Forecasting Healthcare Costs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:29:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Forecasting Healthcare Costs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Forecasting Healthcare Costs  (Read 480 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »
« edited: October 04, 2009, 02:01:29 PM by phknrocket1k »

Link: http://american.com/archive/2009/september/forecasting-the-cost-of-u-s-healthcare

5 measures are highlighted in the article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The article claims that because income elasticity is high, one need not worry about rising health care costs. Something that a lot of prominent economic historians claim.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

On the other hand, it is important that this money is used wisely. Sick patients who want a miracle will pay nearly any price for treatment. If the doctor offers a fancy, high-tech treatment at twice the cost of an equally effective basic treatment, the patient may decide to go for the high-tech apparatus. The thinking is, it’s my life and I want the best technology available. However, if this high-cost high-tech equipment was not made available as a choice–again, assuming it was not better than the basic treatment–I would guess that the patient would be perfectly happy with the effective basic treatment. More a case of supplier-induced demand.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies