The Consequences of a McCain Victory?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:05:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Consequences of a McCain Victory?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Consequences of a McCain Victory?  (Read 2677 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »

What if on November 4, 2008... McCain pulled off one of the greatest political upsets in history and won the Presidency. How would America... and the world... react?
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 07:46:57 AM »

Hmm, tough one.  I can imagine some slight conflict with congress, assuming that amidst McCain's presidential victory the results of the congressional elections remain the same as in real life, but of course other Republicans like Nixon and Bush Sr. both got on pretty well with 0% control of congress, as did Reagan with a Democratic house and a Democratic senate in his final 2 years.  I kind of imagine that there'd be more focus on foreign issues rather than domestic amongst other things, and I'm uncertain about healthcare reform, DADT and all that, though.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »

The US would still be as hated by the world as it was under Bush.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »

A minimal version of the stimulus would've passed based primarily on across the board tax cuts, resulting in the economy being in even somewhat worse shape than it is currently. No cash for clunkers and the resulting small burst of growth to the manufacturing sector, and health care reform of any meaningful variety would be dead as a doornail.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 11:24:30 PM »

I still thought we were.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 01:57:55 AM »

I still thought we were.

No.  Not at all.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 01:34:01 PM »

I still thought we were.
PSSST!
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7016643298?Obama%20Wins%20Nobel%20Peace%20Prize

But he failed to get the Olympics to Chicago, so I guess nothing has really changed, right?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »

I still thought we were.
PSSST!
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7016643298?Obama%20Wins%20Nobel%20Peace%20Prize

But he failed to get the Olympics to Chicago, so I guess nothing has really changed, right?

It seems they've fallen head over heels for the new cool guy in the White House but their not yet ready to commit to a long-term relationship with the rest of the American family.

I always thought that views of the US have improved, modestly, but are still predominantly negative.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:31:26 AM »

I still thought we were.
PSSST!

It seems they've fallen head over heels for the new cool guy in the White House but their not yet ready to commit to a long-term relationship with the rest of the American family.

I always thought that views of the US have improved, modestly, but are still predominantly negative.

I do believe the perception of the US in the world has changed dramatically since Bush's departure. This is not surprising of course, since before the Iraq debacle we were a very popular country. We are just returning to normalcy. Some think that the world hates us because of our wealth and our influence but this is not true. Only when we use that power to act like douchebags do they get mad at us.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 11:55:53 PM »

I would like to see an extreme TL or scenario where the Presidency is stolen from Barack Obama, maybe not intentionally, by McCain --regardless, as a result violence ensues and racial tensions are at an all time high. McCain dies early into his term and Sarah Palin takes the reigns. Then all sh**t breaks loose and then we have a divided America. I think it would be interesting.
Jacobtm

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 01:55:03 PM »

I think the stress would've killed the guy in short order, leaving President Palin to deal with the world.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »

Similar Presidency to Obama, but probably even less ambitious. McCain would try to hold the line against Right and Left, and in the end leave office in 2013 hated by everyone and having foregone reelection. He would have deserved better, but the US needed bold leadership, and its not getting that with Obama. McCain struck me as a much weaker figure.

Also, all of his Foreign Policy people were nuts. They were a whose who of the neocons Rice and Gates fired after 2006. I doubt there was a candidate since McGovern with such a collection of awful people.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies