Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:27:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act  (Read 17951 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »

Introduced by Senator Hashemite.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »

This seems awfully generous to the Mideast and skimpy on the relief to the Northeast. The idea of staggering the amount in according to need seems appropriate, but I feel uncomfortable actually doing that.

If that makes sense.

Also I in no way support letting the regional legislatures get their hand on this money. We should determine where it goes.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:46:49 PM »

Also note that not all regions have legislatures Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 07:01:16 AM »

Some regions define their legislatures as universal all-citizens bodies, and the Northeast Assembly was just that until it was changed.

This seems awfully generous to the Mideast and skimpy on the relief to the Northeast. The idea of staggering the amount in according to need seems appropriate, but I feel uncomfortable actually doing that.

I am of the opinion that it is only fairer to help regions with the biggest deficits and/or unemployment the most.

I will oppose any legislation in which the federal government attempts to decide in regions' stead where their cash goes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 07:04:48 AM »

Some regions define their legislatures as universal all-citizens bodies, and the Northeast Assembly was just that until it was changed.

I am of the opinion that it is only fairer to help regions with the biggest deficits and/or unemployment the most.

Fair enough I suppose. I just want to be careful about how we give money like that.

I will oppose any legislation in which the federal government attempts to decide in regions' stead where their cash goes.
[/quote]

That's practically what we do with every other piece of legislation though, so what makes the difference? And since when did you become a defender of regional rights?

Besides, what do you think Clause 3 is there for?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:12:43 AM »

That's practically what we do with every other piece of legislation though, so what makes the difference? And since when did you become a defender of regional rights?

Besides, what do you think Clause 3 is there for?
[/quote]

The stimulus legislation clearly states that it is regional and fiscal relief funds, and I am of the opinion that its use should be determined by regional and local authorities. I'm not an ardent regionalist, but since reform of regions is impossible, we must live by the current constitution. And it also gives some regions something useful to do instead of having fun on little pet legislation.

Section 3 is there if a region does reject the funds, the government can reuse the rejected funds into other useful projects. There's nothing contradictory between 2 and 3.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »

I'm fine with staggering the relief money in accordance to need, but since the money was, as far as I remember, initially appropriated for the general use of paying down their deficits and preventing state employee layoffs, it would seem counterproductive to just let them have the money for whatever they want to use it for.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 09:52:23 AM »

There is no legislative body in the Southeastern region.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 11:10:10 AM »

This is why we need regional senators, I urge my regional senator to ask for more money to Atlasia's most populous region
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »

Hashemite deserves to lose for this
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »

Because I don't seek pork?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 12:52:13 PM »

This is why we need regional senators, I urge my regional senator to ask for more money to Atlasia's most populous region

The region with the most money and the lowest unemployment rate?  That makes no sense at all.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »

Looking to hold another bonfire?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:27:18 PM »

The region with the most money and the lowest unemployment rate?  That makes no sense at all.
The Northeast should be punished for their success?  We have the most people, if we don't get the highest money number, it certainly should be the lowest.  However, $20 billion even is the best idea, or a complete cut of the funds
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »

The Mideast needs the most money, without a doubt.  We need more than the $30 billion that is being appropriated.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »

The Mideast should be given the most money. This bill is will help regions in these tough economic times. The Mideast region has been hit harder than any other region, and we have double-digit unemployment. If anything, we might need more money, not less.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 03:23:54 PM »

The Mideast needs the most money, without a doubt.  We need more than the $30 billion that is being appropriated.
LOL, you are getting the most and still complaining, we have like twice the population and a third of the money, where are you going to get it from?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »

LOL, you are getting the most and still complaining, we have like twice the population and a third of the money, where are you going to get it from?
You don't need the money as much as we do.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 03:30:51 PM »

We have a greater need for the money than you do.  You guys are doing fine; we are not.  We've been hit the hardest, in case you haven't noticed.

I also love how you criticize me, but say nothing when a member of the RPP says exactly the same thing.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »

We have a greater need for the money than you do.  You guys are doing fine; we are not.  We've been hit the hardest, in case you haven't noticed.

I also love how you criticize me, but say nothing when a member of the RPP says exactly the same thing.
I honestly didn't read Tmth's post, it was just as dumb
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »

As a Pacifican, I'm reasonably happy with the money that we would be apportioned under this Act, and I think any reasonable and objective individual should be able to see the Northeast needs the money the least.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 03:41:04 PM »

The following lists the unemployment rate in each region:
Northeast = 7.1%
Mideast = 19.2%
Southeast = 15%
Midwest = 13.8%
Pacific = 7.3%

The unemployment rate is 12.1% higher in the Mideast. 12.1%.....
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 05:09:03 PM »

The numbers I put up are just to get the ball rolling, since waiting for a Presidential decree on the fact didn't bring about anything, and neither did waiting around. And we need to distribute the money. My original thing was in no way intended to be a final, polished product but certainly open to amendments, reform and the like.

On the allocation of funds, you have two, maybe three ways

1. You give it out equally, $20 billion to all to ensure fairness between all regions and no 'favourite' region for money, but running the risk of giving too much money to some regions and having them act like Alberta did, while having regions in dire need of help with not enough funds.
2. You allocate it based on each region's unemployment and deficit, in that regions like the Mideast which have a dire economic outlook get more money while regions which are economically active, up and running like the Northeast or Pacific don't get as much. Downside is that you run of the risk of being accused of favouring a region over another, and of not giving enough moneymoney to your turf. Or also the fact that a region given less funds could unexpectedly go down the sh**thole in terms of the recession and be faced with not enough stimulus funds from the feds.

Or, three, we keep the $100 billion in a secret bank and give it out to regions when they directly ask for a specific amount.

I don't favour any option over the other, both have their positives and negatives, and the third option I put out is also interesting.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 07:31:49 PM »

Because the Northeast isn't exactly well off and we deserve a Senator who will fight for us, not fail regions that can't modernize their economies.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »

Because the Northeast isn't exactly well off and we deserve a Senator who will fight for us, not fail regions that can't modernize their economies.

Dude, for real?  The NE has the lowest unemployment rate and the highest surplus. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies