The Draft
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:07:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  The Draft
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Draft  (Read 1375 times)
FireFighterForBush
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »

Bush clearly has said that under his watch there will be no draft, however Kerry insists that is the truth -- from the debates i have gathered that Kerry wants to add 40,000 troops, and Bush wants to add inteligence and technology, so I ask -- how is Kerry going to get 40,000 troops? Stem Cell research, grow them in a tube? Once again Kerry has brought up ideas without giving clear evidence
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 12:54:48 PM »

Presumably Kerry would get 40,000 additional troops is the same way we had several hundred thousand more troops when Reagan was Predident than we do now, voluntary enlistment.  While Bush's policies are making the Guard and the Reserves both look unattractive, I don't think the same can be said of the Regular forces.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 01:02:29 PM »

MTV's GOTV advertising over the last few days on cable shows a group of kids partying, and one gal tells a guy that he might get drafted, and then the party stops.  This is another example as to why people are believing falsehood.

Personally, I would love a larger military, and it wouldn't take a draft to achieve it.  Simply increase the number of billits and volunteers will come.  Or, as the JCS has stated, allow the 5 branches work with each other and allocate slots across branch lines, so one side can build up their ranks while the other side gives up some.  An example is with the Air Force.  They have the potential to give up a few thousand slots in order to allow the Army to increase their troop levels. 
shankbear

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 02:12:06 PM »

Kerry is out there stirring up the feeble minded.  He is a bit of a nimrod.
Ats
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 03:10:30 PM »

He also supported a draft openly on his website a few months earlier.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 03:19:34 PM »

To get more soldiers, Congress would simply have to authorize it. There are clearly enough volunteers to full the slots.

I'm not sure Kerry is for a draft either, but I think his calling the activation of National Guard units a "back door draft" is slimy. Obviously, it's not a draft in any sense of the word.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 03:25:12 PM »

The practice of implementing Stop Losses is nothing new.  I remember one time the Stop Loss was implemented was at the end of 1992 when Bush lost his re-election.  Many people, including some I sailed with, were trying to leave the military early just so they could have Bush's signature on their discharge paperwork and not Clintons. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 09:47:31 PM »

Here is a possible Republican ad for the last week of the campaign:

"Democrat John Kerry talks about the draft.  Democratic Congressman Charlie Rangel introduces a bill in start up the draft.  What are the Democrats going to do with your children?

"Vote Republican, your children will be safer."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies