Your favorite US Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:02:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Your favorite US Election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Your favorite US Election?  (Read 9683 times)
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 04:27:09 AM »

the "Daisy" ad was probably the second most shameless in history

Max Cleland.

If all humans are inherently dicks, then Saxby Chambliss has to be the High Overlord of complete dicks...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »

Yeah, Saxby Chambliss has diphallia. He's two dicks in one.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »

The 2000s and 1976.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 02:08:23 PM »

2002 was the one I recall enjoying watching the most, save for the unfortunate win scored by Frank Lautenberg.  I had Romney and Carcieri pegged as DOA, and couldn't believe the GOP won New Hampshire and Vermont to boot.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »

1912, when the two-party system almost died.  And 1992 for the same reason.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 04:53:01 PM »

1912, when the two-party system almost died.  And 1992 for the same reason.

In 1912, the two-party system had no chance of dying. The Progressives could have replaced the Republicans, but they would not have coexisted.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 05:18:44 PM »

Thank you for the welcome. I would have, too. I am not only an LBJ Fan, but also a Goldwater opposer. Here is a man who opposed the Civil Rights legislation, and also stuck by Senator Mccarthy even after the false accusations.

Only because your buddy LBJ slipped a nasty little Affirmative Action clause into that bill.  Goldwater had a very strong Civil Rights record if you haven't looked it up. One bill does not define Goldwater.  In fact, LBJ campaigned in the Deep South off of Goldwater's Civil Rights record.

Another reason I oppose Goldwater is he was a warhawk wanting to nuke Vietnam.

As for campaigning off of Goldwater's record in the deep south, the man was a genius politician.

As much as I agree with Giovanni about the Affirmative Action part, I agree with you about Goldwater's warhawk stance. A vote for Barry Goldwater may not have been a vote for institutionalized racism, but it may have been a vote for nuclear armageddon. For that reason alone, for the sake of the future of mankind, I probably would've pulled the lever for LBJ.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »

Yeah, Saxby Chambliss has diphallia. He's two dicks in one.

Somehow I doubt that he's that well endowed.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2009, 09:35:21 AM »

LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »

I'd say the most intriguing is 1968. This was the beginning of the end of the New Deal Coalition, and started laying the groundwork for the rightward shift. The chaos of the election is a great example of the chaos of the whole year itself.

Another fascinating election is 1980. Not only did Carter manage to totally collapse in about 2 months, it also marked the start of the new era of conservatism.

Yet another favorite is 1932- it was the liberal equivalent of 1980, and featured my personal favorite president ever.

And for the record, LBJ was a dick. Though I love the idea of the Great Society and some of the reforms that came from it, his presidency was totally overshadowed by his Vietnam craziness (which, for the record, he didn't seriously try to end) and the fact that he wasn't a nice man in general, and indeed would stab you in the back if he felt it would get him ahead. Plus, the "Daisy" ad was probably the second most shameless in history (after Willie Horton)

Who cares what kind of person Lyndon Johnson was? What kind of a president was he? In my eyes, he was a great president, and wish I could've met him.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2009, 01:12:18 AM »

I'd say the most intriguing is 1968. This was the beginning of the end of the New Deal Coalition, and started laying the groundwork for the rightward shift. The chaos of the election is a great example of the chaos of the whole year itself.

Another fascinating election is 1980. Not only did Carter manage to totally collapse in about 2 months, it also marked the start of the new era of conservatism.

Yet another favorite is 1932- it was the liberal equivalent of 1980, and featured my personal favorite president ever.

And for the record, LBJ was a dick. Though I love the idea of the Great Society and some of the reforms that came from it, his presidency was totally overshadowed by his Vietnam craziness (which, for the record, he didn't seriously try to end) and the fact that he wasn't a nice man in general, and indeed would stab you in the back if he felt it would get him ahead. Plus, the "Daisy" ad was probably the second most shameless in history (after Willie Horton)

Who cares what kind of person Lyndon Johnson was? What kind of a president was he? In my eyes, he was a great president, and wish I could've met him.

What kind of president was he? The kind that would do far less than he was capable of on domestic issues to fight a crappy nation that was no threat to us. And to accomplish this, he basically made up the Gulf of Tonkin. It's basically the 1960s version of Bush saying there was WMDs in Iraq. Lyndon Johnson was not a great president- his social reforms, as great idealistically as they were, were not as good as he promised, and his foreign policy was shameless propaganda against Communism.

And in regards to the Daisy ad, I was talking about presidential elections. Saxby Chambliss, as many people said, is an awful human being, and definitely deserves the award of biggest political dick ever.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2009, 07:21:58 PM »

1892. I absolutely love it.

The Populists and Weaver were ahead of their time, and they were truely a grassroots movement pushed forward by people that demanded change from a system that had neglected them for decades.

Weaver is a president we should have had.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2009, 11:08:47 PM »

1844, Henry Clay was amazing
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »