Their graph-theoretic dual would make way more sense.

Southern Ventura County:

I made two versions, and I don't really like either of them.  Then again, I don't really know the area, I was going entirely by the physical and road geography.  Also, more stupid block groups.

Parts of Los Angeles County:

Note how the selected district is 53% Asian.  The two next to it are Asian plurality, but unfortunately only 49% and 44%.  LOL.  Some of this map is bullshit, as in I didn't really know what I was doing, but I'm pretty happy with the Asian, Hollywood, Pasadena, Monterey Hills/Highland Park, Silver Lake/Echo Park, and Santa Monica/Venice districts.

The North Bay:

Mauve stretches to the north end of Sonoma County; dark gray envelops Lake County.  The problem with Lake County is that it doesn't really fit politically with anything else.  It's not particularly hippie like Mendocino, nor particularly agricultural like the stuff to the east, nor even in the way that Napa is, as far as I can tell.  I don't really like the Napa County solution, meaning the way I was forced to combine Napa with bits of Vallejo, but I couldn't think of anything better.

The far north:

Purple takes in all of Mendocino, as you can also see on this (partial) overview map:

Though since I made it I've done more.  Here's the far northeast:

and the mountain region:

which is not a particularly well-informed map, it's sort of haphazard.

Finally the desert region:

The sand-colored thing isn't really a district, it's just sort of there.  Here's an inset map:

I think there's some sense to these districts.  The neon green one is a US-395 district, so it makes sense despite a slightly odd shape.  The rest starts from the Imperial Valley and Twentynine Palms and fills in, which is why it's sort of offset.  Maybe there's a better way to do this stuff, I don't know.

Anyway, fire away.  I hope to see lots of maps in this thread!

Also, you should probably track me down and shoot me if I spend much more time on this, ever.  Especially since I have to go to the library to access a computer which runs the app properly.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 11:54:48 PM »

I was considering doing this, but I realized I know nothing at all about Southern California. I would be in the Cupertino district. Nicely done there.
Joe Cooper
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 01:43:28 AM »

I was considering doing this, but I realized I know nothing at all about Southern California. I would be in the Cupertino district. Nicely done there.

I moved from Santa Clara County a year ago, after living there 40 years

Cd 6: Republican Woodside, Los Altos. Probably the only one in the county. Upscale, wealthy. Los Gatos would be the ghetto for the district.

Cd 3 Cupertino. Asian majority

Cd 4 Sunnyvale  Asian majority

Cd 5 Santa Clara D

CD 1  Democratic. Stanford University

Cd 2 Mountain View Heavy dose of Latino? D

Cd 13  Latino majority [central SJ]

Cd 9 south sJ . Anglo D

Cd 19 heavy latino and asian

cd 10 pink san jose  heavy latino and asian- asian in the north and latino in south

cd 13  East san jose  heavy asian and latino. mixe up the areas there.

cd  blue  se san jose  heavy anglo and asian

milpitas  asian majority.
greay  anglo

as a guideline to Santa Clara county, it would be fair to say that it is 1/3 anglo, 1/3 asian, and 1/3 latino.

Asians tend to cluster in 1] Cupertino and Sunnyvale   tends more to Chinese
2] Milpitas, Evergreen   tends more Vietnames.

Latinos tend to cluster in central SJ and the adjacent cd just east and se of central sj.

Whites are more clustered in s sj, - like blue.

The ethnic clusters are nowhere near as dense as those you might find in the older cities of the east, with the exception possibly of some areas of central sj and east, where some dense clusters of Latinos might be found in the older areas. but even these may have substantial clusters of especially Asians.  But all ethnic groups have substantial numbers elsewhere in the county.

I think it will be possible to create a majority Asian Congressional district in Santa clara county, or a majority Latino district.  But it would not be possible to create both.

A few days ago I worked up a 45% Asian CD, but that was based on 2000 ethnic patterns.  Since then, Asians have significantly increased their presence.

cd 

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:59:44 AM »

Very well done. You should certainly attempt the east bay and Orange county. I could let you know if I see anything that seems obviously wrong. But you may know more than me about the inner east bay.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies