Voting Reform Amendment [Failed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:18:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Voting Reform Amendment [Failed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Voting Reform Amendment [Failed]  (Read 4639 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:42:49 AM »
« edited: October 23, 2009, 06:14:54 AM by Sen. Marokai Blue, PPT »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Hashemite
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:44:45 AM »

I support this. The length of time was a bit long in my previous bill.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:02 AM »

Surprisingly I have conflicting feelings. Will 10 extra days actually matter here? In my mind, you either make a serious requirement or leave it as is.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:23:26 AM »

Surprisingly I have conflicting feelings. Will 10 extra days actually matter here? In my mind, you either make a serious requirement or leave it as is.

This is game reform, not Afghanistan. Wink

I do think it's important to allow new members to vote within some semi-short period after registering. That said, we need to stop passing and re-passing changes that create a patchwork of regulations depending on when you registered. Let's get this right and be done with it.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »

I do think it's important to allow new members to vote within some semi-short period after registering. That said, we need to stop passing and re-passing changes that create a patchwork of regulations depending on when you registered. Let's get this right and be done with it.

But isn't Atlasia supposed to be a "plaything" for regular forum members? If people are registering here just for Atlasia, that's not what this game is made for.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »

But isn't Atlasia supposed to be a "plaything" for regular forum members? If people are registering here just for Atlasia, that's not what this game is made for.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with this reform. I just want to make sure that in 2 months the Senate isn't upping this to 30 days or 40 days. It creates an odd patchwork for the SoFA to sift through and easily confuses new members.

Of course, while it may have started as a plaything for regular forum members, I do think there is virtue to maintaining this is a somewhat open game. Atlasia has always thrived off some sort of "new blood." Definitely the "state hopping" amendment is warranted and having this up to a month is a productive move. I just want the Senate to make sure it gets this right and isn't amending it again soon.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 05:52:08 PM »

I'm still hesitant to vote for this, as ten days isn't a long time, and all it will really do is confuse people even more about registration requirements.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »

Either keep it at 15, or bump it to 30.  25 is such an odd number of days.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »

I wouldn't mind if a Senator piggy-backed an increase of the post requirement for registering into this amendment.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »

I wouldn't mind if a Senator piggy-backed an increase of the post requirement for registering into this amendment.

I was actually thinking of doing that. What seems like a reasonable number? 100? 200?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 10:23:54 PM »

I was actually thinking of doing that. What seems like a reasonable number? 100? 200?

I think 150+ seems appropriate.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 10:41:29 PM »

I offer the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 10:42:52 PM »

Posting requirements are pointless. And Purple State, remember that you're GM, not Senator.

I've explained before why these are pointless. Trolls and zombies spam and post on direction. We've had a variety of people that posted dozens of times in a very very short period of time, while the reasonable and intelligent posters who take their time and don't post on the order to do so increase their post count much more slowly.

It does nothing to solve the problem and only hurts legit members. No thank you.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »

Posting requirements are pointless. And Purple State, remember that you're GM, not Senator.

So? I am also one of the strongest proponents of game reform and an officer of the government. You won't be silencing me. Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 11:51:05 PM »

I've explained before why these are pointless. Trolls and zombies spam and post on direction. We've had a variety of people that posted dozens of times in a very very short period of time, while the reasonable and intelligent posters who take their time and don't post on the order to do so increase their post count much more slowly.

It does nothing to solve the problem and only hurts legit members. No thank you.

I agree with this. Even if you increase the posting requirements, some jackass is going to spam the forum for a few days and get there. Time limits are the only way to prevent this. I also think you should have to declare your party affiliation when registering.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 12:07:35 AM »

No, no, no.

This will just make it harder for real posters.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »

No, no, no.

Why is 25 days too long?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 01:05:21 AM »

No, no, no.

Why is 25 days too long?

I registered my first day.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 01:06:23 AM »

No, no, no.

Why is 25 days too long?

I registered my first day.

I registered my like 75th day. Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 06:57:36 AM »

Yeah, as much as I may have supported posting requirements, it's been made quite clear to me that trolls won't hesitate to spam/troll/post inanities to get the required post count if they want to join or, more likely, if they're sent a PM about joining.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 07:32:01 AM »

And barely has enough post to register at the time, If I remember correctly. A very innactive 75 days if you asked me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 10:04:43 PM »

I registered on my 10th day, though granted I was PM'd by Xahar about it. Still, I find this attitude that any real poster will have no problem with waiting indefinitely to join Atlasia rather bizarre.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 10:05:39 PM »

And barely has enough post to register at the time, If I remember correctly. A very innactive 75 days if you asked me.

I prefer to read than post, to be honest. My post count is mostly from Atlasia and the Forum Community. I rarely venture outside into the open Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 10:30:38 PM »

I registered on my 10th day, though granted I was PM'd by Xahar about it. Still, I find this attitude that any real poster will have no problem with waiting indefinitely to join Atlasia rather bizarre.

Yeah. I don't think most people join the forum to join Atlasia. Rather they discover it after they get here. And the requirement is already 15 days and I don't see anything wrong with increasing it to 25. Interested members can wait an extra week.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 11:44:58 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2009, 12:08:17 AM by Lt. Governor PiT »

Yeah. I don't think most people join the forum to join Atlasia. Rather they discover it after they get here. And the requirement is already 15 days and I don't see anything wrong with increasing it to 25. Interested members can wait an extra week.

I would hope that when it comes to putting up walls, there would be some test more rigorous than not seeing anything wrong with it.

That aside, creating the 15-day limit proved to be an unmitigated failure. Why should the 25-day limit work much better, or for that matter any limit short of the realm of multiple months? In recruiting, I've found that the 50 post limit is actually much more frustrating due to genuine posters like zclark1994 who post infrequently. Increasing the time requirement will probably just lead to yet more increases, due to the fundamental reason that it is nearly worthless.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies